“Outstanding hotel - glass displays are outstanding”
Review of Hotel Murano

Hotel Murano
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Santa Cruz CA
“Outstanding hotel - glass displays are outstanding”
Reviewed June 21, 2009

This hotel was a complete surprise. We stopped in Tacoma after reading about the glass museum which is nearby to the Murano. Little did we know that on every floor of this hotel is a museum quality display of famous glass artists. The interior design of the hotel is outstanding. The rooms comfortable and the staff excellent. A surprise gem in Tacoma.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Cleveland
Reviewed June 17, 2009

My husband and I were in Tacoma for a wedding and stayed at the Hotel Murano. The staff was wonderful; very helpful and friendly. The rooms were beautiful and luxerously comfortable. The location is great - walking distance to all of the museums. Just a quick 5 minute drive to the water front area loaded with great restaurants to try. Front desk reccomended great places to eat and things to see. The art work in the hotel was very interesting, too. Alos, the spa was wonderful, too. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed June 16, 2009

Great experience! Best in the area. We travel often to Seattle/Tacoma and often stay at this location because of the timely, friendly service and the exceptional rooms. I've never had a problem during my +4 trips at Murano. Give it a shot and have a great experience!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Kent
Reviewed June 16, 2009

The Hotel Murano is a classy hotel that has been decorated in a mid century modern theme remenicent of the brat pack era of the '50s and 60's. See Hotel Valley Ho in Scottsdale, AZ, www.hotelvalleyho.com, for a similar hotel. The Hotel Murano has added peculiar art from a variety of artist all over the hotel.

Purchased the Eat Sleep & Dine package that added $40 to the price of the regular King room that went for $139 for total package of $179. The package included parking and breakfast but could have been purchased seperately for the same amount. While it is not uncommon for hotel chains to screw the guests for parking fees it isn't necessary either. The vast majority of guest will arrive by automobile. The Marriot chain pulls this stunt too but typically about $18 to park. The parking accounted for half of the additional fee. Then we get a voucher for breakfast that is good for just $20. So there really wasn't any break in price when purchasing the Eat Sleep Dine package at all. The food was no better than a Denny's or Shari's for breakfast but every entre's was a la carte and ranged from $11 to $17 per plate. Our breakfast came to $30 with two of the least expensive breakfasts and OJ @ $4 a glass, before tax and tip. So by this time we're getting tired of the expense and leave a modest tip of $5. So we're out $40 for breakfast and ordered the lowest priced entre's on the menu. So the voucher for breakfast was a joke. Anywhere else the same breakfast would have come to $25 with tip inlcuded, and the voucher should have covered breakfast for two not breakfast for one.

The valet and bell hop staff was attentive and courteous.

I reluctantly give this hotel a thumbs up rating. Skip the breakfast option and go anywhere else around Tacoma for breakfast. On a scale of 1 to 10 this would get an 8 but I give it a 6 due to the lame park & dine package.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
GlassHotel, Mark Van Cooney - General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, June 23, 2009
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to the Hotel Murano.

I was pleased that the service levels you experienced were positive and appreciate your positive comments on the hotel and our art.

I was disappointed to learn of your concerns with the Eat, Sleep and Be Parked package. We do feel this package is a value with parking and the F&B credit. However based on your comments I can understand your concern.

Our rates do fluctuate from time to time and the value of the package may not be perceived as a considerable value.

Please contact me when you are returning to the area. I would be happy to assist with your reservation and ensure you receive the best available rate for your stay.

Warm regards,
Mark Van Cooney
seattle
Reviewed June 16, 2009

from the first call for reservations until the valet brought our car around and loaded our bags I felt appreciated as a customer. I think management has done a great job in building positive attitudes of service among all employees.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Spokane
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Murano has done a very good job in hiring people who have a natural talent for helping, and I'm sure they've also been trained well. I enjoy nearly every aspect of my visit there. The room was comfortable and everything worked! They even had covered parking for my motorcycle.

Now, what needs improvement:

1) The fitness center weight machine is old and weird. But there are lots of machines and a good rack of free weights and yoga balls.

2) I had forgotten to bring toothpaste with me and was told that there was some in the Convenience Center (the mini bar). When I checked the price - $15! That was outrageous, but when I told the front desk about it, they eliminated that charge. That made me happy.

3) The menu is a little limited and we had a wait person who should not have been waiting tables. We were involved in an animated, spirited meeting and she interrupted twice trying to take orders. Then, we had to go searching for her. But everyone else in the restaurant was a delight.

Ultimately, I found the Murano is first-rate hotel and I would stay there again and I would recommend it to my friends. They seem to be honestly concerned about your welfare.

-- ML

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Canada
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We stayed in the hotel for a whole week since my husband was working in the town. I have to say that this is probably one of the best hotels I ever stayed. A perfect combination of luxury accomodations with high end art gallery. All the places are tastefully decorated and the art pieces everywhere bring an atmosphere never seen before in a hotel. Service and food are excellent. During our stay they were offering free wifi and $20 coupon voucher for food per nigh, which was definately enough to cover our breakfast ( for 3) everyday. With walking distance to the glass museum and a gorgeous view from our 22nd floor room.
Minor things that could be improved: maybe put a shower cap with the toilletries . I know most people do not use, but some, like me, do!
I