“Memories of Africa”

Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: In the Flour Mill Building. Opened 5/2/2010
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

The aroma as you walk into the old floor mill.. as if I am walking into my mothers kitcken. The warm smiles of the staff and tje amazing food a must try when ever you are spokane.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

This place is great for the family. We tend to go here every couple of months. We always start off with an appetizer. We had the Chicken Sambussa. It only comes with 4 so if your with a large group order a few of these plates. Every time we come here we always order the Meat combination plate. It runs about $19. We then add one to two more entrees to the meal. I highly recommend anything lamb. My wife loves the Tib's Wet. You have to be open minded when coming here. It is obviously not your typical food you come across. They have a website that you can check out www.queenofshebaspokane.com Everyone that I recommended to this restaurant have been back several times.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

The food was fantastic and the experience great! We had the lentils and the lamb - both spiced just right - not too hot, not too bland. The lamb was so tender it just melted in my mouth. wish I could have tried the entire menu - I guess we'll need to leave something for next time. For those who aren't familiar with cultures that don't necessarily use forks/knives/spoons for eating, it may be a bit off putting. You eat your meal by tearing off bits of injera (kind of like a crepe) and pinching bits of food with it. I found the experience fun and heck, what else would you use your fingers for?

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We were fortunate to have an Ethiopian restaurant nearby for a few years. When it closed I never expected to find another...at least close by.
The Queen of Sheba is located in a converted flour mill and has a very nice atmosphere. A large screen depicts scenes of Africa as you eat and there are artifacts and art scattered around the small restaurant. But the service and the food are the stars of this place. Our server was pleasant, interested in us as we were in her and explained the foods on the menu. I like the injera (a soft porus bread) and was surprised to find the lamb dishes my wife and I ordered were served on a HUGE piece of it. We broke off pieces and dipped it in the sauces while enjoying a great glass of spiced mint tea with real mint. We wanted to try a desert but were too satiated to indulge.
This was a very nice dining experience Even though there were shoppers nearby, where we sat we had a view of the interior and its interesting decorations that enhanced the meal. I think you will be surprised, too.

1  Thank Itswoots
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Never ate in an Ethiopian restaurant before. Too many bad (and cruel/heartless) jokes attached. I am really big on trying foods from different cultures. Regrettably, Spokane is not as cosmopolitan as many other and larger cities. This, I believe may be the only Ethiopian restaurant for a couple of hundred miles.

It is a small but very neat restaurant located in the same building as Clinkerdagger's and a few nice gift shops, by the Spokane River. The host and hostess were uncommonly friendly and kind. No alcohol is served, but they do have a delicious spiced iced tea and spiced coffee, served either hot or on ice. I got my coffee iced, while my wife had the tea. Both were really, really tasty.

My wife does not eat red meat, but I do. I ordered a "meat" sampler platter, with two beef items and one chicken item. She had the chicken (two drumsticks in a slightly spicey, thick sauce), and I ate the beef, one minced and the other chunked.

The serving platter was a giant bowl, "family style" in the middle of the small table, and the foods were separated in it. They almost disappeared in the immense bowl.

Now comes the unAmerican part: No plates or flatware. In the bottom of the bowl was an enormous Ethiopean "tortilla," a strange looking sour-ish bread resembling a sponge run over by a steamroller. I think that just soaked up a bit of the juices so that they did not blend. Also in the bowl (for 2 of us) were 4 rolls of the same soft but sponge-looking bread. Basically, you tear off a piece of a roll and use it in your fingers to pinch up a bite of whatever you are eating.

Very messy. I'm guessing you could have a fork or spoon if requested, but where's the Ethiopean adventure. P.S. You only use your right hand and your hand should not touch your mouth.

The flavors and textures were interesting, although I must say that the minced beef could have been minced rice. I could not detect meat in it. The chicken drumsticks were small but my wife said sufficient. The other beef dish was tasty but not of the "what's for dinner" beef we Americans typically eat.

Our total tab, with tip, was $50. I might go back and try something else, and because the lady/hostess and gentleman from the back were so genuinely nice, but I may smuggle in my spork.

1  Thank Ron W