“Great option in Stevenson”

El Rio Mexican Cafe
Ranked #13 of 29 Restaurants in Stevenson
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Really good, solid mexican food. Just an average little place, comfortable and friendly. Would go again!

There are newer reviews for El Rio Mexican Cafe

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have wanted to try this restaurant for about 5 years. Today was finally the day and we were not disappointed. The chips were fresh and crunchy and the salsa was very fresh. It could have been a little spicier, but I like heat so that's a common complaint of mine.

I ordered the Enchilada Suizas and they were great! The green tomatillo sauce that topped them was absolutely fantastic. Nice and tangy. I saw on the menu that you can get their salsa in containers to go. It wasn't until we were already backon the road that it occurred to me I should have asked if I could get the green sauce to go.

My husband had the steak quesadillas and was very pleased. I tried a bite and the steak slices were thick and flavorful. The chipotle sour cream was also very tasty -- I used it as a dip for the chips.

Our only complaint about El Rio was the service. Our server was friendly but not terribly attentive. Things just moved slowly and our chips and salsa bowls sat empty for a bit too long...hence the 4 stars instead of 5.

El Rio is definitely worth the stop if you are passing through Stevenson! Note that lunch is only available on the weekends (one of our many failed attempts to try this restaurant in the past).

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We visit Joe's El Rio whenever we are in the area and it is always delicious. The margaritas were excellent, especially loved the strawberry, not too sweet and you could actually taste the tequilla. The food from the chips and excellent salsa to the enchiladas, chili verde, etc. were all wonderful. The service also is exceptional with the server there almost immediately whenever a glass or salsa bowl needed refilling.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

A quait little Mexican Cafe near Carson where we stayed the night. Friendly waitress. Tasty margaritas. But, went for the Chili Rellenos as advertised on website--they are only served on certain days! Call first if you want to know what special is available on what days. Other food: enchildalas, green chili stew, just average for us. Being from the Southwest, we do have an idea about what Mexican food should be about, and El Rio may have a place in Washington, but not El Paso. Wanted to try the Rellenos, so we gave it a try.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

The food was authentic Tex Mex and the 3 of us enjoyed our meal very much. We were too full to eat it all, but we tried. We all enjoyed our drinks but the best of them all was the El Rio Lemonade. The price was fair, the size was large and the alcohol was not cheap or watered down. The friendly, honest service was a great addition and our next time through here we will eat here again.