“A classy hotel”

Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A classy hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed over in Tacoma to visit the Museum of Glass, and were pleasantly surprised to find an impressive collection of art glass at the hotel. The hotel is well-designed and our room was comfortable with a great view of the redeveloped downtown and the harbor. Having spent the day traveling, we decided to try the hotel restaurant, and had a pleasant experience, with friendly and helpful staff and excellent food and wine. My only regret is that we only spent one night.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Stan K, General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thanks for your "Classy" review!

I am glad you had a chance to check out and enjoy our art work and also had the opportunity to enjoy our surrounding neighborhood.

There are indeed many things to do and see in Tacoma and throughout all of Pierce County, and I do hope you'll visit us again soon.

We appreciate your feedback!

Stan Kott, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

My wife and I were well treated by all the staff, especially at the front desk and bar. Check-in was slowed by a computer issue because we didn't book directly with the hotel but we were were given free continental breakfast. The scallop appetizer at the bar wasn't warm when it arrived and our server let us choose something else as a replacement. The walls (both exterior and hallways) show some age but the rooms and public areas are quite nice. The main window in our room was clouded by hard water marks but the side windows provided a clear view of Mt. Rainier. I walked down all 25 floors stopping to view the glass art on each floor. It compares favorably with the Tacoma Glass Museum. A nice touch that other hotels should copy is the overhead night-light in the bath room. It is just the right level of brightness in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: The east side is excellent when Mt. Rainier is "out" as you can see some of the bay from t...
Stan K, General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and also for your kind remarks.

We are constantly striving to improve our services and feedback such as yours is very helpful.

I do hope that you will have a chance to stay with us again in the future.

Best regards,

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

The interior design of this hotel sets it apart from most. What I don't like is when a hotel goes too far in trying to be special and misses the mark on basics. Having only one very small hand soap in a bathroom is not something I have ever encountered in my 20 plus years of traveling every week. Having a small refrigerator in a hotel room is something that is expected in 2014 but not at the Hotel Murano. Having just the basic analog TV stations and a smaller TV for a modern room is not what I was expecting either. The Holiday Inn Express has a much larger flat screen TV and twice as many channels that are HD.
The cost of $19 per day for valet parking is really absurd. I am willing to pay that if the valet has to go around the block to get my car but the parking lot is next door to the hotel. If you self park you only save $5.00. Are you kidding me?
I will say that much thought was given to how to make sure all rooms were soundproof. You can not hear a thing from the hall or other rooms when you are in your room.
Unlike other reviewers I found the staff mixed. Some were friendly whereas most were totally arrogant and could care less about helping guests. An air and attitude were more the normal.
Instead of trying to pretend it is located in a cosmopolitan city (Tacoma is not!), Hotel Murano should really think about the basics a guest needs and expects instead of concentrating on trying to pretend to be something and somewhere they are not.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Stan K, General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with several aspects related to your visit and apologize for those staff members that came across as unfriendly.

Please know that your experience was not typical, and I do hope that you'll give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

The Hotel Murano is a beautiful hotel with exceptional views of Mt. Rainier, exquisite drinks in the lobby bar and comfy accouterments in your room.

We enjoyed one night's stay on the 23rd floor and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Our corner room was clean, beautifully decorated and boasted an amazing view of downtown Tacoma, the waterfront and Mt. Rainier. We even enjoyed late night room service!

Not only is the property beautifully maintained, the staff are attentive and courteous. The Hotel Murano deserves it's 4-star distinction and is the ONLY hotel I'll stay at while in Tacoma from now on.

It's worth every penny and definitely a cut above the rest!

Room Tip: Book with Expedia and stay on a high floor!
Thank you!

We really appreciate your feedback and do hope you'll have the opportunity to join us again soon.

Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

My profession takes me to functions at fine hotel across the country, and my experiences are, in general, quite satisfactory. But our one-night stay at the Murano was "off the charts." It exceeded all expectations.

It happened that we were on vacation, and I strolled in wearing sandals, cut-offs and a pirate tee-shirt from Saba Island. Still, the desk clerk treated me like a king -- as did every other hotel employee with whom I came in contact from that point forward. I almost had to pinch myself is disbelief. From the maids and the maintenance people to the hosts and wait staff at the restaurant -- everyone went out of their way to be friendly, conversational and to provide impeccable service. And while we had only one meal during our brief stay (breakfast), it too was memorable. Home-made quality, and enough to satify any appetite!

There are lots of great hotels with excellent amentities. The Murano's unique atmosphere and special touches certainly qualified it in that regard. But in my view, what makes a fine hotel stand out above the rest are the "little things" they do well, the precision of their service and above all, their PEOPLE. I have never stayed at a place where the employees were more exceptional than at the Hotel Murano of Tacoma.

If you book there, prepare to smile a lot. The employees all do -- and it's quite infectious.

2 Thank Roger K
Stan K, General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Roger,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write such a heartfelt and wonderful review of your experience with us.

Our staff works hard to provide memorable service, and we all take great pride in each other and are especially motivated by feedback such as yours. I can assure you that you have added some more smiles to their faces...

I have enjoyed sharing your comments with all of the staff members that I have come into contact with over the past couple of days, and your review is appropriately displayed for all to see in our employee break room.

We hope you'll have a chance to join us again soon!

THANK YOU.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

I have been staying at the Murano for over a year now, the parking situation has gone from bad to worse, they recently changed the process for self parking guest's, it went from placing a piece of paper on the dash after you check in (which is inconvenient) to asking for your licence plate, this would be fine, if they could find a way to "save" your licence plate, and not ask for it every time you check in!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank colombianfoodie
First of all, thank you for your business.

I appreciate your feedback and I am sorry for your frustration relating to our new parking procedures.

Our new system is meant to make the whole process of self-parking more convenient for our guests so that they do not have to return to their vehicles with the paper parking slip. I will certainly look into your suggestion to see if we can improve upon the system in place.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

I'm calling this stay an "excellent value" because thanks to a "mystery hotel" bidding site, our rate was more than 50% lower then the online quoted room rate. Otherwise, I might have called it an "average" value. The nearby convention center as well as the Tacoma Dome seemed quiet that evening, perhaps that's how we landed that rate.

If you are shopping this hotel against others in the area, be aware of the $16 parking fee. Other reviewers mention an internet fee. I didn't use the hotel's internet during my stay.

Overall the hotel is in good shape and lives up to it's 4-star billing. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The bed was good, the show head and water temperature were excellent. My only complaints are the less-than-acceptable flushing power of the toilet and a shortage of bedside electrical outlets.

Room service was excellent also.

I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 02 offer great view of Mt Rainer.
1 Thank gfselect
Stan K, General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We appreciate being deemed an "excellent value" as were certainly work hard to take care of our guests by providing clean, comfortable, and well-appointed rooms & suites.

Your constructive comments on the plumbing and availability of bedside electrical outlets are helpful too, and we will address them when and where possible.

We hope that you visit us again soon.