“The Best Chinese Food in Spokane”
Review of King Yen Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
King Yen Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed January 21, 2012

All my Chinese friends say this is the best. The tofu is the best in Spokane...perfect and creative. They will also do special meals for you. The service is excellent and the restaurant is large and easily accomodates many people.

Reviewed March 10, 2010

I was not sure what to expect after reading RetiredChef2's very negative review, but I was willing to give it a try, and after my experience, I felt that I should counter the negative review with a more positive one.

My Chinese friend who grew up in Hong Kong asked me to take her to King Yen for her birthday. Of all the Chinese restaurants in Spokane, this is the one she likes best. She told me that her son had brought her here, and they both thought the food was wonderful and reasonably priced.

I was astounded at the size of the portions; they served dinner-sized portions for lunch with a generous bowl of soup. The hot and sour soup was very good, and the chicken fried rice was excellent. My friend ordered a whole flounder, which I tasted, but in general I do not like fish, so I can't speak for myself on this dish; however I did not find it objectionable, and my friend and my mother both thought it was excellent. We also had Kung Poa Beef, which was average in flavor but excellent in texture; the beef was very tender.

The restaurant was clean, the decor festive without being overwhelming, and the chairs were sturdy and comfortable. I enjoyed viewing the chefs in the kitchen from where I was sitting and noticed that they were carefully draining the grease from everything they prepared.

I have steered away from Chinese restaurants since moving to Spokane from the SF Bay Area, but I am pleased to have found King Yen. I would go here again, and I would recommend it to others.

Reviewed August 20, 2009

Spokane is the most Chinese challenged city I have ever lived in. Most restaurants claiming to be chances are absolutely horrific but it allows me to understand why some people think mediocre food like PF Changs and even not-so-good food life Panda Express SEEM to be decent Chinese food. With that being said, about every three or four months we build up enough courage to try another 'Chinese' restaurant in Spokane. We mentally build ourselves up for a good experience, we WANT to find someplace, anyplace, that serves something that we can say is authentic, tasty and just plain good to eat.

We are not that picky – yes, we did a three week culinary tour of the Orient many years ago and we were very blessed living in Los Angeles to have two of the best Chinese restaurants near us, I don’t expect an orgasm of the mouth – just good food.

So how did King Yen fare, well, not so good - we renamed it King Yuck and that says it all. We had one meat dish (beef) that was inexplicably made with flap meat. Flap meat does not do well being cooked under the high heat of a wok, the fibers will tighten making it curl and it becomes very tough. In my whole life I have never seen a Chinese restaurant use flap meat but King Yen did and the results were terrible, we have tough curly strips of shoe leather meat – yuck.

The second dish was noodle dish but better renamed an oil dish. You expect a small amount of oil on noodle dishes that are stir-fried, if you at the mall or the fair then you might expect quite a bit of oil but never in my whole life have I had a plate of noodles served that had ½” of oil on the bottom of the plate. This greasy mess of noodles was inedible.

You top of two dishes that you wouldn’t want to give to your dogs, unless you are trying to kill them, you add in the rather sparse ambience, inattentive service, unclean seats, dirty sticky tables, and disgusting bathrooms and there is no reason why anyone would even think of going into this establishment again.

One last comment we brought home the food to see if our scavenger teenager would eat it--no luck even he said it was gross and it got tossed into the trash.

4  Thank RetiredChef2
Reviewed July 27, 2008

King Yen must be the best kept secret in Spokane. We've lived here for 15 years, and I had despaired of ever tasting really good Chinese food without going to Seattle to get it. Then, about 4 years ago, we found King Yen. Our favorite place in Spokane!
The service is always polite and attentive, the prices are reasonable, the decor is pleasent and relaxing, the portions are more than generous and and the food? OMG! the food is to die for...This place has the absolute best american-chinese food in Eastern Washington. Period. Some of our favorites are the King Yen Fried Rice and the Sweet and Sour pork, (or shrimp and/or chicken). The S-n-S sauce is light and tasty, not like the 10W30-weight oil look and flavor prevalent in most Spokane Asian restaurants. The Pan Fried Chicken with Garlic Sauce and Tomato Beef are more than yummy...Try it-you'll be back for more!

1  Thank ShihtzuHappens