“Usually a Very Nice Getaway”
Review of Skamania Lodge

Skamania Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Stevenson
GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, Oregon
“Usually a Very Nice Getaway”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I visit at least once a year for a weekend getaway and are usually satisfied with our stay. We often recommend Skamania for short escapes. However, this trip, a two night stay right before Christmas was rather disappointing and a huge let down.

Let me first say that the staff, front desk, both restaurants and the spa were all nice. Victor the bellman, always exceptionally kind. The food was really good overall.

The problems:

-There were drops of blood on the bathroom counter. I took a picture on my phone to the front desk and asked to change rooms and was relocated to another room. Although the the two young men at the front desk apologized, I never heard from a single manager. Not to see if the new room was satisfactory, if I was fine, nothing. Having some experience in hotel management I feel they dropped the ball here. I tried to be understanding because it was a very busy weekend, however, this changed the mood of my entire weekend.

-I scheduled a massage at the spa and the room was so cold it was hard to relax. My masseuse was even cold and went to the "relaxation room" to retrieve a small space heater in an attempt to heat the space. Did not enjoy experience.

FYI Groupon users- my husband and I purchased a groupon for here that had expired which you can still use the value of the purchase amount at the establishment. So, basically we were thinking it was the same concept as having a gift card with x dollars to use. We were told it could only be used for room charges? Since it was now a dollar for dollar value we did not understand why it could not be used for incidentals, like $17 resort fees and taxes etc. Just wondering?

Would we return? We still have our expired groupon for room only. Everybody deserves a second chance, this time I will not forget the clorox wipes.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jay S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We loved the pool, outdoor hot tub, indoor spa, lobby fireplace with ample space for reading or family games, restaurant options--a great place to relax after a rigorous hike up Dog Mountain. Staff were very helpful. We'll definitely come back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Reviewed December 28, 2013

It is very nice resort. The conference rooms are very nice. The food was good for the meetings. We had adjoining rooms with kind beds. The rooms were nice, although a mini fridge and microwave would be nice. The lobby had free tea, coffee and hot chocolate which was very nice. The pool was clean and my children enjoyed it. The area is beautiful. There isn't much around, but we made an afternoon trip to Portland. Went to a few state parks and hiked.

The problems occurred when we tried to go to sleep. The noise was so loud from the lobby that we got no sleep. I complained to the front desk several times. They were courteous, but did nothing. I told them how horrible it was. I was told there would be follow up and we got nothing. We were there for two nights and needed up living first thing in the morning after the second night. I was exhausted from lack of sleep and just wanted to get home.

Room Tip: Get a room as high as possible and make sure it isn't a room that looks over the lobby. If we h...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Amber S
Skamania, Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for visiting Skamania Lodge and sharing with us your recent experience. We certainly understand your desire (and need) for a good night's rest. The hustle and bustle of the holidays certainly spilled over into our Cascadian-style lodge as it was filled with happy families and children frolicking on our grounds. We do hope to have the great honor of welcoming you and your family back during a less celebratory (from a Holiday perspective) time so that you can more fully experience the peace, quiet and incredible beauty that our expansive resort is known for. We hope that you and your family enjoy a wonderful 2014.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

We just spent Saturday night here with our adult children and 2 Grandkids (6&9'years old). Everyone had a great time. The lodge was beautifully decorated. There were lots of holiday activities all day and night for both kids and adults. Some were free, some cost a little, but the were reasonable. The front desk service was great. The rooms were comfy and we had a great view. We had my husbands gbirthday dinner in the dining room and it was pretty good. Jessica was our server and she was great. The food was good except the chicken. I was even able to order a customized birthday cake. Nachos is the bar were excellent. There were lots of lookout points and waterfalls and the way from Portland. It was an easy, fun drive. I would definitely recommend this hotel for the view and location. And especially for the holidays.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Ken D, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
We are excited to hear that you had a great family vacation with us. Skamania Lodge is a wonderful place to enjoy the holidays and we are pleased that you enjoyed many or the activities that we had to offer. You may also want to know that we have great holdiay plans for 2014 and are completing our plans for a very exciting Valentine's weekend. Thank you again for staying with us.

