See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed in the Wakefield house, across from Odell house. Dale provided me with detailed email directions about how to get in once I arrived and told me about wifi.

I didn't expect a little apartment! The suite had a bedroom, bathroom, sitting room and kitchen! It was decorated with beautiful antiques. The kitchen was very well stocked with pots, pans, utensils etc. the washroom was stocked with organic lavender shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion.

The bed was very comfortable and I got a restful sleep while there. The suite was very clean and smelled like essential oils.

I walked downtown from Wakefield house. It was about a 20 minute walk through a lovely neighborhood. I loved the location of Wakefield house.

Thinking back, my one concern was low water pressure in the shower. Otherwise no complaints.

I would most definitely stay here again and recommend it to family and friends.

Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
forbzilla, Owner at The Odell House, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and to help us with your feedback.

Seeing a possible problem with the shower, I went and checked the Wakefield River View unit where this guest stayed and found the flow limiter on the shower head needed to be cleared. (This happens sometimes after water has been shut off in the house for plumbing updates). The historic lounging tubs are a great thing in old houses, the ancient pipes not so great! Thanks for your help in making things better for the next guest--safe travels--Dale

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The place is nice and neat. The apartment we stayed is well decorated with paintings and sculptures. Decent decor.
Plenty of utensils in the kitchen, making it very convenient to cook. The bathroom is very comfortable, with high-quality towels and toiletries.
This place is quite close to downtown. Many facilities are within walking distance. We actually walked to the nearby grocery store several times!
The front porch adds to the attraction of this place. If it had been summer times, I would've definitely spent more time sitting there and relaxing!

Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank mxue
Reviewed September 16, 2012

i just spent the weekend in this lovely home - my location fell trhough for a shower and i was freaking out - not only did they give me an amazing apartment that i could cook , live in with my puppy but they offered me the art gallery and the front porch - amazing

this is the best location, people that run the location etc that i have ever stayed in in spokane let alone anywhere in washington -- i would stay there again in a second and can't wait to go back :) thank you for saving my butt and being the most amazing host and hostess ever!

Room tip: you can ask for the pet apartment / family apartment you can even sleep in the gallery!!!
Date of stay: September 2012
1  Thank Charla P
forbzilla, Owner at The Odell House, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you!
It was our complete pleasure to help with this weekend stay and event--a very charming baby shower for a friend at distance. Your communications were perfect and that made it easy for us to do as asked--which is our goal! (Notably, you used the same unit described as "just okay" in a previous post and did not find the original claw foot tub bathroom at all frightening--brave soul! :)

We're very happy you (and your very lovely French Bulldog companion) found it to your liking =:~
Hope to see you two again soon. With warm regards, Dale and Rick

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I wrote a review back in 2010 of my stay at the Odell House property, and since then I've visited several more times and stayed in nearly every unit that is available. It continues to be a pleasant, tidy, and well-maintained place for either long or short term visits (my stays have ranged in length between a week and a month). I'd still rate it as an excellent spot for families, lovers of antique homes, and travelers on a budget alike.

Reading the most recent review ("Canadian Travel Bugs") frankly I was offended on behalf of the owner. It sounds like what these people really wanted was to stay at a chain hotel where the appliances are thrown away every six weeks. Not only would that experience have probably cost them double what it cost to stay in Apt. C (which is one of the less fancy units in the house, but still very nice) they would not have gotten the same standard of class and decor, or the degree of environmental consciousness, that is found at the Odell House. Having stayed in C myself in the past, their concerns about a shower curtain that "could fall down at any time" were simply laughable.

It is just a fact that historic homes converted to be traveler-friendly require some creative solutions to update the plumbing, electricity, give free internet access, etc. Also, had they brought their concerns up to the management during their stay, I am sure they could have been satisfied as Dale and Rick have always been extremely accommodating to me whenever any minor issue arose.

If someone wants a bland hotel experience there are many places that will cater to that, but when visiting Spokane I would say it is a missed opportunity if you do not take advantage of the great historic homes that are available, especially given their extremely competitive rates. The Odell House remains my top choice whenever travels bring me to the Spokane area.

Date of stay: July 2012
2  Thank nfb_10
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed in Apartment C for a week. From reading past reviews, we had high expectations and were disappointed. The positives: great location and Dale was good to work with. The negatives: the kitchen wasn't very clean (utensils were dirty, freezer had a package of ripped open elk meat and the coffee pot looked like it hadn't been cleaned out in awhile). The bathroom was abit scary. The shower rod/curtain was hung up by a rope that looked like it was going to fall down at any momment and the bathroom floor was carpeted. The bedroom backs onto the back stairway, so if anyone comes through the back door to go up to the upper rooms or laundry room you hear everything. One evening at 11:00 someone was either doing laundry or running a bath and it woke us up. Thank goodness this didn't happen every night or we would have checked out sooner.

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank CanadianTravelBugs
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

While it is always hard to get a "less than perfect" review we try to listen very carefully to our guests--both when they are here and after the fact.
This family with children stayed in an apartment we have designated for such use--ground floor, with crib and high chair available, and an effort at not too many fussy or breakable items. So it is not the fanciest unit, and yes has a carpeted bathroom with large claw foot tub that has an upper rail to give it a shower--the original versions never have this, and it is tricky to engineer.
Because there is carpet in several baths, we have a $500 professional grade carpet cleaning machine, and the carpets are cleaned regularly--in fact right before they arrived. We install them with a "Healthier Choice" non permeable carpet pads. But yes, I agree completely, carpet is not the best solution for a bath and the guest might not know the trouble we take over it.
About lack of cleaning. All the appliances are cleaned regularly, after each guest every time.
We are a "green" hotel. I don't know about elk meat (!) but we purposely keep a number of items in the refrigerators and freezers. Why? Because they do not run efficiently when they are empty. Typically these things are freezer packs and bottles filled with water. On that note we air dry laundry, use organic soaps, not detergents. We don't use cleaning solvents, limit an "all new" look. A brand new coffee maker is easy to buy. Is this the right thing to do? Maybe. More money to China. In this case we probably will.

The house was built in 1898. It is old. That is the point. I am disappointed that our guests did not communicate with me, as I saw them many time, asking if everything was to their liking, but glad they stayed and hope we will see them again with another unit choice. Best wishes, Dale