“Just lovely”

GreenLeadersGold level
Denver
“Just lovely”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed for a month on business in one of their "standard" rooms that was above and beyond other hotel's superior rooms. Everything you need and things you did not know you wanted are provided in the midst of historic luxury. A real gem in this city I always thought of as a college town. The staff is friendly, helpful and professional. I felt "at home" and treated well. I had most of my in house meals at the bar or by room service and all were excellent. Thank you for a wonderful time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We originally booked at the tower not knowing the difference, but we got into the historic hotel with no problem.

Our rooms were beautiful, and the beds were very clean and comfortable.

We enjoyed looking over the artwork and decor, and especially enjoyed our visit with John, the beefeater. He has been there through the history of the hotel, and is a wealth of information.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank SubPSI
Chelan, Washington
Reviewed April 5, 2013

There are two components of the name Davenport Hotel in Spokane, one the towers and the other one the original edifice. I stayed on the towers.

I had send a special request of additional pillows when I booked thru their website.

Arriving to the hotel , I avail of their valet parking service. Greeting and formal recognition of a guest is very important in valet service which I found on this case I found it lacking and gives me a "meh" first impression on the hotel.

Check in was fast and efficient. There was a significant activity on the lobby on that day and where the restaurant was also located. In spite of this, everything was in order and the chaos manageable. However, it is not a big lobby and if one wants a larger area to lounge around, I would suggest book a room in the Original Davenport building where the public area seemed to be more spacious and had a historical feel to it. There is a limited number of elevator so it could take awhile to get everybody to their destination especially on the days like that where the hotel is busy.

The safari themed permeates the whole hotel and into the room I stayed. Personally , it just not my cup of tea but I just had to state that I had stayed on safari themed accommodations before , this could had been executed better. However , the decor is consistent and other guests might appreciate it. If one felt the disconnection between the decor and the Spokane area which how I felt, maybe the most plausible explanation would be based on the function balls of the old davenport hotel where the Elizabethan, Venetian, Italian etc, themed illustrates. It is consistent with an attempt to provide a different environment to the guest. The towers had a pool facility at the basement which unfortunately, I did not use.

The room was spacious and the bed was nicely dressed and very comfortable. My request for extra pillow was executed. The bed linens were nice to touch. The chaise lounge was very comfortable. There was a writing desk and magazines are provided regarding the area. WiFi was complimentary but bottled water is not. There was complimentary cookies .The room is quiet and boost a view of downtown Spokane.

The shower is roomy and it could fit more than five people. I am surprised to see a hotel in this presentation to have wall canister for their liquid/semi solid toiletries. Totally unexpected. I carry my own toiletries but I did notice that the conditioner canister was empty. The water closet, shower and the lavatory are clean. Small touches such as folded monogrammed towel on the shower was nice.

I would suggest to visit the lobby of the old Davenport Hotel and browse the old photos and objects of the bygone era. It was fascinating and nostalgic. The lay out of the lobby reminds me of Fairmont Seattle.

During the check out I did try to call the front desk early to prepare the bill and have the car ready. No one answered. I did speak to the front desk during the check out about this and she was courteous and apologetic. To end it all let just say that it strengthened my position that the hotel's valet service needs coaching.

Being included in the Conde Nast johansens recommendation and just the name itself , I do carry certain expectations. This was a very comfortable hotel and I would recommend it to anyone who will be visiting Spokane Area but its service is inconsistent but overall it was a nice stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I spent a night in the tower last Friday...it was a jam-packed city due to volleyball, let alone a packed hotel! Still, the elevator wait was always short, and we didn't hear our neighbors the entire time.
Having stayed here once before in 2008 I expected a great experience, and it was just as I expected! My fiancé was impressed and of course the location is fantastic, I showed him what I love about downtown Spokane.

• Stayed March 2013
Lacey
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed in a King Deluxe room at the tower, and the room was very nice, and comfortable, but it is a little pricey. The restaurant in the lobby is pretty resonable as far as price goes. I did expect it to be priceier because of the hotel. Although we did not get room service looking at the price of that, it was not too bad either, no $20.00 for a bowl of cereal. Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

My family decided to throw me a birthday party here and to be honest it was the greatest day of my life. I was no longer stupid an sick, I was a princess in a castle. The hotel is gorgeous and all of the ballrooms are open all the time so one can look inside and dance if one feels so obliged. This was everything I wanted and needed. I felt like a princess in the Hall of Doges and for the staff to turn on the lights and let me spin around and take it in. Well bless them. There is nothin better.

• Stayed November 2012
Okanogan, WA
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in one of the suites for a weekend. The hotel is beautiful and we enjoyed waking around the building looking at the ballrooms and historic photos. The suite was large and nicely appointed, and the bed was very comfortable. Staying here is more expensive than many other area hotels, so you have to balance if the ambiance is worth the additional cost. For us it is probably worth it for special occasions or trips without the kids (which for us, are special occasions).

• Stayed March 2013