“Good as a Trendy or Yuppie place goes. You may love it”
Review of Central Food

Central Food
Ranked #52 of 900 Restaurants in Spokane
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We visited Central Food for lunch. It was a bit full to a bit crowded and noisy, but adequately staffed to keep up with the crowd. The food was trendy or yuppie fare such as "Pâté Plate duck rillete" instead of meat loaf or brisket sandwiches. They serve "Thai Beef Carpaccio" instead of steak. I don't even know what a Carpccio is, the language doesn't look like English, but if that's the kind of food you like then you would enjoy Central Food. Their menu is on their web site at eatcentralfood.com. The food was well prepared in a clean and comfortable space. There was a nice view of the river from large windows if the waiter didn't insist on closing the shade to prevent us from getting sunshine.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Ok, PEOPLE!!! Sometimes a restaurant does not build a menu around your personal preferences. The chef (artist) creates meals and blends flavors like oil on canvas hoping that you will pause for a moment and say hmmmm. You do not go into a restaurant hoping to find your mother's meatloaf. This was my second trip to Central Foods, both time for brunch, though I will admit this last trip was more of a late lunch and two of us really needed a Bloody Mary...which was both medicinal and scrumptious, (though I did miss the asparagus spears... but it is their recipe not mine). So as I said, two of us were returning for the second time...and we re-ordered our first visit meal, the open face Bacon and Egg Toast and the Terrine. Both very yummy and delightful. I am not going to share the flavors and ingredients...take a look at their menu. Maybe you will be tempted and discover something that centers on your taste buds. Our guest choose something I do not recall, and is not on the currently posted menu. However it came with a bacon jam on toast that was, well, the next level to heaven. Did I mention that each of us have recently opted to be gluten free, and they were able to step up.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

When David Blaine left Latah Bistro and disappeared from Spokane's food scene a few years ago, I was more than a little sad. His cheese croutons were like a meal in themselves. But happy for all of us who live here in Spokane, David was cooking up a new restaurant idea of his own, Central Food. With a magnificent view of the Spokane River and downtown, in a moderately spartan setting, the food is anything but plain. Complex concoctions using locally sourced ingredients, fresh breads and different and interesting flavor combinations makes every trip to Central Food it's own kind of culinary adventure. Korean pulled pork sandwiches, a killer Joe's Special and a terrific wedge salad that includes toast with bacon jam (yup, bacon jam!!) are among my favorites, but I look forward to every trip to Central Food just to see what David has cooked up that day. Make it a point to visit sometime soon. It will become one of your favorite food stops for sure!

1  Thank MsJeanna
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Centrally located near down, with a great view, and access to the newest part of the Centennial trail this looked like jus the spot for us. The first time we went we checked the web site to make sure we knew what time they opened, and arrived to find them closed for an employee outing. About a dozen other folks arrived just in the few minute we were there and like us were all a little confused as to why they were closed. Oh well. So today we decided to try again at lunch time. The place is urban, and hip with a no nonsense industrial look. It has counter seating for the folks who like to do so, and the kitchen is open so you can watch the chefs at work. I really like this. Service was good, the menu sparse, however the selections change often, and everything has a farm to table, organic, free range,gluten free feel to it that seems to be the current rage in Dining. I chose the open face pastrami sandwich with white cheddar cheese, and from a selection of side I chose the sweet potato JoJo's. My wife chose the organic salad with organic chicken. I loved mine but the salad was so-so. We saw peach cobbler on the dessert list with buttermilk ice cream and decided it was worth the splurge. It turned out to be quite flat . Not sweet, not ice creamy, and the peaches quite bland, and this is peach country. The coffee and ice teas were excellent, and there is a nice selection of beer and wines, and some bottled cocktails. I would not bring kids, it's more of an adult place. Give it a try it may be what your looking for. With the wide selection of really good places to eat in downtown Spokane I think Central foods is going to have to make some changes to compete.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Service was okay, nice place, great downtown view. Not much selection. No tradition soft drink, easy parking.

Been to Central Food? Share your experiences!