“A Perfect Cozy Friendly Happy Day Breakfast”
Review of Kalico Kitchen

Kalico Kitchen
Ranked #54 of 891 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Spokane
“A Perfect Cozy Friendly Happy Day Breakfast”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My Groupon warned me of a pending expiration. Yikes. I visited this popular Spokane favorite at 7 AM on Sunday and was seated promptly with friendly service and delight with my Groupon! This is just like my prior experience. Happy laughing cajoling and gentle teasing of the regulars. This is like going home again to a friendly family for breakfast. The aroma of delicious fills the little parking lot.

The food. Oh the food. Generous portions. Very very inexpensive. Like a big breakfast for an early bird special is less than $4.00! Early bird between 6-8 AM EVERY DAY!! So I had to work and spend my $20. I ordered an early bird with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, whole wheat toast, giant FRESH SQUEEZED oj, and a large turkey sandwich, an Angus beef burger, and two sides of tomato basil soup. Steaming hot fresh brewed coffee. All this was still under $20!!

There are many vegetarian options and everything is just so darn yummy! The service is excellent and there is no rush! Even though I was given a huge booth and leisurely read my Sunday paper. And don't forget I am a Groupon customer but was never treated other than like royalty. Coffee refills were abundant and by the time I left around 8 AM there was a waiting group but again no rush for the customers.

If you want a dazzling place with tablecloths and carnations I can recommend luxury fine breakfasts. But if you are after a local hangout that is fast, delicious, friendly and just leaves me feeling happy all day long then this is for you!

And by the way...the food is perfect and I am so fussy. Coffee is hot and just the right strength. No dishwater coffee here! The scrambled eggs were fluffy and the sausage link and bacon cooked with crisp and delicious perfection. The turkey sandwich is really fresh REAL turkey - not the kind from a little container. The burger is a big one and ready for a warm up later with mushrooms and swiss cheese already waiting. The tomato basil soup is homemade goodness.

I just leave here wanting to return the next day. It is sooooo good. And the staff are friendly without being intrusive. Everyone there is all atwitter with excitement about new menus and happy about their new sign. It is like all the staff have an owndership in this good place. I like everything fine the way it is, but if they want change then so be it!

Try this place and you will have a smile all day! And a happy tummy too!

• Visited October 2012

Redmond, Washington
“College diner”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Looking for a crappy college diner to get some Gonzaga spirit? This is it. The decor is rundown, seats are broken, and tables are sticky. Menu choices include sandwiches on Wonder bread, canned fruit cocktail, iceberg lettuce, and greasy fried food. I was surprised to see this rated so highly on Trip Advisor for being so mediocre. It must be the place to hang out for Zags games or something. You definitely wouldn't go for ambience or the food. It was convenient just off Division so we stopped, but next time I would keep driving to find someplace else.

Visited August 2012
Kirkland, Washington
“Carb and Coffee loading”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My son pushed the grade of this place from average to very good. He said the pancakes were "very good" compared to "mom's average pancakes". I had corn beef hash and eggs...straight out of the can.Place was packed, which is usually a good sign. Fresh squeezed OJ was a bonus. Diner coffee. Service was friendly and efficient. Bathrooms were dirty and their cooks were smoking in the parking lot. Average unless you are a ten year old pancake lover.

• Visited September 2012
Walla Walla, Washington
“Excellent value!!”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stopped in for breakfast. Had country breakfast which came with waffle, bacon and eggs. Everything tasted excellent. Generous 4 strips of bacon. The coffe is very good. Charming, home town atmosphere where you can easily appreciate that there are numerous regulars who frequent the place no doubt because of the great food, excellent price, and friendly servers. Will definitely return.

Moscow, Idaho
“Loved it, outdated decor and all”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Usually when the eggs in a benedict are overcooked, it turns me off to the whole place, but not this time. I had the california benedict, with ham instead of turkey, and loved it, even though my eggs were overdone. I loved the kids coloring page and pancake. And one of the best surprises was the fresh orange juice that would have cost twice as much anywhere else. A small is $2.25 and large $3.25. I had the small and it was larger than I expected it would be, maybe 10 ounces. My family of 6 arrived just before 10am on a Sunday morning and we were seated in about 10 minutes. This is a small place, but the food is cooked quickly and the servers know what they're doing. I highly recommend.

• Visited August 2012