“Perfect service and a wonderful stay”
Review of Skamania Lodge

Skamania Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Stevenson
GreenLeadersGold level
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Perfect service and a wonderful stay”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Recently, I stayed at Skamania Lodge for a conference, and I found the hotel to be right at the top of their game.

As an example, on the way to the airport I bought some gifts to give to certain conference attendees. When I inquired at the gift shop about wrapping some wrapping paper for them, Suzanne in the gift shop offered to wrap them for me, and she did a professional, beautiful job. Later in my stay Candi in the gift shop was also very helpful.

Jack, Justin, and Alex at the front desk were helpful with logistical issues, and Hope Peterson in the conference department anticipated every need: scissors, a bowl for the candy I was handing out, and taking care of my display case when I needed it to be shipped out.

The room was nice, and the buffets for breakfast and lunch were great, too. If I could give this hotel six stars, I would - everyone there was a part of my success at the conference.

Needless to say, highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Hungarian first
Olympic Valley, California
Reviewed May 8, 2013

When traveling for business; the staff, at the hotel/resort/lodge that you are staying, is of paramount importance as they can make or break your stay. The staff at Skamania Lodge more than delivered and made my stay one to remember. Constant professionals, they remembered my name from day one and made sure to acknowledge me at every opportunity. If I had a request they were sure to grant it and always with a smile. Special recongintion should go to their bellman Art. When I arrived I needed a ride to the grocery store and he happily obliged. Futhermore, he was able to facilitate a large metal tub for me to keep ice, beer, and a few snacks in the absence of a mini fridge in my room. Art exemplifies what customer service truly is and sets an example for the entire industry.

Room Tip: An upgraded view is worth it depending on the value it holds to you.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Skamania, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear TahoeRick,

Art is a very special member of the Skamania Team. He has been greeting our guests for several years and, we agree, is a compliment to the best that the hospitality industry has to offer. Authentic. Inspired. Rejuvenating…are three words that guests have shared with us pop to mind when they think of Skamania Lodge. Art embodies each of these descriptive adjectives. He is authentic in his approach to our guests in that he is sincere and has a true heart for hospitality. We feel that he helps inspire our guests to explore all that Skamania offers. And, the experiences that he shares and that guests enjoy leave them rejuvenated. Thank you for the note.

Acton, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The staff here really make your stay pleasant. Everyone I encountered had a warm greeting and offered assistance. The rooms are spacious and clean. Love the lobby with the fireplace, sitting area and beautiful view of the river/mountains. Lots of trails to hike/walk. Was here on business but would gladly return for vacation.

Room Tip: Higher floors in back have best views.
Arlington, TX
Reviewed May 6, 2013

You never know what you are going to get when you go to conferences. This hotel far surpassed any expectations and left me completely happy.

The location is simply outstanding. It is secluded and gorgeous. The rooms are large and extremely clean. This might actually be the first hotel I have stayed in that actually adheres to their "green" initiative.

Get a room on a higher floor for the best views. The only drawback is there is limited cell service. I was there on business so it wasn't convenient for me. But, if I had been there on vacation it would have been divine.

Art at the front desk/bell staff is an asset to the hotel. He was extremely helpful and informative. He was my first introduction to the property and it was a lasting one.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the odd side of the building and higher up for the best views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Noni H, Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear kikiwhite69,

Thank you for the nice note. We agree- Skamania Lodge is the perfect destination to mix business with pleasure. Our associates take our “green” programs very seriously, largely because we live in one of the most beautiful places in the world (as rated by National Geographic- and us). We do hope to have the good fortune of welcoming you back soon.

Hale, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The location really makes this place worth the visit and the hotel have some lovely outdoor settings to take advantage of the views, as well as the lobby area with huge windows overlooking the mountains and an enormous fire place, complete with rocking chairs and comfortable lounge seating - I was happy to "hang out" in this lobby, also because the free wifi has a much stronger signal here than in the guest rooms.

Service being up and down mostly relates to the front office operations, in particular, the switchboard. Twice I had people try to call me at the hotel and the hotel number just rang out. Once when I tried to call front desk, the call rang out as well. Really bizarre. Once I did get through, everything was fine. One of my business associates who tried to call me was put on hold for 4 minutes before being put through to my room - we were chatting to each other on Skype at the time, wondering what was going on.

