“spring the extra to stay in the Hotel not the tower”

The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary
“spring the extra to stay in the Hotel not the tower”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

we stayed in The Davenport Hotel in October 2012. Service could not have been better, the room was amazing - and so large. The shower in the bathroom was bigger than the whole bathroom in the hotel we stayed in on our way home! We did the self guided tour, which shows you the history of the "old" hotel. The only downside to the whole experience was that there is no coffee machine in the room (but Starbucks is ion the lobby) and the only water available is at a $2 a bottle - so bring in your own supply! We found that the service in the Tower was very much the "norm" the staff did not appear to go the extra mile as they did in the hotel. Oh, and don't forget to take advantage of the free use of the town car service during the day - going shopping using a limo gives me another tick off my bucket list!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have a better view and generally seem to be larger
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stay in the old Hotel not the Tower so my comments are on the old place...which is absolutely stunning. Service is beyond reproach from the front desk to the valet and the wait staff in the restaurants. Even the young lady at the Starbucks lobby coffee shop is more charming than any Seattle barrista I've met.

Rooms are splendid - I got the third night free deal and booked a King Suite - worth every penny.

Room Tip: If your budget allows a King Suite in the old Hotel ask for #1213
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I booked a king deluxe room in the Davenport Tower for Valentine's Day. We were given Room no. 2053. The room is very spacious and overlooks the lower South Hill.

The front desk staff was genuinely friendly and helpful, and although the Safari Room (the on-site restaurant) was fully-booked, they offered to make reservations at other restaurants for us.

The room is appointed with a king-sized bed that was a little too soft for us. We like a firmer mattress. We had the sensation that we were sinking into the mattress, and when I awoke the next morning, my back was a little stiff. There is a large walk-in shower, but no tub. There is no coffee maker either, nor a fridge or microwave. These omissions were not a big deal for us as they are a matter of preference and we had no need for them. There is a laptop-sized room safe.

There were two bottles of water provided, but they were at a cost of $2.00 a piece. I should think that the hotel could provide complimentary bottles instead. Down the hall, there is a soda machine, but the beverages were $2.25. Really? This is Spokane, not NYC. Room service is provided by the Safari Room, but we didn't take advantage of it.

Overall, our stay was enjoyable, with one exception. Our room had two adjoining rooms on either side of us. In one room, the residents were exceptionally loud until late at night, but we were able to hear them through the shared door, even when their voices were not raised. When you book your stay, ask for accommodations that don't share an adjoining room.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Colbert, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We are so fortunate to live in the Pacific Northwest and only 30 minutes from the Davenport Hotel! We decided to book the Champagne Brunch/Overnight Stay with check in on a Sunday and President's Day the following Monday. Who knew that this would turn out to be, not only the best vacation ever, but also the most cost-effective? For only $178, including hotel tax, we had a spectacular Sunday champagne brunch experience, took in a move at the Riverfront Mall AMC only two blocks away, had dinner at PF Chang's right across from the mall, and enjoyed a luxurious room at the historic grand Davenport Hotel. The room was squeaky clean, amenities were five-star, bed was like heaven, and the shampoo and shower gel smelled divine! With a Starbuck's in the lobby and checkout at noon, we enjoyed the experience right up to the last minute, had a late breakfast on the way home at Molly's Cafe, a fantastic local diner, and we were home by 2:00 pm to unpack the little overnight bag. No costly plane fare, no shakedowns or inspections at the airport, no filling the gas tank and wasting hundreds of dollars in travel expenses. We supported our local economy and had, honestly, the best vacation we have ever had. If I could give this experience 10 stars, I would. Thank you Louie Davenport.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Susie S
Cranbrook, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We recently went on a love connection wknd away. We stayed in the tower in a big suite, ate an amazing tenderloin at the safari room and basically enjoyed an indulgent time for an incredibly reasonable amount of money. My husband shopped at the mens wear store (a very nice one) and I enjoyed pottery barn. Both in the mall just down the street. We love this hotel, I highly recommend!

• Stayed February 2013
Kamloops BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We booked into the Tower Suite, the room was large and quiet but unfortunately no bath tubs are available in the Tower. The room had fridge and microwave but no dishes of any kind and no coffee machine. I assume this is so you have to go down to purchase Starbucks in the lobby! Very inconvenient. The lobby was very noisy in the evening so we went across the street to the Davenport Hotel to eat and we will booh into the Hotel rather than the Tower.

Room Tip: Book rooms on the higher floors to avoid the street noise.
Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I recently stayed at the Towers. First of all I would like to compliment the valet service it was great! From dropping off my car, to using the shuttle service they provided, I really feel like it was top notch. As for the rest of my experience, I wish I could say the same. When I called and booked the room, I did some research, and found the best price was offered by the Davenports website, so I called and booked. During that conversation the receptionist asked me if I was with a group, so I could get a discount. I informed her that I was and had a code. She told me ok that was an acceptable code then quoted me the same rate as their website, so no discount was giving. This actually wasn't a big deal at the time. It turned into a problem when I checked in and tried to use two Davenport gift cards that I wanted to apply towards the room. I was informed, because I used a "discount" code, the gift cards could not be used, but if I wanted to pay the full rate I could use them. The rate at the time of check in was quite a bit more. I then told them that I didn't actually get a discount at the time of my booking according to the website. No luck. So there is my first complaint. My second complaint would be the noise level outside of the room. We stayed on the 8th floor so traffic noise wasnt a problem. That being said anyone walking by my room could be heard, whether they were talking or not. I've stayed at a motel 6 that was quiter than this room. All in all I was expecting a better experience for all the hype of this hotel. If I had to do it all over again I would stay out at Quest Casino which is a much nicer room for about the same "discounted" rate and take a cab downtown.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank T_Tyson509
FrontOfficeDirector, Manager at The Historic Davenport, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding the valet service and your observations of the noise issues you experienced. This feedback is greatly appreciated. In regards to group rates, there are many things taken into consideration. Most often, this discount is given in a higher level room type, and while this price may be available on our website, most often it is in a lower level room type. I apologize that the receptionist did not make you aware of the restrictions regarding certain gift cards and group rates. I empathize with the position you were put in, and please know that this situation will be used in training to help ensure future instances like these are not repeated, and more clarification given. Again, we do appreciate you visiting our hotel, and hope that in the future, you will indeed return.

Kind Regards ~