“Grand Old Lady”

GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle,Wa
“Grand Old Lady”
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We have stayed at several of the afflueent chain hotels in Spokane, but none could compare with the grandeur and history that is The Davenport. This is a remakable place to stopover and visit.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lewiston
Reviewed April 14, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Davenport Towers Hotel. Let me tell you, they took care of us like no other hotel I have ever been to. I am so impressed with them. My car broke down in the valet. I notified valet that it had broke down, I gave them the information about what was wrong with it and they called a mechanic out (on a Sunday) and within 20 minutes my car was fixed. No joke, these guys mean business. I will always come back to the davenport!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Arizona
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Stayed here March 5-7. Front desk staff fabulous and patient. Great beds, spotless, wonderful history and story, overall great, would have given them an "excellent rating" except for the following:

Could have done without the nightly turn-down peanut brittle and used in-room coffee instead. It made me remember why I hate staying in LV--all hotels force you to dress, make yourself respectable, and travel to the public areas for one lousy cup of coffee. If the Davenport delivers free daily newspapers in the morning, an in-room cup of coffee would have been a nice pairing instead of requiring me, as a guest who expected to be comfortable, to spend over $2.00 for one cup of Starbuck's coffee.

Cautionary note: their hair dryer was VERY anemic.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank AZnative58
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed March 5, 2009

We were amazed to find that this beautiful hotel accepted dogs without any additional charges. We were traveling with a toddler, an infant, and 2 large dogs. The staff at the Davenport were friendly and very helpful (especially with the dogs), and our room was beautifully decorated and clean. The staff at the Davenport will even walk your dogs for you. It was such a pleasure to have our entire family welcomed at a hotel! We highly recommend the Davenport!
Oh yeah, although we didn't get to experience it ourselves, the bar seemed to be a happening place.

Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank canative101
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed February 10, 2009

I marked it down a notch for cost and a few minor details. I got a special deal and got a little more than I expected for a hotel of this caliber, but paying full price I might not have been quite as happy even if it's probably comparable to similar hotel rates. Parking is costly as well. Dinner at Safari Grill in their tower: food was excellent- atmosphere and service good.

I let them know we were celebrating our 20th anniversary when I booked the reservation. They kindly upgraded our room and left 2 red roses on the bed! Much appreciated. Room was tastefully and well furnished, comfortable, bed/linens fabulous. Very clean. Roomy and great amenities. Beautiful building. Well kept. Excellent customer service. Starbucks in the lobby a plus. Good downtown location, but the downtown "noise" can be heard a little from inside. Really enjoyed the stay. Spa and restaurants and small specialty shops on site. Quality products and furnishings.

Long line for check in, and bill was incorrect at check out. They corrected it pleasantly and quickly when I pointed out the 2 discrepancies. Would stay another special occasion there.

• Liked — Customer Service and quality of room and building furnishings and design
  • Disliked — regular price for room and parking fees
  • Stayed February 2009
3 Thank Traveldanse
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed January 24, 2009

The Davenport is supposedly the premier hotel in Spokane. I've stayed at many 5 stars and this ain't one.

First off, there are two buildings, the older one and newer tower. Can be problematic if you are dropped off by the car service or taxi and then you have to walk across the street. Due to this, it took bell service 90 minutes to get my bags across the street to me.

I stayed in the new tower but some family were located in the older building so I was able to see a typical room. To put it bluntly, I'm glad I was in the new tower. The rooms are decorated in a older design and not the great art deco/antique-type style. It's more like old lady who has smoked for 50 years and really never did upgrades nor improvements.

The new tower is nice but DEFINITELY not in the league of Ritz or Four Seasons. Not even close.

Hotel staff seemed a bit annoyed to be bothered with requests and even questions (is this a generational thing?)

I hear the Lusso is new nice one in town. Maybe that will be better.

• Liked — Nothing really stands out
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kingbear23
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 16, 2009

Last time I was in Spokane, I visited The Davenport for a self-guided tour and a drink in The Peacock Lounge. This time I had the pleasure of staying four nights at this truly beautiful hotel. (I stayed in the main hotel, not the newer Tower.)

Cleanliness, food, service - you name it, it's topnotch. Turn down service is standard; housekeeping is unintrusive. Front desk, bell staff and valet staff are friendly and make it a point to address you by name.

The Peacock lounge serves drinks, appetizers and a limited menu. The bartenders are courteous and know what they're doing.

Had breakfast in the Palm Court one morning. Delicious and priced right based on the surroundings, the service and the city.

Walked across the street to the Tower and its onsite Safari Room. Quite nice -- less ornate and "Old World" than the main hotel.

If you're unable to stay a night or two, be sure to stop by for a visit. This place is steeped in history and sports some remarkable decor.

• Liked — Inconspicuous housekeeping
  • Disliked — limited brunch hours on Sunday
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple