“Celebrating 25th Wedding Annivesary and we loved it”

Oxford Suites Downtown Spokane
Ranked #1 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
fruitvale, bc
“Celebrating 25th Wedding Annivesary and we loved it”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and we decided to visit Spokane WA and stay at the Oxford Suites. I advised the staff of our anniversary when I called to make the reservation. To our delight, our stay for our anniversary was a very memorable one. We were treated like royalty. We received an upgraded room with a beautiful view of the river. We were also treated to treats upon arrival into our room and when we came back from our dinner out to celebrate. The staff at the Bistro, in particular, Leslie were so friendly and welcoming. We plan to stay here again and would recommend this wonderful clean and friendly hotel to anyone who would like a special occasion to be made even more special by the fantastic caring staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jan C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
california
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My son going to college and I wanted to stay close by to his school. What a great room: quiet, spacious, clean and just relaxing. I highly recommend this place. The location is fantastic since
when I venture into the city to do some sight seeing almost all was close by.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My family comes to Spokane about 4 times a year for leisure travel and came across this hotel last year and have chosen to stay here ever since then. First things first, you simply cannot beat the location. We are an active family and love that we can just walk/bike/rollerblade right from the front steps of the hotel out to Riverfront Park and miles of paths. Also, for the shopper side of me, you can walk to some great shopping and are only about 10 minutes from the mall. Second, the staff at breakfast are simply amazing and the lady who serves the hot food is outstanding. Third, the housekeeping staff are worth their weight in gold because the rooms are some of the cleanest I've seen. Oh and some other greats are the free parking, spacious rooms, fridge and microwave in the room and a wonderful sitting area just outside the pool overlooking the river.

However, after my last few stays here (which set the bar remarkably high), this stay didn't go as smooth as the rest. First - my check in wasn't as great as the times before. Being Canadian, when hotels in the States do their "pre auth" on my credit card, it puts a hold on my card which normally comes off in about 10 days (if you're lucky). The last 2 times I was here, the gentlemen at check in allowed me to pay for 100% of the room at check in as I was a return guest to spare me the hassle of the pre auth hold. This time at check in, I just assumed that would be the case again and when I told the check in agent that this was what I wanted to do I was told it wasn't possible and that all check ins require the pre auth. The agent proceeded to run my card 3 times as she said it kept declining which it didn't- there's now 3 $500 pre auths on my card totalling $1500. Luckily for me I have a high enough card limit to allow a $1500 hold plus still make some purchases, but for some that is a huge amount of money to be on hold. Plus, if the last 2 times I was a good enough guest to pay for the room in full at check in why is it this time I'm not trustworthy enough to warrant this treatment again??? Plus I've already reserved my room for my upcoming trips in August and November, which you can see in the system so you know I'm planning on giving you future business so to me that's not the greatest customer treatment.

Second, and the most annoying was the Friday night we were here, some sports teams arrived causing two huge issues. First, they all showed up to the evening reception and ate all the snacks and monopolized the ONE server down there. My family with 2 small children were down there and ordered food from the menu for supper. The poor server (and I'm assuming the one cook) were so bogged down that 45 minutes later my husband told the server we were leaving and to call our room when the food was ready. Overall the food took over an hour and not only did we not get anything comped, but when my husband asked if he could have a couple of cokes for the room (we'd already used our evening reception tickets) they were going to charge him for the drinks!!!! Clearly the bistro area needs to have some kinks worked out. In the meantime, we will eat at other establishments in the area. The other annoying thing was that after these sports teams finished devouring their snacks, they headed on up to their rooms above us and proceeded to LOUDLY stomp on the floor overhead. Lights on our ceiling rattling loud. I went to front desk to raise my concerns given the lateness of the hour (about 10:40) and heard someone else complaining about it. Not sure how they thought the situation was handled because at midnight I went up there myself and asked them to quiet down.

Also, if your party is larger than 2, don't make the mistake I did and book the King Suite. It is advertised clear as day that the room is one King bed and one sofa sleeper. Why I thought a hotel sofa sleeper would be more comfortable than the one we all used to sleep on at grandma's place I don't know. Because it is just as uncomfortable as grandma's. The king bed is quite awesome though and they give you lots of pillows.

Overall, we will give the benefit of the doubt (perhaps some new staff needing some more training? Staff having a bad day?) and stay here in the future. It is a clean hotel, very friendly, family friendly, and in a gorgeous area. I hope these minor kinks can be worked out because I'd really like to keep this hotel as my preferred choice.

3 Thank LeahMcT
Silverthorne, Colorado
Reviewed May 14, 2013

You can walk everywhere from this hotel to see the falls, eat and shop. The rooms are nice, but get one with a higher number to get the best views. The breakfast is plentiful, the free beer at happy hour welcome, and the elevators and entry nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cheribree2016
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed for 2 days during the Bloomsday race, May 3rd and 4th 2013. I was hestitant to book because we were not a part of the race. While the hotel was full we never had to wait in line during the free hot breakfast or the nightly reception. The rooms were very clean and accomodating with microwave and refrigerator. Free parking for one vehicle per room. They also have a pool, hot tub, dry and steam sauna's. We were close enough to explore the heart of downtown on foot. Time didn't allow us to explore the park, it was a lovely view from our room.
There is a Perkins Resturant right down the road and a Chili's across the bridge.
All in all I will book this hotel again next time we are in Spokane.

Room Tip: There are balcony suites which have a view of the river. Our room 524 had no balcony but did have a...
1 Thank wolfcall2
Lloydminster
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The room was clean and well appointed, the bed was comfortable, the staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly. The hot breakfast bar was included, as well as two free drinks and snacks every evening. The location is excellent, close to shopping and restaurants. Parking is free. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because of my one pet peeve...the doors slam shut, and being there on a busy weekend was quite noisy with doors slamming up and down the hallway.

That being said, We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Selah
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Traveled to Spokane for a small mini conference and stayed at the Oxford Suites downtown on the river. What a beautiful hotel! The service was excellent from the front desk staff to the restaurant staff. Well maintained hotel and exceptionally clean! Will absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business