“Surprisingly awesome. Picturesque; loved it.”
Review of Skamania Lodge

Skamania Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Stevenson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 6, 2009

After the other reviews I expected a dated and overpriced "wannabe resort." Completely the opposite. This is just a great place to relax and enjoy the gorge. Had a river view with fireplace (they have reasonable government rates). Spent the first night drinking beers and watching the sun go down in the adirondack chairs in the rear of the lodge.

The Golf course is pretty much impossible if you ever hit the ball left or right but the greens were in really great shape.

Really awesome burger on the menu and great local beers from a Stephenson brewery.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dorko
Write a ReviewReviews (2,545)

Reviewed May 14, 2009

In summary, we had a terrible stay at Skamania Lodge. We checked in at around 8:45pm on a Friday night, and were informed that the main restaurant would stop serving at 9am. So, we ate in the lounge, where the food wasn't great and the service matched. Please be aware that the rooms are out of date and in need of sprucing up; the bed, for example, had a huge sag in it. There are flat screen TV's in the room, but this is the only thing that's updated. There was no kleenex in the room, so we called and asked them to bring some; they said they'd be right up, but never came. Upon arrival, there was a "welcome" card under the door, that was addressed to another guest, which made us wonder whether we were in the right room. Overall, the place just didn't feel well managed, and doesn't feel like a higher-end "lodge".

Our motivation for going to Skamania was to golf at their course, so we booked a "stay and play" package. Weeks went by after we made the reservation, and we were really looking forward to going there. On Saturday morning, I called to confirm our tee time, and they informed us that they had a huge tournament going, and would not be able to honor our tee time. So, essentially we drove five hours in rush hour traffic to get here on a Friday night, only to have the main reason we were there go up in smoke at 7am on Saturday morning. Needless to say, we were incredulous.

To their credit, they credited us back for the cost of our hotel stay, which included pre-paid golf we were unable to use, but we left obviously quite disappointed.

I'd really caution you about booking this place as a special occasion and/or weekend getaway, because it's not as nice as you're probably thinking it might be. If you do go, I'd recommend that you call repeatedly in advance of your stay to ensure no surprises.

As a post-script, they sent us a coupon to give them another shot. It was a coupon for a mid-week stay and off-peak golf., after we had booked a weekend stay and peak golf. While we appreciated the gesture, we scratched our heads on the restrictions that make it a lot less likely that we will actually use it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark G
Reviewed May 5, 2009

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary this weekend. I had attended a conference here several years ago, and wanted to go back with my sweetie.

We arrived about 12:30 on Saturday. I had booked the basic, forest view, but the lovely woman at the registration desk offered us a free upgrade if we could wait an hour. Since it was pouring down rain, and the bar beckoned, we agreed. The lovely lady at the registration desk took our hats and coats and we found the River Rock Room.

Even in the rain and mist, the view of the Columbia Gorge was stunning from the floor to ceiling windows in the lounge. The fire in the river rock fireplace was a cozy touch. I had remembered the house specialty apple margarita from my previous stay--although it was no longer on the menu, our waiter offered to make me one, no two, no three. Our upgraded room was beautiful, clean, and cozy--a gorgeous river/Gorge view, a gas fireplace, sitting area with couch and leather armchair, and unbelieveable comfortable king sized bed. That afternoon, we also enjoyed the indoor pool, and especially the outdoor hot tub; secluded by just blooming rhodedendrons and a rock waterfall, it was simply lovely.

We enjoyed dinner in the River Rock Room, rather than the more elegant, but expensive, Cascade Dining Room. There was a short selection of tempting appetizers--we enjoyed the bruschetta and croquettes prior to our juicy burgers. We also enjoyed breakfast here the next morning--the 14.95 breakfast buffet included bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs with cheese, hashbrowns, and cheese blintzes, along with an assortment of pastries, freshfruit, and 16 ounce glasses of juice.

Our room was perfectly quiet, and impeccably clean. In the morning, we enjoyed a hike on one of the resorts three trails. Our only complaint was that the trails could have been better marked.

We don't golf, but the golfcourse was stunning.

All staff were friendly, helpful, and professional.