Ken Daugherty
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My fireside room (in back wing, away from view) did have a nice fireplace and forest view. Could see filtered view of the porte cochere through the trees, but it was not "front and center" in the view at all. No other rooms could look in my window, which was nice.
All is functional in the room and no issues. Temperature stays quite nicely constant. It's very quiet overall. I could hear kids running in the room above, but not too loudly.
The centerpiece of the hotel is the lobby, aka "Gorge Room." It's a place to sit by the fire and contemplate.
I was here at a low occupancy time and had it almost to myself. Monday night in the first week of December, with not a conference/meeting group in sight, the parking lot has about 20 cars at 9pm...
Have not tried the restaurant but it looks great. Service at front desk was great. Housekeeping seems on top of things.
So far, I have no complaints and lots of relaxation at Skamania.
If you are thinking about scheduing for a work meeting here, I think it would be a relaxing getaway. If you're thinking for vacation with the family (such as Christmas time), you may have lots of the place to yourself, but it has a quiet peacefulness and warmth that I think you would enjoy. The smell of woodburning from the huge lobby fireplace stretches out in the hallway from the lobby for at least 100 feet, and you can smell it as you near the area - very nice feeling.

Room Tip: Note there is a back wing, which is hard to see in any picture you can find. In other words, all th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ken D, Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughtful review. We are pleased that you enjoyed the relaxing and peaceful setting and your interaction with our team. The Gorge Room is a very special place to relax, read a book and perhaps enjoy a glass of wine. Another great place to relax is in our spa. We offer a full range of spa services iin a warm and comfortable setting. We look forward to your next visit.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Our stay here was a let down. We were supposed to stay for the entire weekend but checked out a 6am after our first night's stay. The bed was so uncomfortable that I could not sleep at all and my pressure points were in pain from trying to sleep on the bed. The room we had was equipped with a gas fireplace that would not stay lit due to the high winds and our room was so cold we could not warm up. The room was a bit run down and smelled funny. There was a lot of noise from the hall and from the joining room door you could hear the people next door like they were in the same room. The other areas of the hotel, meeting rooms and restuarants were also cold. The only good thing about our experience is that the staff were really nice.

Room Tip: If there is any wind it will blow out the pilot light in the fireplace and you will hear loud whistl...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diane W
Ken D, Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Oh no! We like to think that everyone that visits Skamania Lodge has a great experience but we also know that at times, we can fall short. I do want you to know that we are replacing our beds now and we have resolved the issue with the fireplace. Yes, the wind can really blow in the Gorge and from time to time, we need to adjust the pilot lights. We certainly thank you for letting us know about this issue. We are pleased that you enjoyed our staff and we do hope that you come back and try us again. I think if you read through our reviews that you will find that we provide an excellent experience in one of the most magnificent areas in the Northwest.
Reviewed November 24, 2013

My husband and I have spent an overnight here every so often over the year or two. I've probably stayed here at least 4 times. Each time, we've had a lovely room facing the river (where the trains come by). I've always had a great night's sleep when I've stayed there. very comfortable rooms.

We've also taken advantage of the outdoor hot tub a number of times as we had on our last visit in October 2013. It's beautiful.

The food is great. It's no cheap by any means, but we always enjoy what we've had, and the Sunday brunch is phenomenal. Great seafood and great Bloody Marys.

Going Above & Beyond: My Dad came to town in January of 2013 and all of us stayed at Skamania for my birthday. When we checked-in, my Dad and my Husband decided to ask if the pastry chef could put together a cake for me for dinner. With just hours to spare, they did it. At dinner the night we checked in, the pastry chef herself showed up with this enormous, fabulous cake with candles and all. It was lovely. I wanted cake the next time I stayed there this past October!

Also, if you care about these things like many of my Portland residents do, they are very conscientious about conserving and preserving and make efforts to use renewable energy, compost, recycle and make good decisions as it pertains to this.

Green Features: I think they do a great job on being an environmentally-friendly property, and it's one of the reasons I like staying there so much.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ken D, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Wow! what a wonderful review. We are so happy that you have stayed with us many times and that you chose to celebrate your birthday with us. October is a beautiful time of year in the Gorge and we are glad that you were able to be here to see the colors change and enjoy the outdoor whirlpool. We are very pleased that you were happy with your birthday cake and I want to let you know that we have a new chocolate chipotle lava cake on our menu that you must try on your next visit. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenson
Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Hood River Hotel
Hood River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Skamania Lodge? Share your experiences!