“Southern love meets Northwest nouvelle”
Review of Casper Fry

Casper Fry
Reserve with OpenTable
Casper Fry is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #78 of 926 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: New restaurant
Reviewed September 18, 2013

One of our faves. Try the scallops and succotash, which are amazing, and gumbo that sets a new standard in my experience. Cocktails are delicious and cool, liberally laced with bitters and extracts. Service is usually friendly, crisp and competent. Atmosphere is casual and noisy on weekends, in a big room with brick walls and hardwoods. Lots of patrons in jeans and sneakers. There's a small outdoor porch for dining (although on summer weekend evenings the pumping music and crowd from hipster bar The Shop next door tends to swamp the experience). One of Spokane's best places for sure.

1  Thank Spokanic

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My co-workers and I heard a lot about Casper Fry - especially the fried chicken. So for lunch a group of 10 popped in around 11:40am. They have a parking lot so don't have to run out to feed a meter! Once we were in the restaurant, I'm happy to say they sat us down immediately! The waiter was friendly, prompt, and made sure we didn't need anything.

Cool interior atmosphere! Definitely should go in and check this place out...huge open area with an old friendly hip feel. Loved the milk bottles of water on the tables.

Like someone else said, there was not salt & pepper on the tables and when some of us ordered tea we had to specifically ask for sugar.

The bummer is that they DON'T serve the fried chicken for lunch...only dinner!! Also, for being a southern restaurant they didn't offer a lot of southern standard entrees - jambalaya; dirty rice; pan bread; collard greens; crawfish; catfish; etouffe; or gumbo as a stand alone entree (only get it as a side dish).

So we ordered the pulled pork sandwich that comes with garlic fries ($11), shrimp & grits ($16), shrimp po-boy with garlic fries ($11); and red beans & rice ($10). The menu is quite pricey for what you get. The garlic fries were the star of the day - crisp shoefry potatoes with garlic! The shrimp & grits were too oily (literally there's a pool of orange oil) and not as spicy as I would like but I understand since they have to serve to the majority. The pulled pork sandwiches were OK...nothing spectacular. The red beans and rice were good but bland. We understand it was a Vegan dish but would be nice if they offered an alternative that had ham or bacon in the red beans & rice. People liked the shrimp po boy. The shrimp on the po boys and in the shrimp & grits are prawns! The only down side is that they still have the tails...so you have to remove them.

Looking over the dinner menu, some of us want to give Casper Fry another try. :o) They also have a full bar and offer an array of desserts.

1  Thank Cbug73
Reviewed September 11, 2013

After hearing from several co-workers I need to try Casper Fry, I decided to stop after work on Friday. The menu had some interesting choices - I tried the Casper plate (you can choose any 3 side dishes). I had red beans & rice, butternut squash soup and roasted vegetables. All were delicious and I was very full. The atmosphere is nice - but a little hard to hear (lots of background noise) so I wouldn't choose it as a place to meet if you are trying to have a conversation. The chairs were also very uncomfortable. My co-workers warned me this is not someplace to sit comfortably or linger much beyond your last bite. The food is very good, but probably best for a lunch - not a place to unwind after the week.

1  Thank Bikewalk
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Waaaay over-priced..$18 for chicken dinner..Asked for sugar..brought sweetnlow, asked for sugar..brought a sugarbowl with barely 3 spoons of sugar. No salt pepper on the table. Fried chicken batter was oddly sweet and the chicken was very undercooked. Biscuit was tasteless. Ordered glutenfree salad, brought with croutons on it...waited a long time for a new one. Waiter brought check and never even asked if we wanted dessert. Room is so noisy you can hardly chat during meal.

2  Thank c m
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was a really cool looking place, but the food was only okay. We were told the house specialty was pulled pork, but that was just average. Also tried the fish tacos, and they lacked flavor. Service was pretty good, so I would give this place another try.

2  Thank MrsDrO2U