“Seafood and a view!”

Duke's Chowder House
Reserve with OpenTable
Duke's Chowder House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 764 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was the first restaurant I went to when I moved to Tacoma. So delicious and wonderful view! The crab cakes, the chowder, the blackened salmon pasta, and the award winning grapefruit cocktail- all amazing. Will be back to further my way through the menu- but every visit will include at least a "dingy" of their award winning chowder. Sunset is a wonderful time to sit on the deck and if it gets chilly they'll turn on the heaters.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

we had heard some great things about dukes from friends and we were excited to try it out. we sat outside on the deck and had a great view of the sound. the service was fantastic. we each had a different chowder (i think they have about 1/2 doz on their menu) then i had the crab un-cakes and my husband had the fish tacos. de-lish! we were so full we passed on dessert. will definitely go there again.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Duke's has one of the best Happy Hours in town. We went on Saturday night, and I knew I was going to order the coconut shrimp before I even got there. Five succulent, butterflied, deep fried shimp in a coconut batter arrived at the table with a honey-based chili lime dipping sauce. Accompanied by good-size helping of ginger cole slaw. Since the BF won't eat seafood, had them all to myself. A basket of hot sourdough bread followed in short order. (And will keep coming, if you ask). Their Bloody Mary is a meal unto itself. Spicy tomato juice was the mixer for a drink that came with two prawns on a skewer, a pickled asparagus, and lime wedges. The BF had a Mai Tai that looked beautiful, and tasted even better. Second drink was a Pama Kazi--pom juice and vodka in a martini glass. Moved onto to dinner. BF had a BBQ burger with french fries, and I had a starter mixed greens salad. This is my favorite salad (tried them all). Mixed greens, including spinach, came with candied pecans, bleu cheese crumbles, and orange and grapefruit segments. Get the vinnagrette on the side, or the salad is drowned. Can't imagine getting the full size one, The bill came to $59, which included six drinks, one appetizer, and the two entrees. Service was excellent, as always, and the food was delicious. A new item on the menu is Crabby Mac and Cheese, which comes with a salad. Some of the best Mac and cheese I've ever had. They've expanded their happy hour to include seating on the deck. On a clear day, you can see both the Cascades and the Olympic mountains. Some brave soul might even be para-sailing.
We've always had excellent food, and the service has always been outstanding. Sign up for their e-mail rewards. Every time you eat, a card comes with the bill. Put your e-mail address on it, and within a few days, you will get something from them. We had $10 off two entrees, so this meal was pretty inexpensive. You also get a free meal on your birthday.
Reservations are highly recommended on the weekends, as the wait can be a little long.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

My wife loves wild salmon cooked just so, and she is never disappointed with this order. She recently suggested to our waitress that it would great if Dukes would offer more than just sourdough bread. Any non sourdough bread choice would great.
A few days ago I had their D. Crab stuffed prawns, and was very happy with this choice. Taste and presentation was on the mark.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Dukes is more than good fish tacos, it is the whole atmosphere of being out on the deck on a sunny day with a cold draft beer...