“Good food, drinks and location”
Review of El Sombrero

El Sombrero
Ranked #436 of 882 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: Mexican
Spokane, Washington
“Good food, drinks and location”
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I prefer the bar area over the dining just because it is adult only. This restaurant always has some sort of special and the food and serving sizes are good. The margarita that I had was GREAT. Their salsa is spot on and so are the chips. Fun atmosphere and good service. It is right off of Division so very easy to find, free parking in front and in back (not like a lot of places down town).

Visited May 2014

Spokane, Washington
“Awful second experience with restaurant we had liked the first time!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

First off I'm not sure what the picture they have in this listing represents, but that is not what this restaurant looks like. It's more of a little "hole in the wall" type place, which we usually enjoy! Last time we went we had good food, nice portions at decent prices. This time we arrived during the Friday dinner rush although we were in a lull. Our server had 4 tables, 2 of which were done and she had taken one their ticket and was prepping the same for the other. She managed to get us our water and a beer, in 6 different visits to our table. By her second, we were ready to order but although she kept dashing by to say she'd be right back, she'd be right back, she'd get a piece of paper and be right back, we finally got tired of waiting after about 40 minutes and left to go to Azteca across the street! Odd, you would have thought with the owner being in the restaurant, the service would have been better. The food, atmosphere and prices aren't good enough to bring us back. We were so displeased we will be giving our groupon for El Sombrero away.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Donna H
Spokane, Washington
“Authentic Mexican Food Hand made corn tortillas”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was downtown during lunch time and thought I wanted to eat something that was not a chain or fast food restaurant. I was driving just past the Y on Newport Hwy toward Greenbluff looking for something different. I spied a little restaurant on the opposite side of the Mall. (Target) and thought I would try it. It was a Mexican restaurant that was amazing!! The tortillas are homemade (corn tortillas homemade? NO ONE DOES THIS) and the taco I had with shredded beef was the best I have tasted since southern Calif near the border. I also had an enchilada with green sauce and beans. I can't tell you how exceptional the food was. It came out on a screaming hot plate that added to the greatness. I commented on how tasty the beans were and was informed they do not use lard! I was blown away that you can make refried beans this flavorful without using lard! The green sauce was amazing! If you go you have to have the shredded beef in anything you order ... it is to DIE FOR. The only thing I was not super thrilled about was the salsa they give you with chips while you are waiting. The chips were excellent and homemade but the salsa was processed in a processor. It was tasty and you could tell it was homemade but I prefer chunks of tomato, onion, cilantro, etc. Not all pureed together. Tasted really good though. I will definitely go back here again and again. If you like real Mexican food you have to go here. You will not be disappointed. Oh I forgot to tell you about the service. Always had my glass filled, super friendly, and was so delightful I paid my waitress 50% of my bill. Very unusual these days.

• Visited August 2013
q
“Best Mexican food ever”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We both love Mexican and we both thought this was some of the best food ever. We sat in the lounge and watched the Mariners lose. But the food was great.

Visited May 2013
Nelson, Canada
“Down South delicious”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This very humble establishment is across the street from a fancy Mexican chain. Don't fall for the chain. The Sombrero has been in the same spot, on the North edge of Spokane forever. The recipes have been handed down to the current owners and they are really good. Homemade chips and a great salsa to start off. Really give it a chance.

• Visited January 2013
Thank Don. T

Been to El Sombrero? Share your experiences!