“NOT RECOMMENDED”
Review of Cathay Inn

Cathay Inn
Ranked #369 of 898 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: In 1950, Tom F. Eng introduced Spokane to the delicacies of fine Chinese cuisine at his restaurant, the Cathay Inn, at 3714 North Division. It was dedicated to treating customers like family, serving only the finest, freshest, quality ingredients. Today, The Cathay in is in its fourth generation of family ownership, with Raymond Eng, Tom's great grandson running the business at the same address. Over the years the building has changed and expanded, but the ethic of fine food and excellent customer service has remained the same. In addition to delicious traditional, cooked to order Chinese dishes, the Cathay Inn also serves more exotic fare like Peking Duck, Moo Go Gai Pan and Moo Shu Pork. Besides the longevity of the Eng family, many of the servers at the Cathay Inn are third generation. All of us here at the Cathay Inn take pride in our heritage and legacy of great food and great family service. We keep our guests our most important focus. Thank you for visiting. Call the Cathay Inn for your next dine in reservation, take out or banquet!
Reviewed February 7, 2012

The Cathay Inn is perhaps the most well known Chinese restaurant in Spokane.
It has been around forever, and have a very loyal following.

I cannot understand why it merits such a following.

It serves generic "1950s" style Chinese food. They serve generic "Almond Chicken" and
"Chow Mein". By Spokane standards, they are incredibly expensive, When I had lunch
there recently, their items were easily 1/3 more than similar restaurants.

Compared to other nearby Chinese Restaurants, the service we received was less prompt and somewhat aloof.

Tip: Drive on by...The other CHinese Restaurants nearby serve similar, or better food, at much LOWER prices, with much more friendly service

Reviewed December 11, 2011

I am not sure how this restaurant has remained open for so long. Maybe Spokanites have never had good asian. This food is terrible. We would not recommend to anyone.

Reviewed April 22, 2010

I wish I had read any reviews on this place before trying b/c I was soooo dissapointed. Food was bland and over-cornstarched. VERY expensive & 80s atmosphere was a serious turn off. They do have a nice fish aquarium-that was the ONLY thing we enjoyed about this meal. We even left notes with the hostess and on our receipt with our contact info, but no one has contacted us & it's been over 3 mths.

Reviewed January 6, 2010

I went to this restaurant with my mother soon after I had gotten back from Beijing, China. Chinese food sounded amazing at Cathay had the number Chinese food rating in the spokane travel magazine. Much to my disappointment Cathay was... horrible. It reminded me of almost every other "Chinese/American" restaurant I had been to. Large quantities of food, much of it deep fried, decent price... and lots of... rather... large people : /
for typical Chinese/American food I suppose it was ok but I have never found such a restaurant that I would recommend.

1  Thank EtherealRose
Reviewed November 22, 2008

Tried this place 4 years ago when we first moved here. Ugh. Tasteless food.
Thought we'd give it a 2nd chance last week, and walked over from our home.
Again; bland, tasteless and greasy. Everything on the plate tasted the same. The fried rice was hideous.
My husband usually eats everything in sight - even he wouldn't eat it. We left with ruined appetites.

Waitress did notice uneaten food, and asked if I didn't like it. Manager did come over and apologize, and did not charge us for 1 meal. We appreciated that.
Interesting, the manager mentioned that she didn't eat the food either. Hmmm....

1  Thank nwpeace