“Don't understand the hype”

Wild Sage American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Wild Sage American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 903 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Downtown Spokane's Premier Restaurant and Happy Hour. Wild Sage is consistently rated as one of the best restaurants in Spokane and is winner of the Full Service Restaurant of the Year award from the Washington Restaurant Association. We are the premier downtown bistro for casual and romantic dinners, or drinks, desserts and small plates after a show or event.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I have eaten all over the world and appreciate good food and dining experiences. I had eaten here years ago with a friend of mine and had a fond memory so decided to suggest it for a date night. We ordered the tapas plate to start and it was absolutely nothing special...not a single thing on it was memorable for it's $14 pre-meal price tag. We were served popovers which are basically crusted air with no substance while we waited for our main course. We each ordered the specials and they were okay. My husband ordered the pear tart dessert and it didn't even look appealing and he concurred it didn't taste much better than it looked. For a tab of nearly $120 for two there are many, many other restaurants in town I would pick many times over before here. It was definitely not worth that.

Tom S, Owner at Wild Sage American Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Isabella,
After reading your review, I think your score was generous to us. I dined in my own restaurant Sunday night after a theatre production, and had issue with a couple of items myself (granted, I'm a tough critic). I was especially disappointed that my kitchen had decided to run the Pear Strudel after I had asked it be removed on Friday, since I found it underwhelming and not to our standards. I'm not going to kick my own butt any further in this public arena, but suffice to say I am truly saddened that your return visit did not live up to the prior memory. Rest assured, when my chef returned to the restaurant Monday and was presented with this information, he spent a significant amount of time coaching and following up with his crew.
I am very proud of my staff and the consistently great job they do. Your visit was an embarrassing exception and you have my sincere apology. Please contact me at your convenience so that I may have you return as my guest. It would be my pleasure to have the opportunity to show you what "all the hype" is about. Warm regards, Tom Sciortino/Managing Partner

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We decided to trey something different from our previous favorite of Clinkerdagger and were so wonderfully impressed with the entire meal

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were drawn here for the quinoa and black lentil cakes, which sounded interesting to my vegetarian partner. It's not easy to find vegetarian dishes which are something out of the ordinary, so he was looking forward to trying them. We shared an appetiser of taquitos - a new experience for us - and they were very good. I had the Kobe burger without the bun and it was cooked to perfection and tasted wonderful. After nearly 30 years as a vegetarian, the quinoa and black lentil cakes were judged to be one of the best meals my partner has ever eaten. Our server said that there are often other vegetarian choices which aren't on the menu, so it's worth asking if you fancy a change. The service, atmosphere and food made for a really lovely evening. As others have said, we too would be regulars if we lived in Spokane.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Absolutely top tier, Wild Sage is one of Spokane's best restaurants. Where to start? The cocktails are creative and fabulous. The Wild Sage is my favorite, but you can't go wrong with any of them. The popovers and accompanying butter must have crack cocaine in them, they are that addictive...can NOT stop eating them...and they just keep bringing them, and bringing them. If you don't order the yukon gold taquitos, you are missing out, so de-lish! Any thing you order in between your starter and dessert will be amazing, so I'm just going to let you figure that out. But save room for dessert. And there is only one choice - the coconut cake with lillikoi sauce. Let me start by saying that I detest cake, and I don't really like coconut. BUT THIS CAKE. OH MY. Ambrosia for the gods, this is heaven on a fork. Don't ever take it off the menu, Wild Sage. Ever.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is a nice addition to downtown Spokane dining.
It was cozy and lively scene with good service and our table was ready at the reserved time.
Interesting menu choices were well prepared and presented, my pasta with prawns was good and ample. Salads were very good.
The location is not a comfortable walk from downtown and parking nearby is not easy. Lots of street people in the neighborhood were of concern.