“One of my favorites”

The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection
Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 7, 2008

First let me say this: I am a picky world traveller who often finds fault in the places I stay (mostly because some don't seem to care about the people that stay there.) The Davenport on the other hand is that rare gem that always shines. I have stayed here on five separate occasions and each time I discover a new layer of wonderful complexity. The most recent stay was with my partner on a two week swing through the northwest. We upgraded to one of the corner suites. It was one of the largest hotel rooms I have stayed in and had the wonderful Davenport bed, tub and shower for six. Yes, the furniture looks like it was made in the Phillipines and made to look fancy, but this is SPOKANE people. The real beauty of this place is the history and the service. What can I say? I will make a 200 mile detour out of the way just to stay here if in the area. Tips: The restaurants downtown are many and varied. Clinkerdagger food is excellent and if you can eat outside, by all means do so. The Greek place nearby, Niko's, has an outstanding wine list, but the food is just average. Make sure you spend time touring the lobby, especially the second floor areas. There you will find many photographs of the early history of the hotel. If you are government or military, by all means contact the front desk and see if they are offering the govt. rate.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ben W
There are newer reviews for The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection

Reviewed October 7, 2008

Have heard about this hotel for many years but have never been able to visit or stay. It was shut down for awhile then underwent ambitious restorations. Now it is glorious!

This is really a jewel in the crown of the Inland Empire, and makes a visit to Spokane a real treat. This hotel, from the management to the decor, does everything right. Management (thanks, Gary!) fixed a mess-up reservation for me with great civility which I very much appreciated. Loved the look of the place - really a treat! The architecture, ornamentation, seating design, dark wood furnishings, etc - all is fascinating. The beds, room size, amenties etc are all as wonderful as everyone else says on this site.

Location is wonderful with good walking to many interesting shops, food, Riverfront park with its bevy of running sculptures, etc.

I'm eager to return over the holidays to see the hotel with its lovely festive decorations! This is really one of the most delightful hotels I've ever known.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank Northwesterners
Reviewed October 7, 2008

We were visting Spokane for my college reunion and wanted to support the resurgence of downtown by staying at the beautifully restored Davenport. The service from the check-in desk to the housekeeping staff was magnificent. Attentive but never intrusive.

We met friends at the Peacock Bar with a wonderful selection of local wines, beers and any cocktail imaginable. We had a plumbing problem with the toilet, but forgot to call housekeeping. When we returned to our room late that night, the turn-down service had noticed the problem and fixed it without any disturbance to us.

The bed was wonderful, the room small but well-appointed, and the bath lotions and towels were luxurious. I really liked the fact that they had the lotions and soaps in dispensers rather than those little plastic bottles that just get thrown away. A little better for the environment.

We would definitely stay at the Davenport again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2008

We loved our stay at the Davenport! Our only regret was not staying longer (although our wallet is happy about that!)

When we booked our stay, I contacted the property directly to find out if they have military discounts. Although they don't mention it on their website, they did give us a military discount. Because of this discount and being able to book our stay far in advance, we got a good deal on our stay.

Be sure to budget additional funds for parking and tipping. We had our car valet parked and had hotel staff help us with our things to our room.

We were on a road trip when we stayed here, and we arrived wearing "car-comfortable" clothes. I felt a bit under-dressed as we walked through the lobby. This is quite a fancy place!

We stayed in the main (older) part of the hotel in a King Suite. The room was VERY big! The bed is so high off of the ground that there are steps to assist you in getting on the bed. The room furniture, artwork, and decorations are fabulous. I would love to decorate my master bedroom at home this way! The bed is extremely comfortable, and hotel staff even came in at night to turn down our sheets and give us some of their homemade peanut brittle as a bedtime snack. It was tasty!

Now for my favorite part of the hotel: The bathroom! We had a large bathtub and a separate shower. We stayed there for one night, and I think I managed to get 3 baths in during our stay. It was that relaxing! There are also plush robes provided for your stay (those stay there) and slippers that you can take home with you.

A stay at the Davenport wouldn't have been complete without touring the hotel. You can pick-up an official tour pamphlet from the front desk that leads you on a self-guided tour of the hotel. I would highly recommend doing this if you stay here. Just be careful not to walk into a ballroom that is having a wedding reception (not that we did that...)

I hope that we can come back to the Davenport one day to feel like royalty again.

• Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank g8rfan1
Reviewed October 1, 2008

I travel frequently and felt motivated to write a review about this fabulous hotel! I stayed in the tower which was new (as of 2007) and room was extremely clean and well-appointed. The bed is the most comfy hotel bed I've ever slept in. Also, the staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way. Great value and a great stay!

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed September 29, 2008

We stayed at The Davenport Hotel September 21-22, 2008.

The whole experience was lovely!
Check in was fast and courteous.
I had a package shipped to the hotel prior to my arrival, and it was tracked on the computer, and delivered to me in a speedy fashion.

The hotel lobby is fantastic, covered in gold decorations. A beautiful fountian with gold fish was surrounded by lots of comfy seating areas. The whole lower level smells of the huge flower arrangements and the flower shop across from the Main Desk.

We had a double queen room which was on a corner. The beds were huge with sumptious bedding!! There were pull out steps under each bed to get up in them! (yes they were that tall!) Beautiful walk in shower with a huge soaking tub adjacent.

Fluffy towels and very nice bath robes were available.
Shampoo, conditioner and shower soap available on a dispenser on the wall in the shower and by the tub.

An in room safe, nice tv and sitting area. There was a door bell that was unexpected (especially when it rang early in the am... still dont know what that was about) Complimentary paper in the morning.

The room service menu was very resonable. Did not use the resturant at all. The bar and grill was nice in the evening... as was the bar across the street at the Towers.

Beds were turned down for us when we returned to the room with a nice little peice of peanut brittle. The beds were completely comfortable...I could have stayed in it all day! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!

The desk personal were friendly as were the doorman, and parking attendant. We did not use the valet parking or the town car service, but they were available to us. A bunch of us ended up visiting in the parking area after last call (smokers and others who were reluctant to have a nice evening end) and the door man and attendants did not pressure us to leave despite the late hour.

The hotel is convienently located downtown... close to the Performing Arts Center, the Convention Center and much more.

Would def stay again!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank MamarazziLori
Reviewed September 27, 2008

I absolutely loved staying at the hotel. Just Beautiful! It was clean, the beds were comfortable, and the room service was great. We never felt like we had to rush out of our room. Its a beautiful hotel and I loved the history behind it. How sad it would have been if the hotel had been destroyed as the beauty in it is unbelievable. For all the people who put so much time into restoring it, they can be proud of what they accomplished as they not only saved a beautiful building but gave back a part of history for everyone to enjoy. I loved the fact that we could look around the whole hotel and see the beauty in it. I big plus was check out time. Unlike most hotels we didn't have to be out of room till 2:00 pm and for a small fee could make it later. It was so nice not to have to get up in the morning and feel like you had to run out the door. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and again just loved looking at the Beauty in this hotel. Can't wait to stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business