“Good Food in an authentic rustic setting”

Stehekin Valley Ranch
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Stehekin
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Eureka, California
“Good Food in an authentic rustic setting”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Four of us made our reservation for dinner the day we arrived. We rode the park service bus up the 7 miles from the Boat Landing.

Dinner was family style. I opted for fired chicken, and the other three for the salmon. Mashed potatoes, carrots, and salad filled my plate.

There was a variety of excellent pies from the pastry company for dessert. Excellent.

There was a lot to eat and it was tasty. Sawdust on the floor added to the ambience.

Finally the owner drove up back the 7 mlles to our rooms.

A very nice dinner experience.

• Visited September 2012

Ellensburg, Washington, United States
“A Real Treat In The Stehekin Wilderness”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is not a 5 Star, gourmet experience, but well worth your time and the bus rides you'll need to get there. Outstanding, home-style food. Served buffet- style, a different special day to day. Happened to be flank steak the night we arrived. The flank steak was perfectly seasoned and grilled; served with an amazing mixed garden vegetable saute, ROASTED BEETS, white rice, the most wonderful unique baked beans I've probably ever had, a number of typical and atypical homemade salads in the salad bar, homemade bread, and OMG!! an array of home made PIES with REAL WHIPPED CREAM.!! I wish I had known before the trip that they only had lemonade, water and coffee, but they are fine with guests bringing their own wine or whatever. The only "down" side to the experience is that it felt a little "rushed" - symptomatic of the location which relies on the shuttle bus (from The Lodge below) to get you there, along with the Ranch's own bus to get you back to the marina area. I guess timing is everything? BONUS: A Brown bear sow with three cubs was ambling along about 50 yards off the road as we made our way back. Truthfully, without the bear sighting, this is a really scenic, beautiful little road trip. If I make my way back to Stehekin, I will make a point of visiting the Ranch again.

• Visited August 2012
Seattle
“Bad Day at the Ranch”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Stehekin Valley Ranch Restaurant serves those staying at the ranch, but the restaurant is also open to the public for dinner by reservation and, in summer, for a breakfast/bike ride combination. If you are lodged at the Landing, Stehekin Valley Ranch is a visually pleasing 25 minute bus ride of 8.6 miles up the paved (2mi) and then gravel road from the boat landing. Great expectations for dinner for our anniversary turned into real disappointment. Read the fine print before making a reservation. Food is served buffet style with lower quality and higher prices than at the Landing restaurant. My vegetarian partner had the choice of a garden burger or vegetable plate. For $13, the vegetable plate choice consisted of a one-pass only (as the server informed him) through the “salad bar” consisting of mashed potatoes, a seemingly over-cooked string bean/carrot mix, a not-so-fresh green salad, the usual jello offering, etc. He quickly opted for the garden burger. The burger was subsequently delivered in a food state that can only be described as au naturel – I mean really naked – just the patty and an undressed, ordinary white-bread bun on a large plate. No condiments, no greens, no tomatoes, no fries, no chips. More plate than food visible. I had a steak that was neither bad nor good, but the vegetables were comparable to elementary school cafeteria food. Visually unappealing and overcooked. The large, high ceiling dining room housing 4 or 5 remarkably long, rustic, wooden tables provided a community-style eating venue complete with inch-deep sawdust on the floor. That setting would have been pleasant enough had the food been better and the many too many flies in the room had not buzzed our food so often.

Visited August 2011