“Mediocre Motel”
Review of Apple Tree Inn

Apple Tree Inn
Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
Reviewed October 1, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Apple Tree Inn as the first stop on our road trip from Seattle to Chicago. We saw that the Apple Tree Inn was one of the higher rated motels on TripAdvisor in Spokane, so we thought it would be pretty decent.

Unfortunately, it wasn't as nice as we had expected. The room was very small, quite old and hadn't been renovated in a long time. It was clean, but it had a sort of moldy, mildew-like smell to it. There wasn't much in the way of toiletries -- not enough soap or shampoo, and nothing more.

Also, while they did have both wireless and wired internet, there was no ethernet cable supplied, and our room was located such that I could just barely get a wireless connection and my wife's laptop, with a weaker antenna, couldn't get one at all. And both the wired and wireless connections were slower than dial-up -- almost unusable.

To be fair, the price was low, and it was sufficient as a fairly comfortable place to sleep. But my gut tells me that it wouldn't be too hard to find a nicer and comparably priced place to stay in Spokane.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pmaxx
AppleTreeInnMotel, Manager at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2008

We strive to keep our hotel as clean as possible. We have 4 buildings which 2 of them are older looking than the other 2 but we do still keep all 4 spotless. If there are any problems with the cleanliness or smell of the room (which hopefully is never) please do not hesitate to notify the front desk immediately so that we can correct the situation by even moving you to a better room.

The internet connection was really slow last year which is why we added another modem, doubling our connection speed and also installed ethernet outlets in 20 more rooms so that 3 buildings have both the wired and wireless connections. The 4th building currently only has wireless connection. We do have ethernet wires available for checkout at the front desk at no cost to you. If the internet connection seems to slow, please let us know because it usually just takes a quick reset of the modem / router to get it back to par.

If the toiletries are not enough, please let either housekeeping or the front desk know. We do provide extras at no cost.

We apologize that we could not make your stay an enjoyable one. If you do decide to stay with us again, please let us know of any requests or problems you may have and we will do everything in our power to help you.

Apple Tree Inn
Management

Reviewed September 20, 2008

I loved this hotel the first time I stayed there but this second time was a nightmare. After taking a shower my feet were black by the time I walked from the bathroom to my closet. Their statement was well there is residue left from the professionals we have that clean it... Great walking on mildew ... I had my kids with me and made them wear their shoes as much as possible. The deadbolt fell off and was not fixed during our stay ...I have an autistic son so we had to put chairs in front of the door to keep him from getting out at night... and finally no working microwave and it took them hours to bring a replacement and then they just left the non working one and used up the rest of the counter space with the additional one. I asked to talk to the manager but no avail... and no discount for my inconvenience either. Will not go here again. Stay away if you have kids.... unhealthy for them.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

I am sorry you were not pleased with your stay here. I do remember speaking with you personally. We were sold out of non-smoking units and I am sorry that unfortunately the only choice you had was a smoking unit.

The dead bolt came off because it was unscrewed off. When you called the front desk, the employee wanted to come and fix the bolt for you since all it takes is a quick 10 seconds to screw it back in. We also have a maintenance man on call 24/7. However, you kindly refused our help saying that it wasn't that big of a deal since the door is still locked even without the deadbolt. That is why I could not give a discount.

I'm sorry if I didn't introduce myself as the manager, but I do remember speaking with you. Again, I apologize that you were unhappy with your stay for we our main goals are to be clean and affordable for everyone.

Apple Tree Inn Management

Reviewed August 25, 2008

With 5 adults and one child, the chances of finding reasonably priced accommodation is slim. Well, we found a place where we all could stay in comfort for $100 per night. It included a reasonable continental breakfast and a full kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave, dishes and dishwasher. All the beds were actual beds and quite comfortable (no pull outs or cots). It contained the kitchen and 3 separate sleeping areas. No frills, outdoor pool was small, TV was small (but adequate). There was lots of hot water, great housekeeping, extra towels, fast check in and out with no hassles, fairly quiet, good A/C unit, close to grocery store, Walmart, and Northtown Mall. Many restaurant choices close by. Easily found and accessible situated between highways 2 and 395. Overall a pleasant experience. Traveling with lots of people and wanting to stay on the North side of town, this is the place!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2008

we stayed here for 2 nights, family of five. very clean room, friendly staff, continental breakfast, full size kitchen, wireless internet.

Make sure to book early, we didn't, we got the smoking rooms. It was aired out, but the smell permeates.

Overall, the experience is very good and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank mekeni
Reviewed August 12, 2008

How often do you see a dirt-cheap hotel ranked so highly on the TA list? Not often, but the Apple Tree Inn fits the bill.

Yes, the rooms go for less than <$55 for a single (during summer season), and yes, the hotel deserves the high ranking imho.

The room was nice, well furnished, clean, small but not tiny. There was a microwave, a sink, and a fridge in the room. The property is located at the intersection of Rt 2 and 93 (?) in Spokane and close to many restaurants, shops, and malls. The staff was super nice. There was a simple continental breakfast which I did not partake in (it wasn't anything special). The inn is spread out over a few buildings, and the entrances are all inside. Despite facing the highway, my room was quiet.

I would absolutely stay there again, it's a GREAT value.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank nysingle
Reviewed June 8, 2008

I read about this property on this website and my curiousity was piqued. We went down to Spokane for a day of cross-border shopping and decided to stay.

I had read about the Apple Tree's deluxe family suite (3 bedrooms, under $100) and decided to stop and see if it was available (my wife and my two under-10-years old boys were also with me). It was, so I booked us in.

Here's where our only moment of trepidation came; my wife was hoping to stay in a hotel instead of a motel, so she was momentarily disappointed. But when we got into the room itself, disappointment was gone. A living room with a bed. Kitchen adjoining with fridge, microwave. A bedroom with two little beds (which the kids immediately claimed). And yet another bedroom which went unused during our stay.

Top it off with a free continental breakfast the next morning, and I can personally guarantee you this will not be the last time I stay at this property! I'm already planning a fottball trip with some buddies to see Washington State - and am hoping we can get this exact room.

Finally, about 10 days after we stayed at the Apple Tree Inn, we received a handwritten 'thank you' from the property for staying with them.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Conan_D
Reviewed May 27, 2008

We were looking for a reasonably priced, clean, and quiet play to stay for a couple nights while playing some golf in Spokane. The Apple Tree fit our needs for clean and quiet. And the price is a lot less than a room in downtown. But, the property is way out on North Division and isn't convenient to a lot of attractions in Spokane. You might want to consider this when making your plans. The staff was friendly. They let us check in at 10 a.m. and gave us a nice, if small, downstairs room. It was small but clean. At night it was very quiet and the bed was pretty comfortable. Not too hard. I hate hard beds. The breakfast in the morning was minimal. But, across the street is a Rosauer's Restaurant that is a good place for breakfast. We may stay here again in August when we are back in Spokane and headed to Canada. But, we probably won't stay again unless we need to be in north Spokane.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple