“Nice resort with many amenities, couple of disappointments...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Skamania Lodge

Skamania Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Stevenson
GreenLeadersGold level
Tacoma, Washington
“Nice resort with many amenities, couple of disappointments...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Impressive resort with many amenities. I upgraded to a suite when I arrived, and as to whether it was worth the additional $160 for both nights, I am not sure, mainly because I don't know what the originally-booked room looked like. I probably wouldn't pay that much again, as $160 is a lot of money for a few more square footage. Anyway, the suite was nice except for a couple of things. The fireplace did not work, at least, all I saw was what resembled a light switch on the fireplace, but it did nothing. Not a deal-breaker, but disappointing nonetheless; you pay a premium for a suite and you expect everything to work like it should. Second, whenever a gust of wind shot up towards the balcony (and it was a very windy weekend) the window area made a loud, irritating noise, kind of like a rattle. The windows were either loose somewhere, or it wasn't sealed properly. Regardless, it made for a difficult night of sleep (both nights).

The indoor pool is huge and very clean, as are the two hot tubs (one indoors, the other outdoors). There are plenty of towels provided in the pool area. There is a spa but we did not use it.

There are several hiking trails, although I believe some of them are more like paved walking paths (we only did one, and it was not paved, which we liked). If you're into serious hiking you'll have to venture further away from the resort.

There are two restaurants, the Cascade Room, and the River Rock. The River Rock is obviously geared toward casual drinking, and has a VERY limited menu, and nothing really suited for dinner, except for a burger and a salad or two, and chicken nachos. I think the restaurant would be better suited as a casual, family-style restaurant, a lower-priced alternative to the Cascade Room, which is more upscale and has prices to reflect it. We had a fine dinner there, and while it wasn't cheap it wasn't pretentiously over-priced. I can't rate the breakfasts in either restaurant, as we discovered a wonderful diner in town and ate breakfast there both mornings, and wouldn't even consider eating breakfast anywhere else!

It had snowed heavily the night before we departed. The last morning we were there we decided to drive to our favorite breakfast spot in town, taking a chance at driving in the snow. Upon our return to the lodge, my car could not make it up the hilly drive to the parking lot, so I had to carefully back it up and park my car on the side of the road. The trek uphill in the snow to the resort was not difficult, but it was tiring. At checkout I asked if there was any help we could get to take our luggage to my stranded vehicle but was told there was none, no shuttle, nothing. So, we carried our luggage down to our car, which was manageable but a bit embarrassing at the same time. This experience left a sour taste in my mouth. I expected more from a so-called "destination resort".

Would I ever return to Skamania Lodge? It's hard to say. I am not one who likes crowds, and the resort was packed for this time of the year, but then again, maybe most of them bought the online discount that I did. The resort deserves serious consideration with or without some discount voucher, but taking in consideration the non-working fireplace, noisy windows, and disappointing checkout/customer service issue, I would be hesitant to come back. I am only speaking for the experience I had; you may have a totally wonderful time here and want to return, which is great.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank nowhere_dude
Skamania, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Realmusicnotrap,

Thank you for choosing Skamania Lodge and sharing your experience with our Trip Advisor friends. We always enjoy hearing from our guests and your comments certainly help us to make improvements where needed, especially when it comes to providing great service to our guests. Our suites are certainly a more spacious room and highly sought after but I understand the disappointment with the fireplace. I hope you had an opportunity to enjoy our wood burning fireplace and complimentary hot beverages in the Gorge Room. The fireplace is crafted from river rock taken from dry, local creek beds. It is 3 stories high and weighs more than 500,000 pounds. We certainly hope you decide to join us again and might a recommend January as it tends to be a quieter month.

Ken Daugherty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the first time in late February and thoroughly enjoyed our trip. Although the weather didn't exactly cooperate (snow/freezing rain), that didn't affect our trip whatsoever. The service and attention to detail did not go unnoticed and met all of our needs. Kimberly at the front desk treated us especially nice as she went out of her way to make us feel comfortable & even send up complimentary cookies to our room! Ate breakfast and dinner at the Cascade Dining Room (strongly recommend the Sturgeon for dinner) and both meals were delicious. Was able to take a hike around the golf course even in the snow & really enjoyed the outdoor hot tub. I'd say the only negative is no DVD players in the rooms or OnDemand movies, but there's so many more positives that it certainly doesn't make that much of a difference. Can't wait to come back in the Summer and play some golf!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel since in opened in 1993 and have always enjoyed it. The rooms are not huge, but they are nice and also clean. The bathrooms are also a bit small by today's new hotel standards. The riverside rooms are worth the extra as the view is exceptional. The food in the dinning room is good. For the first time we ate in the River Rock Lounge on this stay and the service was very poor. Maybe it was just an off night for the staff. I would recommend the hotel and especially the location. We go back every time we can.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Make an annual get-away to Skamania Lodge since we moved to WA 19 years ago. This time staff upgraded us tp view room & sent fruit & cheese plate to help us celebrate valentines day. Always Fabulous time w/ or w/out kids. Relaxing but just enough to do for a weekend, even if you don't golf.

