“Ceiling rattling hours of child's tantrum in room above me”
Review of Apple Tree Inn

Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I endured hours of a child's tantrum stomping and running around the room bouncing off the walls above me from late afternoon to nearly midnight. I made numerous complaint calls to the front desk. The desk clerk made numerous visits up to the room during this time with only short pauses in the cessation in the thunderous noise. It sounded like adults in combat boots doing judo throws upstairs. The front desk staff was totally ineffective and, as far as I know, did not contact the on-premises owner. My evening was miserable due to the foregoing. Further, I was awakened at 4:00 am due to the noisy, banging water pipes. The owner gave me a small rebate on my one night's room charge. Considering the unnecessary torment I went through, the room would not have been a bargain even if it was free. The owner should have booted this woman and her three kids out since they would not maintain decorum and consideration for others. Since the owner is unwilling to control the conduct of his guests, he deserves to lose business. He has lost mine for good. This occurred on Memorial Day Weekend and the motel was full. This hotel is rundown and charges more than what a traveller should pay for same. I canceled my second night and checked into a Choice Hotel Property, got a great nights sleep, a hot breakfast (unlike the previous place) and a $50 gift card for my unintended stay. Plus, the rate was cheaper than what I paid at the Apple Tree Inn. Vote with your dollars!

Room Tip: Avoid noise. Get a top floor room if you still wish to stay here. Don't know if this will help...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank aajetmom
AppleTreeInnMotel, Manager at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was unsatisfactory. We appreciate that you notified the front desk about your complaint. As a result, the front desk staff made numerous attempts to quiet the guests above your room. If we were not sold out that night, the front desk would have been more than happy to switch you rooms. As compensation, we offered you a discount from your night's stay. In response to your statement that we are "rundown", we make sure each room is clean and well maintained as well as making sure our grounds are presentable and welcoming. We are in the process of updating our rooms as well.

Again, we are sorry that our efforts to address your complaints did meet up to your expectations. We hope to be able to have another opportunity to provide you better experience in the future.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Looked at other motels in Spokane but always come back to the Apple Tree, why? Good sized family suites always beautifully clean, great amenities, perfect location and the best staff EVER!!!!Have been coming to the Apple Tree for 14 years, first my husband and myself and friends and now we bring the family. The Apple Tree has improved considerably over that time, clean comfortable beds, new crockery and utensils, microwave, dishwasher and full sized oven, everything you need for a wonderful family stay. This Motel is family run and they CARE and it SHOWS, and my family and I love everything about it, best place on Division.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynn M
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My golf group stayed here for three years - 6 nights in June each time - the rooms we reserved were ideal for our group - great for hospitality and/or privacy for each fellow. The breakfast every morning was always ready to go and the coffee and juices plentiful - nothing anyone would want to ask for more and if you did the staff did their best to accommodate. We'll be back again, but will be trying new area for the trip this year - and when we come back we'll be looking to stay at the Apple Tree again. Brian

Room Tip: If you have a golf group, the family rooms are great.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 30, 2012

They allow pets, BUT if you have a pet with you this place puts you in a smoking room.

We had a Yorkie with us and the clerk put us in a stinky smoking room. When I asked why she said it's their policy and moving to a non-smoking room wasn't allowed. If you're sensitive or allergic to cigarette smoke this can be a real problem.

I feel that their claims of being pet-friendly are disingenuous.

We won't stay here again - ever.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Brainymom
AppleTreeInnMotel, Manager at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Our pet policy of only allowing small dogs in our smoking rooms has remained the same for many years. This is stated on our website as well as all third party websites (such as Expedia, Priceline, Hotel.com, etc.) If you make your reservation directly by calling us, our front desk is trained to inform guests of our pet policy. We understand that not everyone can stay in a smoking room due to allergies or they find cigarette smoke unpleasant which is why we are upfront about our policy. If a guest who does not smoke stays with us and has a pet, we can also air out the room. You should have been made aware of the pet policy prior to arrival and that you would be in a smoking room (we would not have placed you in a smoking room without informing you) and I apologize if you do not agree with it. Again, we are sorry that your stay with us wasn't what you had expected.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

OK $45 I kept telling myself that. I was flying out the next morning, just needed a bed. Nice that there was a Microwave, Refer and extra sink. TV Remote did not change Channel down, not a big deal, I stayed here a year ago, and gave a positive review, for the price. This year however, I was disappointed. Stephanie at the front desk was great, Got to my room, 408 realized it was right next to Division Street, I was too busy to change, had people to meet, then listened to traffic all night. I can handle that, my fault. What is not my fault, a black hair on the floor of the bathroom, I am gray/blonde ok, no big deal, I probably tracked it in. Then I looked for a towel, 5 black hairs on my towels, one behind the toilet seat, then a 9 inch black hair on my pillow. I finally called the front desk, she brought me a new (different) pillow........If it was not so late I would have left, still $45 went through my head. But doesn't this Maid see these hairs????? Did my linens not get changed, just recycled? Gross.........And the Pillows are about 2" thick, and feel like pot holders, linens very soft and old, this place needs some money put into it, but then it will be $65, Which I would rather pay I guess, However not having hair on the linens should not cost the consumer, it is a cost inherent to running a motel, at least that is how I would do it, Smoking/Non Smoking? Hair/Hairless? What do we have to ask for?

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Division Street, The busiest Street in Spokane
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank walks4653
AppleTreeInnMotel, Manager at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very sorry that your stay did not meet up to your expectations. Two of our biggest priorities are for every room to be clean and comfortable while maintaining economical rates. The head housekeeper and the housekeeper that cleaned your room have been notified about this incident and appropriate measures will be ensued. It is unacceptable for you to have find your room in that condition.

We constantly replace our pillows and linens. I apologize if you had one of the flatter pillows. Please don't hesitate to notify the front desk if you have any problems with your room. We would be happy to fix our mistakes such as supplying more pillows or moving you rooms. Also, guests can also put in special requests while making a reservation or at check in time, such as asking for a room away from the highway or the need of extra pillows.

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your feedback. The Apple Tree Inn staff sincerely hope to have another opportunity to provide you a better experience the next time you stay with us.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed at Apple Tree Inn which is about 1 mile from Whitworth University campus. The best rate is the 'sign' rate which is shown on the street sign on Newport Ave about 2 blocks away. Refer to it for the rate. I'm always comfortable staying here as it's cheap, relatively clean given the price and has a decent breakfast. However, I wouldn't take my family here as my wife is more particular.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Seriously the most disgusting dump I've ever had the displeasure of being in. Zero security, no keyed entry to common areas where room doors in. Those doors are unlocked at all times. The door in the room doesn't shut on its own and has no other locks aside from it shutting. Garbage every where under the bed and in drawers and cupboards. Hair EVERYWHERE on the toilet, the tub, and in the bed. Broken outlets. The bed was broken but being supported by a wood chunk shoved underneath. Constant outside noise from traffic and sirens. I can hear the person in the next room sneeze. Room is freezing no matter what. Sheets are super itchy! Just a DUMP!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank sal2727
AppleTreeInnMotel, Manager at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

We're sorry to hear your stay (that was pre-paid by a local high end furniture company) was unsatisfactory. Upon hearing your complaint at check-out, our front desk clerk immediately apologized, discounted the room rate, and also notified the head housekeeper and management.

The hallways are not locked, but that is the case in many hotels. Your room has a very heavy and secure metal door that actually has 2 locks. One is the door handle and the other is the deadbolt.

We apologize for the plastic bag in the cabinet and the 2 strands of hair that were found on the toilet, and agree that is absolutely unacceptable. The cabinet high up above the microwave is the only place that had garbage (a single grocery bag) and also the place that had the only broken outlet. The housekeeper that had cleaned the room was a recent new hire, and subsequently let go due to her multiple unsatisfactory performances.

We inspected the queen bed & frame, which were not broken. The wood block was only placed underneath it to provide further support to the sound frame. Almost all of our bed frames have wood blocks underneath and none of the bed frames are broken. We have extra new frames in storage and replace anything broken immediately.

The outlet that is in the high cabinet (above the microwave) is not broken, but had a screw loose that has since been fixed. Upon request, we do also offer rooms away from the street noise if you are a light sleeper.

Cleanliness, comfort and a good night's sleep is of utmost importance to us. We sincerely do apologize our efforts did not meet your expectations. We hope to have another chance to provide a better experience the next time you stay with us.