“A masterpiece!”

Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Seattle, WA
“A masterpiece!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have never been a fan of chain hotels with cookie cutter rooms with bland decor. That's why the Hotel Murano won me over the minute I walked through the door. The hotel could double as a modern art museum or gallery. And each floor has its own theme. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and stylish. What more could you ask for?

The hotel also has a great workout room with modern equipment (that was in great working order).

The location is great, too. The hotel is right next to the Tacoma Convention Center. The Tacoma Link light rail line is about a half block away giving you quick access to the Tacoma Dome Station where you can catch multiple bus routes or the Sounder commuter train to Seattle.

The only downside of my stay at the Hotel Murano was the cost of parking ($15 a night for self-park or $19 for valet). Despite that, I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Stan K, Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
This review is a 'masterpiece'!

We are so thrilled we could win you over with our one-of-a-kind decor. We like to think of ourselves as a unique escape from the hustle and bustle of the real world, so it is wonderful you were so impressed with our authentic style. Thank you for mentioning that we have such a great location! We are very fortunate to be in the heart of the Museum District, so it is fantastic when our guests take advantage of all the fun spots that Downtown Tacoma has to offer. And I appreciate your feedback about our parking options. I will definitely discuss this with my staff.

Thank you again for this glowing review. Next time you need a week or weekend escape, please come back and see us!

Stan Kott, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Seattle
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Murano and I have to say it is a beautiful hotel with excellent service. The rooms were tastefully decorated, bed was comfy, every staff person I encountered was professional, eager to help, and very friendly.

With that said there were two "minor" issues that weren't a deal breaker, but still left an impression on me. First, on a number of the TV channels there was a high-pitched "ringing" tone you could hear in the background. When I called and spoke to a staff member regarding this, I was politely told that occasionally on their digital network, this sometimes happened. So watching TV wasn't really an option. Okay, so I rented a movie and read a book.

My biggest disappointment was with room service. I ordered the Salmon with veggies and I asked for extra veggies. When the server arrived with my dinner I noticed a very small piece of Salmon, no bigger than my fist, and total of 6-small Asparagus. I looked at the server, assuming there was a mistake with my order, and asked where the extra veggies were. She then replied that what I received was an extra serving. So for $30.00 I received a small piece of Salmon and six Asparagus? The server was very polite, I was tired, I signed the bill and said goodnight.

Bottom line - this is a great hotel and my stay overall was comfortable. But if I do stay here again, I'll be sure to bring a book and look elsewhere for meals.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sweetseattlelady
Stan K, Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for this thoughtful review. I am so glad you had a pleasant stay with us (minus a few missteps)! I appreciate you mentioning that our staff was nothing but courteous and friendly.

That being said, I am sorry about your TV and experience with room service. I will absolutely look into that 'ringing' noise and see what we can do — hey, that would frustrate me, too! As for your meal, I am sorry our portion sizes didn't meet your expectations. Typically, we receive feedback that our portion sizes are too large and I am truly sorry for your experience.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the service inconveniences you experienced, but I am glad you had a wonderful time overall.

Next time you need a getaway, we would be more than happy to have you!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I am a business traveler, traveling Monday through Thursday, for most of my professional life. I've seen hundreds of hotel rooms and dozens of hotels, and was compelled to actually write a review of a hotel (for the first time ever!) because of my experience at the Hotel Murano.

The Hotel: In a word - stunning. And gorgeous. And unique. And the ultimate showcase of local and international artists. The decor is in stark contrast to the vast majority of hotels in which I've stayed, and rivals the decor that W hotels are so famous for. Each floor features a different glass artist, and the meeting rooms, hallways, lobby and hotel rooms are littered with gorgeous treasures and artifacts from varying artists. The rooms themselves are unique, and offer a much appreciated pop of colour in an otherwise bland world of business travel.

The hotel is in a prime location, within walking distance of all of Tacoma's little treasures - AMAZING museums, shopping, galleries and restaurants/bars are within blocks.

The Staff: Outstanding. From front desk, to managers, to cleaning staff, to restaurant servers and bartenders, to the gift shop, and the bell staff - everyone is friendly, professional, and willing to go the extra mile. The last time I received service from a staff that was this knowledgeable and friendly was when I visited Wisconsin over a year ago! :)

The Gift Shop: Called "Creative Forces Gifts & Sundries", this gift shop alone is worth a visit, even if you are not staying at the hotel. Run by a local artist, she has assembled an incredibly beautiful and unique collection of treasures made by other local artists. I visited all of the local museums in the months I spent in Tacoma for work, and the museum gift shops/other local shops pale in comparison to this one. Hands down, Creative Forces has 1) the best collection of local art (not just glass art!), and 2) is the best hotel gift shop I've ever visited, and 3) the owner is an artist herself. Her appreciation and understanding of the craft is evident - go pay her a visit!

The Restaurant: Surprisingly inspired, with attention to detail and a focus on serving what's local and in season. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavour and creativity of the menu. Though the menu is a tad on the expensive side, the food is consistently good, and the restaurant does offer a cosy private lounge and/or a view of Mt. Rainier.