I would stay here again for a special weekend.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2009

this resort property is among the finest I have stayed in bar none, it compares more than favorably to the Four Seasons Resorts I have previously visited. This was a business trip and the meeting facilities were superb and the staff hosting the metting (from the hotel) was able to accomodate the requests in short order, private dining was superb and the restaurant dinner buffet then sunday brunch were to quote a phrase "to die for"

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2009

The Lodge had a spectacular view. It is very isolated the only thing closeby is a small town. the rooms are small and outdated especially the bathroom. the service was horrible. my room did not get cleaned until late in the afternoon. employees are rude! especially the females!!!! and never did i feel like i was a guest! poor service! the view is the only thing going for this place

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed February 8, 2009

Stayed there after friends told us that we would have a great time. The grounds were nice, however, the rooms were severely lacking. I'd have to describe the rooms from being far from opulent, not to mention our room was near the elevator. Felt far from rested in the morning. I'll have to come back to the area, but will stay somewhere else. Won't be spending $$$ for $ rooms, not to mention the lack of friendliness from the staff.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 30, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Skamania Lodge Friday, January 23rd as a quick getaway close to home, but away from the kids, lol!!
Using an online promotion, we were able to get a forest view superior room with a fireplace for $155, including all taxes and resort fees.
Check in was seamless and friendly. If you plan on eating dinner in the Cascade Dining room, or get spa services, the front desk can do this for you on check in. If arriving in the evening, I recommend making your reservations on check in, as we waited until we got to our room and had a hour and half wait for a table.
We upgraded to a Forest View room with fireplace on the 3rd floor. However, I don’t think I would book this room type again. The room was very stuffy, and in order to use the fireplace we were paying extra for, we had to turn the A/C on full blast and open the window. Otherwise, the room was just too warm. The view was of trees, parking lot, and the playground. This was not an issue for us, as it turned out we spent little time in the room.
The outdoor hot tub was fantastic, even though the famous east wind was blowing and to say it was frigid outside would be an understatement. We enjoyed it both Friday night after dinner, and again first thing Saturday morning. (Saturday morning it snowed while sitting in the hot tub, which, even in light of the December storms, I found a great treat). Additionally, persons under the age of 18 are not allowed in the outdoor hot tub after 9:00, but there were a couple of kids there anyway. Not sure how they would inforce this other than by complaint. My only complaint is that you must first walk through the spa to get to the pool/hot tub area, and the desk for the spa tried to sell us on massages each time we walked through. The shower in the locker room is fantastic, and I enjoyed using the “spa” body wash, shampoo, and conditioner.
We opted for the Friday Night Seafood Buffet in the Cascade dining room. While, I bit more than I generally care to spend for a “buffet”, but the food was above average for a buffet. A huge selection of seafood (crab legs, shrimp, oyster shooters, steamed mussels, etc). The carving station included prime rib, cedar plank salmon, and pork loin, which were all quite tasty. (In fact, I must say, that this was some of the best salmon I have had in a long time, and I consider myself a connoisseur, lol!). There was also a Caesar salad bar, and a large selection of other dishes and desserts.
For breakfast, we returned to the Cascade Room. DH had the ham and cheese omelet, which he commented was the smallest 3 egg omelet he had ever had, and we joked that it had been made with quail eggs. I had the smoked salmon hash, which was really hash browns with sautéed onions and peppers on top, with two huge pieces of smoked salmon on top of that, then tomato compote on top of that. While not what I expect for a hash, it was still quite good. However, for the price, I would probably recommend somewhere else in Stevenson for breakfast. Look forward to going back someday and trying the Sunday brunch though.
Also, if visiting here make sure to take time and view the artwork in the halls. There are some very impressive rubbings of prehistoric rock art, much of which is now under water due to the damming of the Columbia, so this would be the only way to see it, as it is now lost forever. This is one of the reasons I desired to visit here, besides the unbelievable deal we got on the room.
All in all, it was a very enjoyable stay, but I don’t know if it would be worth paying the full price in winter. My major regret is it was too cold, windy, and snowy to explore much of the grounds (though there were people on the golf course), but I expected that this time of year. The great room with the fireplace was a great place to enjoy a complimentary hot beverage (DH had Starbucks coffee, I had hot cider) and look at the beautiful view, while staying warm and toasty.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank mahjerle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenson
Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Best Western Plus Hood River Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
6 mi away
Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Skamania Lodge? Share your experiences!