“Overcrowded and understaffed”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Overcrowded and understaffed”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Azteca in Coeur d' Alene is one of our favorite restaurants, so we thought we would try the downtown location. Unfortunately, it was a very busy night and nothing went well. Our drink orders came out incorrectly and then the waiter brought out the wrong meal. We were in town for a play, so nothing was sent back. The waiter was very apologetic, but that was about it.

Portland, Oregon, United States
“It All Tastes the Same!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Bland food unattractively presented by disinterested staff pretty much sums up our experience. The floor was sticky, the menus were plastic-coated so the food blotches were detectable, and the location is inconvenient.

Spokane, WA
“Don't order salads in a Mexican restaurant”
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I didn't feel like waiting to get seated at Chili's so we opted for Azteca down the block. It was Saturday night and very busy in the restaurant. We were seated right away in the bar at a booth that turned out to be the main highway to the bathrooms, water station, prep area & kitchen.

We were given chips right away & three small cups of housemade salsa which were the same salsa. The chips were tasty but the salsa was pretty lame -- no spice, runny with very few chunks, bland and kind of reminiscent of tomato sauce. I know they like their salsa rather runny in Mexico but it always has a wonderful flavor. This was a disappointment.

Despite being front row at the motor speedway, getting our drink & food orders was another story: The drinks came after about 10 minutes, and we sat around for an additional 20 minutes before the server -- who had rushed past us over a dozen times -- finally acknowledged us. We ordered two grande margaritas; a regular lime flavored and a mango strawberry one, which was excessively sweet. The lime margarita was nothing special. I am pretty sure they "underserved" us with regards to the alcohol. It was happy hour so maybe the bartender felt justified in skimping on the bottom shelf tequila.

We also ordered two Bandera salads, which looked like a Cobb salad in the menu. We figured it would be healthier & bigger than the taco salad. Our mistake. When the salads finally arrived, they looked nothing like the photo. The lettuce was standard bag mix and there was no dressing. When we asked, the server said "it doesn't come with dressing. We put salt on it." Huh!? Well it took another 4 minutes and two staff to get some ranch dressing and another cup of salsa to top our salads. Considering the $10 price tag, we were flabbergasted. The small portion of steak on the salad wasn't bad but we were really disappointed overall. I believe it was the worst salad we've ever had. We will still give the north side Azteca a try but will never return to this venue.

Kapolei, Hawaii
“Food wasn't bad, but parking was”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

To qualify this, I am originally from Southern California and Mexican food was a routine part of my diet. The food was just ok in my book, but I'm hard to please with any americanized mexican food. The service was wonderful, portion sizes were great. I think most non border state residents would enjoy the food here. The main problem was that the restaurant doesn't have it's own parking. They give you a discount on your meal for the cost of parking; however, the night we dined there was a parade in downtown and so the parking company had jacked up the price for special event parking to the tune of about $20. The restaurant gave me $5 toward the price of the meal. Check ahead on the the Spokane events to find out about the parking situation before driving in.

• Visited May 2013
oregon
“If the Northwest had a real Mexican Restaurant.....”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I knew what this was going to be like before we even set out to go there, but my one "nay" vote got lost in the herd. So there I was, breaking one of my rules, it goes like this: Never order pancakes in Mexico and never go to a "Mexican" restaurant above the California border.
There were 14 of us and the service I have to say was very good, then again the place was deserted. Water and drink orders were promptly accommodated by the friendly staff and then came the menus.... Dear me, where did the Idea that ANY of these dishes could be had in Mexico? I have traveled and dined at some great places in Mexico, on the East and West coast of Mexico, In Baja Mexico and of course in Southern California which has authentic Mexican restaurants by the hundreds or maybe thousands. You will not find in ANY of them Camerones Diabl;a in MUSHROOM sauce, really? Mushrooms? Oh well, get a big way over sweet margarita (obvious bottled mix and crap tequila) Order some faux "Mexican" food and leave bloated. Yep Northwest "Mexican". I ordered the Camerones (shrimp ) Diabla Which is a standard Mexican dish you can get all over Mexico. Very spicy with fresh onion, bell pepper, chile pepper in a roja (red) sauce. simple, elegant and delicious. What I got here can only be described as boiled shrimp smothered in Ragu spaghetti sauce with some cayenne pepper thrown in, the tip off here is the mushrooms. I can't say it tasted bad, but........
I have since renewed my vow to avoid all Mexican restaurants above the California border. There is just too many very good places serving honest fare to bother with these fakey-do places. If this is your bag, go for it, as for me. Nah.
Gets an average rating for the service, price and decor.