“Pretty standard Mongolian Grill”

Moon's Mongolian Grill
Ranked #231 of 903 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is the 3rd different Mongolian grill that I have been to. For those who have not been to one, here is the scoop: They have a buffet layout of lots of vegetables, meats, seafood, tofu, nuts, spices, etc. You fill small medium or large bowl, with whatever you want, then proceed to a table with lots of sauces where they have a chart with recommendations for certain mixes. Then you hand over your bowl to a chef who grills your food on a special circular grill that is maybe 6' in diameter. That is fun to watch. Our family is a combo of meat eaters and vegetarians, so this kind of restaurant is good for us. The food was largely fresh, the meats were largely frozen, moderate quality. Waiting staff served beverages and delivered a bowl of rice. We went on a Sunday evening, they had two waitresses and only two sets of customers so they had idle time. Service was appropriate. For frequent guests, they have a punch card for an eventual free meal. A family member really likes this place. I honor that. Keep in mind that this is grilled food. Prices are reasonable.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

When we arrived I was sceptical. It looked old and run down. The Server was with her children eating at a table. She was nice enough to get up to serve us. The food was old, carrots not even peeled and watered down sauces gross. The cook was on his phone when I went to get my plate cooked, he held up his finger to let me know he would be a minute. REALLY?
Bathrooms were also filthy. That really speaks volumes!
Food was edible at best, for the price... I don't think so!
As we left I said to my husband, I think that is the worse $40.00 we have ever spent.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stopped in on Friday night and I wasn't impressed.
Yes, the buffet was complete with beef, pork, chicken, lamb, shrimp, white fish, and surimi (imitation crab) and the standard array of vegetables.

However, the service was mediocre and disinterested in our meal. The waitress seemed distracted - almost as if she would rather be somewhere else. OK, me too but I wanted to eat.

The single cook was a little overwhelmed with the number of orders on the grill but did not mix up orders - a high mark for him. He cooked with efficiency but no flare...although flare in a place like this is only a high 'plus' not a necessity.

The food was cooked properly and offered back to us with a smile. We had to ask the distracted waitress for some steamed rice and it came in individual serving bowls. At least it was warm.

Overall I think I won't return any time soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

This is one of the better Mongolian Barbecues in the Northwest. Whenever we go here it is often full...even in off-hours. The reason is their excellent selection of items for making your own meal. Shrimp, lamb, pork, cod, beef, and other meats are featured along with all sorts of vegetables such as bok choy, jalepeno peppers, green onions, and spinach. And if you can't make up your mind that's alright. You can go back and try another dish. As many times as you like. The food is cooked by experienced staff the way you request. If you are in the north part of town, this is one place you should try.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

We went here today to celebrate my son's birthday. He enjoys being able to pick the ingredients and sauces to make his own meal. The selection of foods was fine, they had various meats and seafood along with the normal vegetables. The way the sauces worked disappointed us. We had been to a mongolian grill at a different place and they had different cards on the table that gave hints and tips on how to match the different sauces to get different tastes. This location only had 3 sample ideas on how to mix the various sauces, mild - medium - and hot. I know with the different types of sauce that they had, you could actually make more if you know what you're doing. In addition, if you wanted teriyaki, you needed to ask the cook and they would add it from a prepared teriyaki sauce.

Our service was fine, we were seated quickly and they brought our drinks right away. The waitress, returned often to refill our drinks and clear our plates. She did bring us some fried rice that was very bland.

I don't really care for all-you-can-eat types of meals because I never get my money's worth unless you get to try different types of food that you might not normally order. At $14.00 per person not including drinks, I expect a better tasting meal.

Been to Moon's Mongolian Grill? Share your experiences!