“We liked the place but not the "background music" which was an unpleasant noise.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Skamania Lodge

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Stevenson
GreenLeadersGold level
Beaverton, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

We had a nice stay here and and good food.

There is stone fireplace in the bar and it was lovely to be warm on a cold June day. The view is spectacular and the wait people are very pleasant. The lodge is a fascinating building up above the Columbia river and we were away from the noise of any traffic.

But the noise we had to endure from the sound system was not enjoyable at all and we hope that the management will consider playing something else. How about departing from "Sound system background hotel noise" and playing some nice CDs of classical music or beautiful folk music or music of JS Bach?

It would make us want to return to what is otherwise a memorable place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Kenosha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

I could go on and on about this hotel. The first words out of my husband's mouth was: "you done good". We did something on this trip that is so unlike us -- sit and enjoy the view. We were back every night to sit in chairs facing river and enjoy a cocktail and conversation. The view is one you see in magazines. The staff was always friendly. After conversing with the chef one night we decided to splurge and have dinner in the Cascade Room. Delicious! Rooms were nice, pool and four hot tubs (1 in each locker room, 1 at pool &1 at beautiful private area) were good, they have plenty to entertain the kids, toys & sporting equip outside, toys, swim vests, kick boards, flippers, noodles at pool, activities/shows (I.e. Birds of prey show), volleyball, basketball, tennis, bikes (just check out balls and bikes at spa--free), hiking trails and smores by fire at night. This is a gem. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Roseburg, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

One of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed at. Wonderful friendly staff. Great food. Beautiful room. The setting is postcard perfect. We will definitely stay again. We used living social deal and it was great.

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd or 4th floor with a river view.
1 Thank DaveandTerry
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

If you are looking for a fabulous place to stay in the gorge, this is it. The views are fantastic, whether you choose to stay in a gorge view room, or save some bucks and take it in from the breathtaking lobby. Even if you are, like me, not a golf fan, the management has done a wonderful job incorporating the links into the woodlands. Three miles of lovely nature trails wind through the course, with flowers at every turn. Be warned that the walls are thin, and you will hear your neighbors. The natural amphitheatre formed by the building also amplifies the conversations outside right up into the gorge view rooms.

Room Tip: For peace and quiet, go for the non view room.
1 Thank Aichilik
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2011

I stayed at Skamania in 2010 and had a wonderful trip. Booked a deluxe room with fireplace for my 45th birthday... when I checked in (300.00 per night), the hallway was wider than the room. The room had a fireplace but only 1 window... the room was so narrow it could not accommodate two windows. Saying that it had a good view would be like staying at Attica because it has a lovely view of the Bay. The room was sad. I think it must have been an adult sized room that they cut in half ... The side with the fireplace became "deluxe" and the other side became a "superior". -- Though given a lot of lip service, they said they had nothing better ... I "checked out." It was better to spend 100.00 a night for the jacuzzi sweet at the local Roadway Motor Inn than be punished for spending more money and getting less. Shame, really, because I had inteneded to spend my birthday, my time and my money on spa treatments and room service. Instead, I took my money to Portland and had daily lattes from JoLinda's coffee shop. A week has gone by and Skamania is still holding the full charge on my credit card. Nobody is helpful. The GM, Scott Spann, does not have voice mail, the operator, Barbara, has no clue how to help, and Whitney, the absentee front desk supervisor, apparently is helping others all the time (even when I stayed on hold for 30 minutes). -- did I mention that they authorized my card for the entire stay! 1,500.00 and I hadn't even been there one night. Not a 1$ approval code. Not one night stay. The ENTIRE stay. Save yourself the ulcer, stay in the gorge or on Mt Hood. Skamania has fallen into the hands of MBAs and BS (not a bachelor of science, either). Good luck.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank GregNiel
SkamaniaLodge, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Dear Gregory Neil,

I appreciated the opportunity to speak with you about your experience at Skamania Lodge. It was invaluable to hear first hand your feedback. I am extremely disappointed you did not receive the level of service we strive to provide our guests. I will share your comments with our team in an effort to insure the Skamania experience is the best it can be. We hope you will provide us with a chance to welcome you back to Skamania Lodge soon.

Scott Spann
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

We wanted to go to Mother's Day brunch at Skamania Lodge so decided to drive up from Portland to stay the Saturday night before. Didn't know quite what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised to find a high quality hotel with great dining. The pool and hot tubs were fun and relaxing. The fireplace in the lobby is a WOW. We will definitely return. Only detraction on the sleep quality was the bed was a little lumpy. it seems every hotel these days has one of those wall units under the window for combination heat and AC. The Skamania units are better than most, but I don't care for the constant noise of the fan. We had a "Forest View" which was nice, but I'll try a River View next time. We paid a little extra for a room with a fireplace. It was nice, but puts out a great deal of heat, unless it is winter. The hot glass was worrisome with a toddler in the room, so I'd probably skip the in-room fireplace next time.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

We have celebrated our aniversary here several times. With the new ownership the service is even better than before. We told them we were back for our aniversary at check in and they sent complementary chocolate covered strawberries on the day. The river view is worth the extra cost. If the day is nice spend some time sitting out front enjoying the view. If not, sit inside with the view or in front of the fireplace.
I have not played the course, but it looks short, but challenging.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
SkamaniaLodge, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Dear DoninVancouver

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent stay with us. I’m pleased to hear you were delighted with your room and the prompt and friendly service you were treated with. I hope that you’ll stay with us again for your next anniversary. We look forward to welcoming you back to Skamania Lodge soon. Please feel free to contact me directly at sspann@destinationhotels.com with any additional comments.

Scott Spann
Skamania Lodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenson
Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Westcliff Lodge
Westcliff Lodge
#5 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Skamania Lodge? Share your experiences!