“The Queen of Sheeba is the King of African food!”

Queen of Sheba Ethiopian Cuisine
Ranked #69 of 880 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: In the Flour Mill Building. Opened 5/2/2010
Walla Walla, WA
“The Queen of Sheeba is the King of African food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We were fortunate to have an Ethiopian restaurant nearby for a few years. When it closed I never expected to find another...at least close by.
The Queen of Sheba is located in a converted flour mill and has a very nice atmosphere. A large screen depicts scenes of Africa as you eat and there are artifacts and art scattered around the small restaurant. But the service and the food are the stars of this place. Our server was pleasant, interested in us as we were in her and explained the foods on the menu. I like the injera (a soft porus bread) and was surprised to find the lamb dishes my wife and I ordered were served on a HUGE piece of it. We broke off pieces and dipped it in the sauces while enjoying a great glass of spiced mint tea with real mint. We wanted to try a desert but were too satiated to indulge.
This was a very nice dining experience Even though there were shoppers nearby, where we sat we had a view of the interior and its interesting decorations that enhanced the meal. I think you will be surprised, too.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Itswoots

Spokane, Washington
“Wanted to Try It and Did. Interesting.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Never ate in an Ethiopian restaurant before. Too many bad (and cruel/heartless) jokes attached. I am really big on trying foods from different cultures. Regrettably, Spokane is not as cosmopolitan as many other and larger cities. This, I believe may be the only Ethiopian restaurant for a couple of hundred miles.

It is a small but very neat restaurant located in the same building as Clinkerdagger's and a few nice gift shops, by the Spokane River. The host and hostess were uncommonly friendly and kind. No alcohol is served, but they do have a delicious spiced iced tea and spiced coffee, served either hot or on ice. I got my coffee iced, while my wife had the tea. Both were really, really tasty.

My wife does not eat red meat, but I do. I ordered a "meat" sampler platter, with two beef items and one chicken item. She had the chicken (two drumsticks in a slightly spicey, thick sauce), and I ate the beef, one minced and the other chunked.

The serving platter was a giant bowl, "family style" in the middle of the small table, and the foods were separated in it. They almost disappeared in the immense bowl.

Now comes the unAmerican part: No plates or flatware. In the bottom of the bowl was an enormous Ethiopean "tortilla," a strange looking sour-ish bread resembling a sponge run over by a steamroller. I think that just soaked up a bit of the juices so that they did not blend. Also in the bowl (for 2 of us) were 4 rolls of the same soft but sponge-looking bread. Basically, you tear off a piece of a roll and use it in your fingers to pinch up a bite of whatever you are eating.

Very messy. I'm guessing you could have a fork or spoon if requested, but where's the Ethiopean adventure. P.S. You only use your right hand and your hand should not touch your mouth.

The flavors and textures were interesting, although I must say that the minced beef could have been minced rice. I could not detect meat in it. The chicken drumsticks were small but my wife said sufficient. The other beef dish was tasty but not of the "what's for dinner" beef we Americans typically eat.

Our total tab, with tip, was $50. I might go back and try something else, and because the lady/hostess and gentleman from the back were so genuinely nice, but I may smuggle in my spork.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Ron W
Grass Valley, CA
“If you like spicy food, try Ethiopian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We love Ethiopian food, and when we are in a city that has it, we eat it. This was great Ethiopian food, especially the chicken. The wait staff was very friendly and helpful.

Visited June 2013
Bellevue, Washington
“Must experience at least once”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

We have never had an opportunity to eat Ethiopian before. We walked into the small restaurant a little before 6:00 and we were rather concerned that there were NO other customers. An ominous sign usually, and this was a Saturday evening. But the owner got us going with wonderful spiced ice tea and explained the menu and helped us come up with some things that wouldn't be too spicy for us. While we waited, we watched what looked like Ethoipian MTV, with native dancers doing their very exuberant dances that would certainly dislocate my shoulders if I tried such maneuvers! (Ordinarily I hate having a TV in a restaurant, but because this was a cultural experience, it was OK for me.)

I know that we would be eating with our hands. It would have helped if we had been eating with someone initiated in this kind of food, but we did our best. You are supposed to wrap the food with the spongy, thin and very fragile bread that it is served with. But the bread kept falling apart, so essentially we were mostly eating with our fingers. But the flavors were interesting, the meat was tasty and everything was enjoyable. We were too stuffed by the end to consume all the bread. A fun evening! And by the time we left, the place had almost completely filled up with customers.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Susan A
Seattle
“A find in the Flour Mill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Flavorful food at a reasonable price in a fun and very friendly family-owned and operated restaurant.

Visited May 2013