“Authentic and tasty”

Ranked #571 of 887 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: Thai
“Authentic and tasty”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have been to Thailand 4 times, one was a culinary tour where we learnt about the different regions, the flavors and indigenous ingredients. With that being said I can tell you that Thai on 1st is the best/authentic Thai Food in Spokane. Granted they don't always use the exact ingredients, mainly because they can't be found here but what they do get right is the flavor of each dish.
However being very authentic tends to create problems when people who are not accustomed to real Thai food try it. The fact is many people think that the food at Thai Bamboo (a local bollywood chain) is authentic when it is not and they expect this food to taste like their highly Americanized versions prepared by American or Mexican cooks.

It's sad that a whole host of people think "authentic" Italian food is the Olive Garden or authentic Mexican food is taco bell but it's true. So when people on this board tell you that they "eat alot [sic] of Thai food and this is the first time it tastes like this" I truly feel sad. I hope they never go to Thailand because they will be sorely disappointed in the food there unless they stick to McDonalds and KFC.

Here are some hints, since this is authentic they use authentic thai spice levels. If you have only eaten at Americanized Thai places (or places that use Americanized ratings) this would be an appropriate for their spice levels.
If you order a 3 try a 1
If you like 4 get a 2
If you like 5, 3 is probably good
If you add spice to your 5 get a 4

Do yourself a favor and try Thai on First if you wish to have an authentic Thai meal.

Visited July 2013

“Never Again”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Service was the worst. Punk kid, who acted like we were not good enough to be there. Took 15 minutes to get our menus. Food literally, showed up at the table after an hour and fifteen minutes.

Three plates of food, all way to salty, and over cooked. We left without finishing our lunch.

They do not take Amex. As we were so, rudely told.

The only way I would go back to this restaurant, would be during an apocalypse, and they were the only place in town that had food. But then again, I might just starve.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Pat D
“Love it.”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Very good very authentic. Way better than Linnies. They will even tell you no if you try to change somthing in a dish if it's not right which I like

• Visited October 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“stick to the 1.25 rice”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Not my idea of what Thai food tastes like. So salty it would poison your dog. No other flavor to speak of. I think the Pork might have been off. It had a strange smell. When I described this to my waiter, he explained that this is how authentic Thai tastes. My husband asked for Thai Chile sauce on the side and they brought crushed red peppers. Pretty authentic eh? Also, terrible ambiance, but I expect that from Asian restaurants. I eat alot of Thai food and this is the first time it tastes like this- terrible. I couldn't eat it.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Julie K
Grand Forks, Canada
“loved it”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Family owned restaurant, great service. Great Thai food. Very spicy, but you can choose how hot you want your dish. I'll be back.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Tara J

Been to Thai On First? Share your experiences!