“Roma on Regal”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: (509) 326-2559
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I'm perplexed by a couple of the really negative reviews. Our experience couldn't have been more positive.
We had checked the menus of several of the eateries in the area before seeing Cafe Italiano's and it had so many delicious Italian dishes on it, we chose it hands down.

My husband and I have traveled to Italy many times and also are former Italian restaurant owners so we do know authentic Italian food. We were so delighted by each of our dinners which started with a nice composed salad tossed with a perfectly balanced dressing and served with a buttery house made (not just house warmed-up) bread.

My husband, a huge fan of Spaghetti Carbonara was really happy to see that they made it the traditional way, rich with egg, pancetta, parmesan and perfectly al dente pasta. I chose the Chicken Milano and couldn't stop raving about the rich four cheese sauce made with sherry wine giving it just a blush of sweet offset by the artichoke hearts and tender chicken medallions.

For dessert, we chose two of the menu items they import from Italy and Sicily and got them to go so we could enjoy them later. I had the Lemon Della Nona, a buttery, lemon crumb cake studded with toasted pine nuts and it literally melted in my mouth. My husband opted for the cannoli, rich riccotta-based filling with citron and chocolate wrapped in a crisp cannoli shell. Both excellent and authentic.

Please don't let some of the negative reviews stop you from trying this great place for yourself. This was our first visit and we are looking forward to many more.

2  Thank CouleeCat

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went with another couple and three out of the four dishes we ordered were not good and were barely eaten. The salad was very good as was a mushroom appetizer but overall a place to avoid. The waitress could not remember the specials and brought a glass of red wine when white had been ordered but , in fairness, we drank the red and were not charged for it.

1  Thank bill1964_12
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We went in with a group of 11 not 1 person liked their food. My food was NEVER ORDERED and my husband who's birthday we were there celebrating literally found nothing on the menu he would eat. Not only were we told we needed to be re-educated on the taste of food we were told we should have said something earlier. Well when a hostess comes to ask 2 of the 11 how their food is when they haven't tasted it yet and then no one comes from then on then your cook refuses to take the 2 entrees that were never finished and a salad that tasted awful off the bill then literally kick us out tell us never to come back and that we are wrong? You want to k ow why it was 1/2 eaten? Cuz we've waited 2 hours for dinner and are starving that's why!!!!! We got home and ordered a pizza and will be disputing g the charges with our credit card company and reporting them to the better business bureau. After personally worki g in the restaurant industry for over 6 years I have NEVER encountered worse food or service or have been treated so poorly at a restaurant in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank TiffanySHill
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This little cafe offers world-class dining. The dishes are creative and the flavors are amazing. I can't believe we have such a treasure in our north Spokane neighborhood. If you're anywhere in the Spokane-area, you have to try Cafe Italiano. If you're visiting Spokane, make sure this is one place you eat while you're here. And if you want a quick meal - the pizza is the best and they have super deals! This is a family-run restaurant. It's a treat to talk to the owners - they're all great! We're hooked on Cafe Italiano!

1  Thank FieldfamilyMom
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Cafe Italiano is a hidden treasure in the restaurant landscape of Spokane. It serves both Italian and Greek food. Plus, they can custom make just about anything you want. Their fresh specials change daily. You can order pizza, which is excellent, but I prefer their rotating specials or dinner menu. Peter (the father) is Greek and his ex-wife is Italian. The Italian recipes are home made and not cookie cutter fare. Even though the restaurant is a former Pizza Hut, it's very clean. In a larger market you could pay many times more for Cafe Italiano's quality of food. The service is always excellent. The desserts are always outstanding; but if Peter is cooking that day, you'll be treated to European sweets heaven! I can't recommend this place enough. My husband and I recently honeymooned in Seattle, a great food city. We tried to eat cuisines we don't have in Spokane. We didn't eat any Italiano because we have world class at home.

1  Thank Cheryl M