I'm going to assume there's something wrong with the switchboard, rather than the main hotel phone being completely unattended or ignored.

Everything else was great. Warm and friendly staff at reception, in the restaurants, bars and even the landscaping team mowing the lawns early in the morning.

I would definitely stay here again, such a shame about the switchboard fiasco, but a really stunning location.

Free coffee and apples available in the lobby is a nice touch and appreciated.

Tip: try the "Angry Orchard" cider sold by the bottle in the bar (naturally gluten-free), refreshing and tasty.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, turn off the air-conditioning unit overnight, when it kicks in, it...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
La Pine, Oregon
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was our first stay at this location and we were WOWED from being greeted (and the door opened) upon arrival to the puppy gift bag we found in our room. Many places allow pets but they are truly pet friendly! The bag included a food dish, tennis ball, dog treat, sheet to put on the bed so he could be up there with us, and a towel to wipe his feet if they were muddy - absolutely fantastic. Although it is a fabulous location (and very easy to find) it is truly the staff that made our visit a step above. Each and every one of them acknowledges us with a smile that wasn’t just on their face and was eager to help. Oh and then you have the Sunday Brunch Buffet! Absolutely EVERY item was fresh, plentiful, and fabulous! I can hardly wait to return when we can stay longer and participate in some of the activities that are available.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Noni H, Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear lcouch,

What a nice note. Thank you. Skamania Lodge is committed to ensuring the comfort of each of our guests- four-legged or not. Our pets play an important role in our happiness and well being. They help to make hikes more rewarding, views even more spectacular and our getaways more relaxing. They give us so much, it’s nice to treat them to a vacation as well. We hope to welcome you back sometime soon. And, if you enjoyed our Sunday Brunch, we suggest our Friday evening Harvest Buffet. From seafood to beef, fresh vegetables to pasta, you’ll find a bounty not easily rivaled. Best wishes for a great Summer season.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We booked a "Stay and Play" second week in April. We arrived at the lodge in the late afternoon. Although we didn't have a lot of luggage, I did expect the front desk would ask if we needed help with our clubs and/or drop them in the Pro Shop, but... no. (They stayed in the car overnight.) The lodge was only about half full.
Our room was on the third floor facing the parking lot adjacent to the pool/spa area. We were the only ones in that 'wing' of the lodge (which seemed strange, but it was very quiet at night!). The room was nice enough, but when we first got in on the desk was a fruit plate and a note addressed to a "Mr. B---" thanking him for his return visit (!). For a minute we thought we were in the wrong room! But as we examined the food, it was evident that either Mr. B-- canceled, or moved to another room bc the cheese was all dried out and the fruit was starting to mold (see picture). AWKWARD!
The bathroom was clean and I liked the products in pump bottles on the shelf in the shower.

The mattress was a little stiff, but comfortable. The room was a good value as we only stayed one night.
I went to the lobby/bar for a cocktail and waited... waited... waited... They were not busy (it was a Thursday night) and several servers walked past me (I was smack dab in the middle of the bar, next to the fireplace), not making eye contact or saying, I'll be right with you! I finally got my drink from the bartender (it's amazing how often I have to do this!).
The restaurant was only a third full. The food was good, the view spectacular, even though we were seated in the far corner, away from the main entrance.
My only 'complaint' was with the industry-standard plates & glasses. I know the Lodge does a lot of corporate retreats but for us locals it would be nice to have a spiffy place setting when we come up from Portland for a special occasion. The dinnerware is dated.
This is a lodge, not a resort. It's good as a corporate destination and I'm sure with the new zip line going in, more team building activities will take place (one of the lines skirts the tee boxes on #7 - THAT'S going to be interesting this summer!).
The town of Skamania is just down the road if you want to get some snacks or beer at the local market (take a left at the bottom of the driveway).
Our golf game was fun (albeit muddy with the spring rains). Overall a good value for what we wanted to do - no glamour, solidly functional.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MeeshB503
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenson
Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Hood River Hotel
Hood River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Skamania Lodge? Share your experiences!