“Great place with a few drawbacks.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Murano

Hotel Murano
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
W. Washington
“Great place with a few drawbacks.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2009

This former Sheraton hotel has been completely remodeled into a very hip, colorful, artist-themed hotel. Each floor features a different glass artist, which fits in very well with the glass art community in Tacoma. The room's decor is very modern and includes a large flat-screen plasma TV, a wash-basin style bathroom sink, a clock radio that is an iPod docking station, blown-glass lamps, and a very comfy bed. Parking is available on-site and it is located very close to the light rail line, convention center, and UW campus. The major drawback of my room was the lack of climate control. The room had a thermostat that you could set, but it only controlled a fan, so my room was quite stuffy to the point where I kept my windows open all the time which let in the noise of downtown. Also, my bathroom was not very clean upon checkin or during my stay. I also thought $10/day for internet access was pretty steep.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2009

Gentlemen met us curbside with umbrellas in-hand to open doors and shield us from rain. Clean room and comfortable beds/pillows. Excellent appetizers and drinks. Loved the glass art....from door handles to table decorations. Friendly service, especially the gentlemen who greeted us curbside and retrieved the car. Only thing I would change - for price of hotel room, would expect the wireless internet to be included in the price...additional charge for approximately $10 for one day's worth of internet usage.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2009

We had stayed at the Murano when it was first transitioning over from the Sheraton, & although the stay was fine, we were pleasantly surprised to see how much they had improved. The hotel is beautiful & I really enjoyed all the artwork.

What actually impressed me most was the staff. It is becoming harder to find a staff that greets you with a smile, & I noticed it even from the cleaning crews & other staff throughout the hotel.

The hotel is a short walk from the trolly that will drop you off at the museums. Or it is a short enough distance you can actually walk to most. We had a gorgeous view of Mt Ranier from our window.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

Very nice stay, clean, and quiet. Would stay here again if staying in Tacoma. The rooms are updated and trendy. Great boutique hotel in downtown Tacoma!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

I had planned to stay at a Bed and Breakfast that I used the last time, but from the moment I got on the website for the Hotel Murano, I knew this was the place for me. And like Tacoma, it exceeeded my expectations. The colors, the spaces, the artwork, the design make this one of the most luxurious hotels I've been in.
There is even an outdoor fire pit with comfy lounge chairs in front. The location is perfect for walking to the UofW and the glass museum, as well as taking a tour of town. The food blew me away. Normally, I don't like to eat in the hotel, but the menu kept me from leaving.
This hotel could be a destination on it's own, but I do recommend getting out to discover the little known town of Tacoma, and don't miss old Tacoma either, a couple miles north of town, past the elegant old homes on the hill.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

Recently stayed at the Murano with other family members. Came for a family wedding, from the east coast. Hotel was perfect. Staff very efficient. Used the hair salon, they were very accomodating had to move my appt up not a problem, loved the new look. After the wedding had midnight drinks by the fireplace, nice way to end the evening. Met family members for breakfast at Bite 16 of us, food was good, came out hot and all together. Last minute needed another room for a family member and they managed to still keep us all on the same floor. Day of wedding raining and there was an offer of umbrellas and cabs called to get us there dry. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
portland, or
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

While the hotel is beautiful and the decor is amazing, the service we received on our recent visit was way below par. It seems as though they invested a lot in the renovation, but skimped on the practical things.

It started when we went to check in and the person couldn't find our reservation. Luckily I printed out the confirmation because I had booked a package with a special rate. After spending 20 minutes at the front desk, the person said, "Don't worry, I'm giving you a great room." I thought, oh they're giving me an upgrade for the inconvenience. Well, if that was a great room, I'd hate to see an average room. I found the room to be very cramped and the bathroom exceptionally small. I was then surprised to find that there was no lotion in the bathroom. Most hotels offer shampoo, conditioner and lotion.

The next morning, we were in a hurry because we had an event to attend at the convention center. We went to breakfast at the hotel restaurant (which doesn't open until 7am). I told the waitress we were in a hurry and it still took her 10 minutes to take our order and another 30 minutes to get our food.

After a long day at the convention center, we decided to order room service that night. When the food arrived, I asked the attendant to leave the cart because the desk only had one chair and there were three of us eating (including 2 kids). She said she couldn't leave the cart because they only had one cart to deliver the food. So the kids had to eat sitting on the bed.

I read in another review that the person was surprised by the outside noise. I have to agree. The first night I could hear people on the street, or a few floors down most of the night. The second night, I clearly heard a phone conversation that our neighbor had.

We will be back at the convention center for more events in the future, but I think I'll probably try the Marriott next time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
GlassHotel, Mark Van Cooney - General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, May 6, 2009
Dear Guest,

I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent visit to the Hotel Murano.

I understand how frustrating it would be to arrive at the hotel and have issues with our staff locating your reservation. I am also disappointed in the level of service provided by our staff.

I hope you will consider this an isolated incident. We take great pride in the level of service we provide at the hotel. Hopefully the other reviews on TripAdvisor speak to the level of service we strive for.

I would be happy to assist you with future travels to the Tacoma area. I would like to invite you back to the Hotel Murano during a future visit so you can experience the hotel at the level of service we are known for.

You can contact me directly at mark.vancooney@hotelmuranotacoma.com.

Warm regards,