All in, the Hotel Murano is particularly memorable (to be honest? Likely the best) hotel experience I've had. Period. The combination of service, decor, and people makes it stand out among the blur and fog of years of business travel. It really is a gem.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Stan K, Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
This review, in a word — stunning! Thank you for this detailed and thoughtful feedback. We are so thrilled you had such an all-around great experience with us. From the decor to our restaurant to our gift shop, you knocked it out of the park! Even though we like to think of ourselves as a 'modern' hotel, we still want our guests to feel at home. I appreciate you mentioning that we 'go the extra mile' for our guests — your happiness is always our top priority. Next time you want to head down from Canada for another relaxing getaway, we'd love for you to stay at our place!

Warm regards,
Silverton, OR
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a great hotel located in the central part of Tacoma. It is an excellent place for business travelers to stay. The hotel pays attention to every detail -- beautiful rooms, a little goodie basket, and many other things that just make you feel comfortable. The BITE restaurant has great food and for breakfast I has the Pacific Frittata -- a wonderful combination of dungeness crab, crimini mushrooms, asparagus, fontina cheese, and skillet browned potatoes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Stan K, Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Rob,
You just knocked it out of the park with this review! Thanks for mentioning that we pay attention to every detail — we want our guests to feel as comfortable as possible when they stay with us. While we pride ourselves on being a 'modern' hotel, we still want you to feel at home! I'm glad you enjoyed your breakfast at BITE, too. How great is that Pacific Frittata? That one is a personal favorite of mine. One bite and you're hooked! We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Canton, Ohio
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the Hotel Murano to get Married. There isn't much to say that others haven't already said about this hotel. Our room was on the 23rd floor with beautiful views of Puget Sound and of the City. The room was nicely appointed with a big comfy down comforter and is decorated with artwork sketches from the artist assigned to your floor. We enjoyed the Lobby Bar with Kristy taking care of our every need, (Appetizers at the bar equal the food from Bite Restaurant) each day we actually wanted to visit the Lobby Bar because Kristy sews the web for travelers by engaging patrons with warmth and hospitality. We ate at Bite often not just for convenience but the food is amazing our favorites were the Kobe burger and they make a killer grilled cheese and tomato soup. A special and memorable touch came from a server Britannia who had served us previously and arrived to our table with desert to congratulate us on our Nuptials as well as the manager and others. This is one Hotel Staff that bests any Resort or high end Hotel we've ever stayed at.

Tacoma is wonderful to explore with awesome restaurants and bars as well as antique shops, a Theatre district and your selection of Coffee Houses to suit any taste. The investment in infrastructure is apparent everywhere you go in Tacoma. We felt safe wherever we ventured and used the "Link" often and it's free, clean and has a Security Guard on every train. We visited Seattle which is wonderful in its own but for a true Washington Experience Tacoma and Murano was the place for us. We thank the Hotel Murano and the people of Tacoma for giving us more than we could've ever wished for. Jim and Shawn

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors to get some awesome views of the Sound and surrounding mountains...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Stan K, Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
You are so very welcome! What a glowing review. Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a shout out. We appreciate you not only complimenting our hotel but the city of Tacoma as well! It's an amazing city with a rich cultural presence. From your comfy room to your delicious meals at BITE, I'm so glad we could start your marriage off right. We can't tell you how honored we are that you chose us for your wedding destination, and it sounds like we didn't disappoint! I hope you and your spouse are doing well. Please come back and see us any time you want to make some more wonderful memories.

Warren, Oregon
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was our second trip to this hotel and it was as stunning as I remembered. The glass artwork is gorgeous and it is displayed everywhere. If you can, go to each floor and you will see a display of an artists works along with information about them. The rooms are nicely decorated and have a "goodie basket" of treats, for a charge of course. The staff was very helpful, the front desk quickly changed our room when we asked due to loud neighbors, we were not going to ask but the bartender would not let us be disappointed by something they could change. How awesome! Thanks for a great time Hotel Murano. By the way, Bite resturant is absolutely wonderful!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Stan K, Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for giving us this fabulous feedback. I'm glad we were as 'stunning' as you remembered! We're so fortunate to have such an extensive artwork collection, so I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our decor. I'm so sorry about your noisy neighbors — but I'm glad that we could accommodate you when it came to changing rooms. Next time you need a getaway or are craving a bite at BITE, please come by and see us!

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

All the traveling I do, I like the little extra small things at a hotel that "shouts" we thought about you. First, the bathroom light at night is a "night light" no need to stumble around trying to find the bathroom, no need to keep the blaring bathroom light on. Hey, what can I say it's nice little thing. Second, GOOD in room coffee and enough for 2 pots! Thank you thank you! My only suggestion is... For us wine drinkers we are not going to spend $26.00 on bottle of wine that goes for around $9.00. What you should do is sale a bottle of wine that costs $25.00 for $45.00 and I would buy it!

Rooms and bathrooms are very clean and the staff seemed great to me!

• Stayed February 2013
Stan K, Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thanks so much for this detailed, thoughtful review! You're right — sometimes the little things are the best. They can add up to a really fun experience! We've been in this business for long enough to know what little conveniences our guests appreciate, but if you have any more ideas, we welcome feedback. I'm definitely taking note of your comment about the wine bottles. We are actually going to start experimenting with some additional wine options within our private bars and look forward to hearing more from our guests as this amenity offering evolves. Next time you need a getaway, for just the weekend or an extended stay, we'd love for you to come back and see us!