“Better than we hoped for”
Review of Yuzen - CLOSED

Yuzen
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed July 2, 2013

From the outside appearance, we didn't hold out much hope. Yuzen looks sorta rough and run down. We almost turned around. Good thing for us we were hungry and yearning for some tasty Japanese fare!

This place is great and we will definitely be back. The selection is good and the food fresh.

Service was fast and friendly, and the prices better than most.

The california rolls were Da bomb!

1  Thank Carl S
There are newer reviews for Yuzen

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I'll confess that the last place I expected to find a very authentic Japanese restaurant was suburban Spokane, in that sprawl of chain restaurants and sandwich joints populating North Division. We've visited Japan several times in the company of our daughter-in-law, who is from Tokyo. Having a Japanese family as hosts really helps accelerate the ability to detect real vs. "wannabe" restaurants her in the States.
So, as I was driving up Division on my way to a meeting, I was surprised to see a small readerboard proclaiming, "We serve sushi and Okonomiyaki." Holy Kyoto! If you haven't experienced the goodness of what some have described as "pancake meets pizza", then you have missed out on what is one of my favorite Japanese dishes ever.
I made a mental note of the restaurant's name (Yuzen) and location, and on my way back to the hotel, I stopped there for dinner.
Yuzen is operated (and presumably owned) by Japanese, which is almost always the precursor to excellent food. It's a small establishment, with an equally-small but energetic and friendly staff. Decor is what you'd find in your average Japanese restaurant...in Japan. Traditional Japanese music was playing at a comfortable volume.
Yuzen's sushi menu is extensive, and ranges from inexpensive to the exotic. I stuck with a simple tuna roll, which was fresh and delicious, and cost no more than the mediocre stuff you get in supermarkets... But I was really there for Okonomiyaki, and ordered it with pork. The server mentioned that the cook is from the province where Kyoto is located, and I believe Okonomiyaki originated. She definitely knows her craft, because the dish that arrived a few minutes later was outstanding! (I have added a photo of my Okonomiyaki as it landed in all its sizzling glory.)
This was as good as any Okonomiyaki I had in Japan. If you have never experienced this treat, which is especially excellent during a frosty evening, I highly recommend Yuzen Japanese Restaurant as the place to try it.
As an aside, the meal included a very good miso soup, and Yuzen's green tea is likewise "just right".
Service is first class from start to finish. The cost of my meal was a great value, considering the excellent quality of the dishes.
If you like truly authentic Japanese food, or want to sample traditional offerings from The Land of the Rising Sun, I highly recommend you visit Yuzen!

2  Thank FightingLeprechaun
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband and I recently discovered this little Japanese restaurant treasure...very unassuming and nothing fancy, but the food, price and the service were the best we have experienced in some time! We ordered the shrimp tempura plate with California roll and it was very fresh and delicious. The server knew her menu inside and out and even gave us gratus samples of dessert Saki so we could try it. We will definitely go back and would recommend it to anyone that enjoys good Japanese food. You won't be dissapointed.