“Good choice for Tacoma, nice service, room ok, possible allergy trigger”

Shilo Inn & Suites Tacoma
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We stayed two different nights in the same week. We were dropping our son at the Tacoma Ferry terminal on Monday and picking him up Saturday for camp, so we stayed Sunday night and again Friday night.

The location was great for us because we rented a car nearby in Tacoma instead of SeaTac, saving hundreds of $ by doing so. It was fairly close to the ferry terminal. There doesn't appear to be lots of decent somewhat affordable choices of hotels in Tacoma. The room was adequate, the first time 2 queen beds, the second time one king bed. There is a small frig and microwave in the room and internet access. Small bathroom. Bed was ok, but not a great night's sleep (a little on the hard side, just regular sheets and polyester bedspread).

The one strange thing was the second time we stayed there, my husband started getting congested and I started sneezing. By the time I went to bed, I had a splitting headache. I went down to the spa (which is open 24 hours which is wonderful) and soaked to try and help the headache get better. I don't know what we were reacting to the room, pet allergies or mold allegies, or a chemical or something in the Tacoma air itself so I don't know if it was the hotel's fault.

Breakfast was adequate (with waffle maker, cereal and a few pastries).

If you have to stay in Tacoma, I would recommend it, but if you have a choice, there are lots more options in Seattle.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Shilo Inn & Suites Tacoma

Reviewed August 1, 2010

We stayed here for one night. It had been maybe four years or more since we last stayed at this Shilo Inn. In the past we've always found this hotel to be above average. This stay was no different. Yes, the hotel shows some wear and is a bit dated, but I guess we have slightly lower standards. The amenities are great (pool, hot tub, steamroom, sauna and workout room). Our room was roomy, though the beds were quire firm. Staff was very friendly. The location is very convenient to several restaurants (three are across the street). Like most hotels, the breakfast consists of cereal, breads, waffles, coffee, juice and yogurt. All in all, a short but pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Unknown_Traveler
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I stay here a lot. Probably close to thirty nights in the last year and a half. The staff are always nice. The beds are comfortable. It is quiet. The location is great, close to lots of restaurants, military bases, easy freeway access, and alternate routes when the freeway is busy. I've stayed at five other hotels in the same area and Shilo is my second choice because for the money, there is a much nicer hotel just south on the same road. But. I am not disappointed with the Shilo.

My gripes. Wireless Internet in some rooms is rather poor. The free breakfast is not as good as I expect. I always go buy my own.

Reviewed July 24, 2010

JJ, Chelsie, Ron, and Mary...made our stay one to be remember for a long time. JJ was the first person we talked to and she had us very eager to meet her. She was so friendly over the phone and continued to make us feel welcome. When she was not there, Chelsie and Ron made us feel right at home. Ms. Mary was a true professional in the kitchen. As the crowds got larger, she kept smiling and taking care of business.
Congratulations to the manager for hiring such outstanding professionals whose personalities, attitudes, smiles, etc. make people want to come back to visit. We WILL be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Spousey
Reviewed July 12, 2010

The Shilo Inn was a definite mix. Some things were very clean and others ... well, not so clean. Please keep in mind that I'm a clean freak. The room was musty when we checked in, and we ran the air conditioning full blast to get it to tolerable.
We had a room with a king and sofabed, with small kitchenette. The cupboards were definitely needing replacement, with locks on the doors and looking like someone had tried to pry them open. The air conditioning faced the kitchenette, which was between the room with the sofabed and the king bed, so not much cool air got thru to the king bed area, and my daughter froze in the sofabed.
Wallpaper and light switches definitely showing wear and age (dirt, etc).
This was OK for a night, but I wouldn't want to stay longer.
The bandwidth was very small for internet usage, and it went down once while we were there.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2010

On two recent stays, April and June, 2010, we enjoyed the hospitality of this friendly lodging and found it to be comfortable and clean. One particular front desk clerk was always alert and professionally ready to assist guests. Her name is J.J., and she
went the extra mile to check into things and respond quickly. We witnessed her
greeting arriving guests and making a special effort to inquire about everyone's comfort, including Special Olympic participants. A beautiful soul! We'll be back.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank rbkaimuki
Reviewed May 28, 2010

The hotel was clean and the staff was really great. J.J. at the front desk was probably the best hotel staff member I have ever encountered. I have had the opportunity of traveling all over the world, and she outshined them all -- truly! Nice job for whoever hired her!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business