“Good food - show is poor, but the price is high”
Review of Shogun Restaurant

Shogun Restaurant
Ranked #251 of 898 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2013

No complaints about the quality of the food, however half of the allure of a teppanyaki restaurant is the performance of the chef.

Tossed salad was delicious, as was the soup. We ordered a single order of California rolls to split. The eight (count-em - eight!) rolls were fresh and very tasty. Wasabi and ginger were excellent.

The main course (steak and shrimp) was very good as well.

The chef needed a lot more polish. The server was not on the ball and forgot to bring our steamed rice. Front desk staff were flat-out unwelcoming and unprofessional.

The bill with tip was almost $75 for the two of us and we didn't have anything to drink other than water.

2  Thank Carl S

Reviewed May 20, 2013

When we visited on Saturday without a reservation the hostess made us feel most unwelcome but after conferring with someone else, they managed to find us a seat (there were many unoccupied tables throughout the huge establishment).

The food tasted good. We had California Rolls to die for. The soup and salad were great. The steak and shrimp were really yummy. The dipping sauces were very tasty. I got plenty of food and left full, even brought home a doggy-box. The bill for two (only water to drink) was $65 and after the tip $75. For the price the entertainment should be higher caliber and the server a bit more on her toes, otherwise they should keep the chef in the kitchen and charge us less money!

The server brought our salad and soup right on top of each other, then forgot the steamed rice. The presentation had long gaps between the fried rice, bean sprouts, vegetables, and finally the entrees. We had steak and shrimp. The appetizer of shrimp was served at the same time as the shrimp entree. The chef was an amateur compared to teppanyaki presentations I've seen in larger urban areas, he takes lots of do-overs when he misses his mark. I looked around at other chefs and saw the same lack of skill at those tables. The chefs should make more effort to master their tricks, although their finished product is fine. I guess if you haven't seen this done well, you may not notice the mistakes.

All in all, the quality minus excellent service and lack of skilled chefs equals average. We would eat there again, but would rather find tasty Japanese cuisine without the overpriced fluff.

1  Thank d2n2
Reviewed August 31, 2012

A group of us went to celebrate a birthday. We were quickly seated and then the fun began. We didn't know a couple of people at our table, but soon were laughing and talking with them. The food is prepared in front of you by a talent and entertaining chef. The food is cooked to perfection. They had a special treat for the birthday boy.

1  Thank Mrs_D021
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I went to this place based on the ad in the hotel phone book. I was not disappointed. The chef was extremely skilled, more than any other Japanese Steak House I have ever been to. The food was very good especially considering how far it is from the coast. The price was not bad and the interior rivals your expectations based on the modest outside look. The area is not perfect but It did not scare me whatsoever. This is a great place to go if you only have one night in Spokane.

1  Thank principesnaviganti
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I hadn't been to this restaurant in years and had forgotten how much I liked the food! The fried rice was the best I've ever had. Took my 10 year old for the first time, he watched the chef's tricks in awe. Its not often you can have fun like that while eating dinner out! My only complaint was the strange odor of the restaurant when we first got there. After a minute or two didn't even notice it anymore. I can't wait to go there again!

1  Thank Deena B