• Stayed February 2014
Skamania, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments and especially for returning 19 Years in a Row!! We are honored that you chose Skamania Lodge as a special getaway and we hope that not only will you return next year for your 20th year, but for a long time to come!

Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed here recently for a quick overnight getaway. The grounds are beautiful and of course the view is spectacular. We had a couple meals in the River Rock Lounge which were nothing to write home about, but good enough for being able to eat right in the lodge and looking out on the river. The lobby/sitting room area was completely full when we passed it a few times on our first day so we didn't get to enjoy that, but it did look comfy by the fire. We had a great soak and swim in the pool/spa area - it was nicely maintained and had comfortable amenities, plus the views were again gorgeous from the outdoor tub as well as the small tubs in the locker rooms. The most disappointing thing about our stay was how thin the walls seemed to be in our room. Perhaps it was the door in our room that could have made it adjoining with the one next door, or perhaps our neighbors somehow had unusually loud voices, but there was a good 45 minutes in the afternoon when we could hear their entire conversation, and it happened again the next morning. You don't expect to pay $200+ a night and hear the people next to you like that - I had flashbacks to some cheaper motels I stayed at in my younger days. We had a pretty simple room (no view, no fireplace), but it was otherwise nice and comfortable and the bathroom was lovely with nice toiletries. I could see booking a spa treatment and enjoying that part of the lodge again, or taking a day trip there for a zip line, meal, or other activity in the future. At this point I'm not sure we'd go back for an overnight stay, though, because the value just didn't seem to be quite there for how expensive the rooms are.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kira J
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We've always stayed on the Oregon side of the Columbia River viewing the magnificence of the Washington side. While on a serendipitous road trip to Portland I noticed this $99/night groupon deal at Skamania Lodge and went for it...3 nights. Gorgeous location (middle of nowhere), fabulous views, deluxe rooms, great amenities including golf course, spa, pool and outdoor man made rustic hot springs. Granted we didn't eat, golf or conference there, we had a fab, relaxing time... wandering the nearby trails, watching the windsurfers on the Columbia and grabbing a pint/burger at the village pub. They have a bonfire every night outside the grand lodge living room where you can bring a drink or make smores (packaged and available for purchase). Looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: Obviously, you have to have a room facing the Columbia River...preferably during a full moon.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bebops56
Bebops56,
Thank you choosing Skamania Lodge and sharing your experience with our friends on Trip Advisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed the relaxing and peaceful setting here and ventured out to explore the Gorge. Hiking and sightseeing is what the Columbia River Gorge is all about. Might we recommend experiencing our famous Friday Night Gorge Harvest Buffet during your next visit - a weekly feast I’m sure your family will enjoy! Thank you again and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Snoqualmie, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Skamania Lodge on Saturday, January 25, 2014. When we checked in at 2:30, we were informed that check in time is at 4, and that our room was not ready as they were expecting a full house that night. The front desk staff suggested we tour the grounds, and they would call us as soon as our room was ready. Shortly before 4, the front desk called and our room was ready.
A room “upgrade” was offered for an extra $10. The upgrade included a room on the top (4th) floor with a better view, and less noise. Our view was a wall, and we were located next to the service elevator. At least it was only $10.
The room was okay. It’s an older resort, and our room was showing its age. The walls are thin. We could hear snoring in the room next to us; and as mentioned earlier, we could hear the service elevator. The bed was comfortable and the pillows okay. The bathroom is older and the lighting not very good. The lighting in the room was excellent, and there were available outlets for cell phones and other electronic devices.
The pool/spa area is large and well maintained. I did not use the pool as there were a lot of families and children having fun; and I was looking for a quiet place to read my book. However, the locker room had a hot tub and there was nobody using it! So, I soaked in the hot tub and read my book – very relaxing!
The food was very good. We had dinner and brunch – both excellent. The view from the dining room windows was awesome. The Lodge sits up on a hill, and overlooks the Columbia River, trees, and mountains.
All the staff, front desk, bar, restaurant, spa, housekeeping and others that we encountered was extremely helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Skamania, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
anbeck,

Thank you so much for your kind review. We enjoy hearing from our guests and although we know that we don't get it right every time, we sure try to. Your comments certainly help us to make improvements where needed. We are excited to announce that we will be installing brand new mattresses in every guest room this spring, along with the introduction of a luxury bedding package on our premiere level. Additional guest room upgrades to follow over the next year so stay tuned! Skamania Lodge’s staff of more than 300 associates greatly appreciates each guest selecting our Lodge (and our people) for their relaxing escape. Thank you for sharing and we hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Ken Daugherty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenson
Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
#4 of 8 in Hood River
Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn
Best Western Plus Hood River Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Skamania Lodge? Share your experiences!