“OK - not great”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stevenson
Columbia Gorge Riverside Lodge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Stevenson
wisconsin
“OK - not great”
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Rooms are compact, they look more spacious in the pictures. Also, got the impression before arriving the cottages were spread apart - and they are not, they are very close to each other. Bugs - spiders, little gnats - inside and outside. Stayed 2 nights - no cleaning service ? When we arrived we found a note on the locked office door telling us the key was in our room - but not telling us the number of the room; called the "emergency" number, and got an answering machine - luckily I had my paperwork and the name of the room and with a little investigation figured out the number that matched up. The grounds/flowers are very nice. The bed is a full size vs. queen. If you are bothered by noise or a light sleeper - they aren't kidding about the trains going thru a least 2-3 times in the night. Hot tub was well kept and nice. Kitchen stocked well with dishes. Probably wouldn't stay here again, but it was OK if you're just looking for a place to crash. Also - no TV or radio in the room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed August 2, 2010

we stayed in La Frontiera, the cabin right in the river. Hot tub on our porch. We walked into town for dinner. After my wife and I sat in the hot tub on the river under the stars. Cabin has been restored and the bathroom was very large. Loved the setting. Can feel busy with the windsurfers using the park next door to launch and relax after surfing. The trains do roll through, most times you just pause your conversation until they are past. I did not need the ear plugs at night. My wife used hers. My sons said they didn't even notice the trains. Very conveinent location for our fishing trip the next morning below the bonneville dam.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Michigan
Reviewed July 8, 2010

This was a great place for us, very relaxing. We liked having the porch from which to watch the river go by. The kitchenette was well-supplied, the bed comfortable. Yes, the trains are noisy when they blow the whistle at the crossing, but they didn't keep us awake. The hot tub was pleasant after a day of hiking. It was nice not to have to go out for all meals, just to sit on the porch or at the kitchen table.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 1, 2010

I searched around for the right combination of price and amenities in Columbia River Gorge lodging and chose this place. We took the highest priced room mainly to have space, our own hot tub and a kitchen. At $199 a night, a tad over my normal range, I would have noticed anything wrong. Found nothing. The room is a big log cabin that you could live in and in fact I would like to live in. It has a nice loft for extra sleeping space, great for kids if you bring them, and the hot tub is on a deck directly above the Columbia. My husband got our money's worth by using it repeatedly. It has a great warm feeling, tasteful original decor and art, and a lovely bed and bathroom. Our dog was also happy and only barked once. He enjoyed the trail along the river directly below the cabin. Windsurfers and kiters were out the day we arrived as the wind was up, so we had entertainment as well.

My one concern is that the lower priced rooms were a little small and all share one hot tub, so choosing the cheaper rooms is less appealing. And none of the rooms has a king bed. But we will likely go back. The other options are more pretentious, less private and unique, or just very basic.

People have commented on the trains. This is an individual question. They did not wake me. My husband pretty much knew exactly how many went by during the night (none between 1:30 a.m. and 7 a.m.) but was not bothered. There are ear plugs for those who are light sleepers. Incidentally you can also hear the trains from across the river, only not as loud.

We were very pleased with our stay. We also enjoyed the Big River Grill nearby.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 28, 2010

This motel seemed like a very good deal, especially compared to the 4-star Skamania Lodge just up the hill which costs more than 3x as much. The rooms were not fancy but clean. The ambiance was even a bit charming with the buildings built as log cabins.

However, it all goes downhill as soon as you try to sleep. Trains run every hour through the night right across the street, honking their very loud horns. I actually read the reviews on TripAdvisor.com and still booked this motel, because I am a heavy sleeper and wanted to save some $. With no ear plugs the first night, I got very little sleep and was a zombie the next day. With ear plugs, I got choppy sleep and could survive (and I can sleep through almost anything). I think the building was almost shaking from the noise when trains passed.

I cannot believe someone would be crazy enough to build a motel across the street . Take my advice, you will regret staying here. Don't make the mistake I made and spend more money to get some rest. In the middle of the night as I was angry, lying awake with trains rattling my room, I realized why they charge the full stay 1 month ahead and tell you that it's non-refundable.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank jackmama
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We were looking for a comfortable establishment, at a good price that would provide a safe and convenient base to explore both the WA and OR life along the Gorge. The Riverside Lodge was perfect. The Lodge is very well appointed with a cabin feel but no shortage of comfort. The tub has jacuzzi jets, the bed is quite comfortable, the hot tubs big and clean... everything was really very, very nice.

Now, there are trains. WIth a 6-year old, it was part of the fun... but sleeping late is not really an option, especially if you are a light sleeper. They started around 5am and while we didn't have a problem rolling over and going back to sleep after the whistle blew, you should definitely be aware that it isn't a quiet place to stay.

There is also no TV, no phones in the rooms. The rooms are the size of normal hotel rooms or bigger. The whole town has free wireless, which is very nice.

Stevenson is a great little town - the highlights are the Walking Man Brewery, the Crab Shack restaurant (much nicer than a shack with good wine) and Bahma's coffee house. Bob's Beach is the launch point for Kite & Wind surfers which are amazing to watch!

Overall, it was better than we expected and would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed June 16, 2009

Two couples spent one night at the lodge in early June. We each had booked rooms next to each other. We were greeted by the owner. Check in was a welcoming greeting and introduction to our rooms and how everything worked. we were provided with information on places to eat. The rooms were very clean and cozy. The kitchen was well- equippped. We could have prepared a meal if staying longer. There were utensils for 3 and a small table with chairs. The property is beautiful and right on the banks of the Columbia River. We live in Oregon and I can't think of any place on the Coumbia River like this. The beds were comfortable. The deck area is roomy with chairs for sitting outside and watching the views. Also there is a hot tub which we didn't use. We could walk to eating places in Stevenson.

There is lots of green space on both sides of the lodge. Also there is a wonderful walking path that goes along the river from the lodge for a nice walk. Don't miss it if you stay.

The property owner does make a point to let guests know about the close proximity of the train tracks and does provide ear plugs. Actually, we heard them in the night, but were expecting them and just dozed back to sleep! They were a non issue for us. They provide character. But if you think they will bother you, don't stay.

One note is that the bathroom is VERY tiny. The sink is in the bedroom area.

This was a great place. I describe it as quiet and relaxing if you don't mind the clackety clack of trains.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stevenson
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Hood River Hotel
Hood River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Columbia Gorge Riverside Lodge? Share your experiences!