“Wonderful Stay- No complaints here”
Review of Skamania Lodge

Skamania Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Stevenson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our company had a User's Conference here with about 30 or so customers and prospects. The location is stunning and the lodge was beautiful. The rooms were nice, the food was good, the outdoor spa was sooo relaxing. I really can't complain since I spent 1.5 days there instead of at work and had it all paid for! However, I would have to say that the lodge is pretty expensive.

The lobby has a huge fireplace as you walk in... it gives the whole place a really rustic feel. There is a good sized bonfire pit at the lodge so make sure to bring your own supplies for s'mores or else you'll have to buy them for $7 in the lobby ( I kid you not). The indoor pool is actually pretty big for an indoor-hotel pool.

There are newer reviews for Skamania Lodge

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We went for a romantic getaway and found ourselves surrounded by a full house of business conference attendees. This translated into packed public areas both inside and out, a VERY noisy restaurant, and noisy wall and ceiling mates. We could not sleep with the window open because the outside areas were party down time until quite late. The wi-fi was totally over loaded so my husband had trouble doing the little work he needed to do to "check in". So before booking, ask if there will be a conference simultaneously as the entire staff seemed overwhelmed and not up to the great reviews I'd read.

Positive aspects: beautiful grounds, walking distance to town and the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center (Well worth a trip), good wait staff (though they too seemed overwhelmed by volume of guests), delicious berry cobbler and breakfast.

Room Tip: Request a room far from the outside fire pit if you like solitude or to have your window open.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband had a two day conference here for work purposes. I came along as we decided to make a mini-vacation of the trip to the west side of the state.

The lodge is beautiful and in a gorgeous location. We loved the huge fireplace in the lobby. There are hiking trails, tennis courts, golf and a great spa area. I had a massage from Cathy and she was excellent.

I found the staff to be helpful and friendly. Although it was late afternoon before the room was cleaned on both days but not really too big of a deal. What was disappointing however was the noise from the room above us on the second floor. It was terrible. The last night we were there the guests decided to have a party in their room. I thought they were going to come right through the ceiling. My husband called the front desk and they were very prompt in breaking up the "gathering" above us.

While our room was clean and comfortable (except for noise), I definitely would not stay here again unless we were on the top floor.

Room Tip: Definitely a top floor room
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was our fourth time and every time there have been issues of one sort or another. This time I booked a room for 3 adults and when checking into the room found a single king bed. When going to the front desk they said I should not have booked on line. I said, what?

Both nights we only had wash clothes and night sweets for two people despite the fact there was a rollaway in the room.

The dining room food and staff were excellent, however, I will not go back when you pay between 200 to 300 a night and have one of your guests sleeping in a rollaway.

Several years ago my company was considering using this facility for their annual meeting. I booked a weekend on my own to check it out. After experiencing first hand what our guests would experience we did not book at this place.

After several years I booked this weekend to see if anything had changed. It did, only for the worse. I would never be able to book a company event here.

With such a great location it is too bad that customer service is at the level it is.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Julie K
Noni H, Director of Rooms at Skamania Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear Kathysmom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience on Trip Advisor. I think it goes without saying that I was extremely disappointed to read that you have had not just one but several poor visits to Skamania. Please accept my sincerest apology for the not delivering the very best. I have already spoken with the front office staff regarding your stay and explained the importance of finding solutions that satisfy our guests and the impact of not doing just that, as you outlined in your comment. I completely understand your frustration and sympathize for the lack of comfort you experienced on the rollaway bed. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at nhughes@destinationhotels.com with any further comments. I truly appreciate you sharing your experience so that we can address our service opportunities and better serve our guests.

Noni Hughes
Director of Rooms
Skamania Lodge

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was fascinated by the Lodge from the moment I stepped in. It's definetely old style, it's exactly what you would exptect it to be. Functional but old time. Gives a strong sense of coziness, with big fireplaces, big windows, nice, heavy armchairs. The meeting rooms are spacious, actually it is a place that can host a huge number of people and events, leaving enough space for everybody. The experience of dining outside and then sitting around the fire was certainly worthwhile.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Having a room that overlooks Columbia river always helps, the room however...average. We asked for a complimentary upgrade and we ended up getting a room that had no fan in the bathroom. The walls are probably very thin since we could hear the other guests upstair, downstair, left and right. The room seemed to be clean but I cannot shake off that "Motel 6" feeling.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Everything about Skamania Lodge is wonderful. While the price is not cheap, it is well worth it as it is luxurious lodge in a beautiful setting. The rooms are very nice and well equipped, but also homey while maintaining a lodge feel. The facilities are excellent and the views spectacular. And just when you think it can not get any better, the food at their restaurants is fantastic.
The staff also help make for a wonderful experience as they are all friendly, helpful and seem genuinely happy to be there.
This was a combo business and pleasure trip and the Skamania was perfect for both. You also can't go wrong visiting the Columbia River Gorge in Orgeon and Washington as it is a beautiful area with many things to do.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenson
Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Hood River Hotel
Hood River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Skamania Lodge? Share your experiences!