WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Spokane Airport

Holiday Inn Spokane Airport
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
Tacoma, Washington
“Fails To Live Up To Potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Traveling on Army business limits my choice of hotels, even when there is no difference in room rate. That's one reason I ended up staying the week here. The remote location is a little inconvenient, but Spokane isn't L.A., so no big deal. Let's start with the good points: Parking is free and plentiful; my room featured a very good shower, comfortable bed, and HDTV with a decent selection of channels.
Not so good points: Smokers tend to walk out of a side door and stop right outside my 1st floor window to light up. The heating/cooling unit sucks all those carcinogens into my room...I tried to mitigate the pollution by leaving the heat off, but the windows aren't sealed well, so the smoke filters in anyway. I spoke to the desk clerk, who made sympathetic utterances, but that was it. The smart move would have been to ask for a different room, but since I had already set up my "traveling office", I opted for laziness, so that's on me. Just avoid Room 132 if you are a non-smoker!
Another gripe I have is with the nickle-and-dime scams perpetrated in the hotel restaurant, Peppers. While the quality of the food is acceptable, the staff have apparently been schooled in slick ways to increase the unwary diner's bill. Example: when you are seated for breakfast, before getting a chance to open your menu, your server appears with carafes of coffee and orange juice in hand, asking smoothly, "Coffee and juice for you this morning?" Most new diners I observed (which included your truly on Day 1) answer, "Okay." Of course, when your check arrives, you discover that the glass of OJ cost you about three bucks.
Last night I had a prime rib dip sandwich, which the menu notes, "comes with your choice of a side (dish)". I looked at the available side dishes and saw "macaroni and cheese". Sounded better than fries or onion rings, so that was my choice. Bartender got a funny look on her face, and said, "There's an upcharge for that side." My instincts dulled from a day of matching wits with bad guys, I assumed the extra cost meant the mac n' cheese must be super awesome. Wrong answer, sportsfans! It was (I am not kidding here) a dish of lukewarm Kraft Mac n' Cheese, like what you buy for 29 cents a box when your bank balance is zeroed out at the end of the month. While I was still staring at my plate in disbelief and mild amusement, a newly-checked in guest bellied up to the bar, handed his free drink chit to the bartender, and asked for a couple of sodas. (For he and his wife) Bartender says, (loudly) "I'm sorry, but that's only good for one drink, the second's gonna cost ya." The guest replied, "But the desk clerk told us since wa paid for a double room, that chit was good for two drinks." Bartender summoned the night manager, who told the guest that the desk clerk had been incorrect. The guest told his wife that they were going to check out in the morning and find another hotel for the week. So, smooth business decision, Mr. Night Manager Guy!
I do need to mention that this hotel's other bartender, Travis, could give the rest of the staff lessons on great customer service skills. If you do happen to wind up at this Holiday Inn, you can trust Travis to not rip you off. (Hope this review doesn't get him fired!)

Bottom line: There are far better hotels in Spokane at the same room rate. If you have a choice, use it.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Spokane Airport, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear FightingLeprechaun,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced because of your restaurant experience and the room conditions. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
Wenatchee, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The room was clean and quite, Easy access to the parking lot. Happy hour at the lobby was great. Room service for breakfast was fast, ggod food and a reasonable price. Very friendly staff at the front desk, bar and room service. Great shuttle service to the Casino. Easy to find and well worth the price. Would recommend to anyone going to the Casnio or the airport.

Room Tip: Quite on the 4th floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Vermont USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Easy access to airport, shuttle both downtown and airport ( 4 am!), helpful staff, very clean room. We had dinner and breakfast at the attached restaurant which was basic but fine. Would recommend to anyone looking for accommodation close to the airport.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Spokane Airport, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear bob1950,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Edmonds, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a great option for hotels in the greater Spokane area. I've always stayed in downtown but wanted something less expensive. The hotel is in an small office park, ample parking and some green areas to walk the dog. The rooms were very clean, nicely decorated, quiet and good A/C. The staff was very helful and found me a room near an exit so I take the dog our without disturbing other patrons. The room service menu was decent and fast. All in all this is an affordable option in the Spokane area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Redlands, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed here for the first time and I won't be staying here again for a few reasons. It's really not that bad, but not for me.

Pros:
1. Staff is SUPER friendly. Everyone from the front desk staff to the bartender are really nice and eager to help you. I checked in and was greated with a free drink (for being a rewards member), free wifi, and a great explanation of the layout of the hotel. I got my drink and dinner at Pepper's and the bartender and waitress were really sweet with great service.
2. The hotel is clean. I appreciate a nice-smelling and clean hotel.
3. Wifi is Free.
4. Cofee in the room.
5. Fitness room is 24 hours.
6. Indoor Pool
7. Blow Dryer works great
8. Great water pressure in the shower

Cons:
1. I have Sprint and I don't get reception here. I am here for work so it's important I can stay connected. The front desk staff said Sprint gets awful service out here.
2. Wifi is really slow at times.
3. I ate at Peppers (on site restaurant) for dinner and I ordered a side salad (Ranch was DELICIOUS) and macaroni and cheese... the mac and cheese was literally KRAFT out of the box. It wasn't bad, but you'd think it wouldn't be KRAFT.
4. The bed is really uncomfortabe
5. The bathtub is very small

Overall is wasn't bad. And there isn't anything that makes this a completely avoidable hotel, but I don't think I'll stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Maggie W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

This holiday Inn is very nice and clean. The rooms were very modern and even had nice flat screen TV. The bed was firm and comfortable. Even the swimming pool and hot tub were nice. They even provide free shuttle to nearby casino. Only thing Holiday Inn could have provide with complementary breakfast would have been nice. They have a restaurant inside but little pricey for family. Overall very nice motel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Greencop
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband & I and our kids stayed here for one night in late July. It was a last minute choice to stay here and we were pleasantly suprised. From the moment I called the hotel to book, to the time that we checked out, we were provided with exceptionally friendly service from the young staff. The rooms were very clean and I liked the selection and quality of toiletries. The indoor pool area was basic but sufficient enough for the kids to cool off at the end of the day. The restaurant was quiet and clean with average food but again, amazingly attentive server from the young gentleman who was our waiter. Kids eat free with adults, so it was quite inexpensive. Would stay again if passing through.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spokane
Wingate by Wyndham Spokane Airport
#1 of 46 in Spokane
Stratford Suites - Spokane
Stratford Suites - Spokane
#2 of 3 in Airway Heights

Been to Holiday Inn Spokane Airport? Share your experiences!