“Great dinner & movie spot: Good food, made from scratch, vegan friendly.”

Saranac Public House
Ranked #54 of 901 Restaurants in Spokane
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Perfect combination: close parking, great food, moderate prices, and off the same lobby as the Magic Lantern Theater! We recently got tickets to a film festival movie, so I scoped out where we could park and then eat at a nearby restaurant before the movie. On-street parking was pretty full, but we parked only a block away (east, across Division St.). Our first time to Saranac and we want to go back! The meals are prepared from scratch and are very tasty and attractive. The menu was somewhat limited but offered a variety of dishes. I had a special, Shrimp Fettucine with Alfredo Sauce . It was quite attractive and flavorful. I had a little trouble digesting the rich sauce and had to remind myself to choose a lower fat meal next time. My friend had Meatloaf (with a scoop of mashed potatoes and some vegies) and said it was very good. We couldn't believe the beautiful presentation. Who thought meat loaf could look so elegant? The brown gravy was sparingly spooned over the meat (not smothered!). I enjoyed a glass of wine. My dinner was $13 and the meat loaf was $11. Lots of vegan dishes, some gluten-free. We walked out the door, across the lobby, and up the short staircase to see our movie! Perfect evening, all in one spot. We'll definitely do this again.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had heard lots of great comments about Saranac Public House and was looking forward to eating there for the first time! Met some friends in the bar for dinner while we waited for a gathering with other friends at another eatery later in the evening. I ordered the quesadillas and it was good. Nothing special by any means. I’m hoping that on my next visit I’ll be blowin’ away. I’ll make sure I order something more adventurous than quesadillas...

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have been here a few times. The food and drinks are good. The location is an easy walk from convention center area hotels. (5-10 minutes tops from the Courtyard Marriott)

The meatloaf was a little salty for my taste the last time I was there, but the time before was spot on. The burger with a side of mac and cheese is a nice meal on a winter night. Good vibe and look. I will be back.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I decided to see if we could find a restaurant within walking distance of WSU's Spokane Campus. We were delighted to find Saranac - it is comfortable relaxing restaurant with friendly staff and simple but excellent food. Echoing the other reviewers, staff takes pride in making sure you have a great dining experience.

The onion and goat flatbread and the vegan mac & cheese were delicious.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

My wife and I were out with friends for Spokane’s First Friday gallery event. We usually have dinner after the last gallery we visit and this time our last stop was Saranac Art Projects, located next door to the Saranac Public House and Magic Lantern Theater.

Sometimes it’s hard to find a restaurant we can all enjoy as most of the group are omnivores, some are vegetarians and one can have no dairy so they eat vegan. The Saranac Public House covered all of the bases very well with multiple menu choices for all. In addition to a good selection of food, they have a good mix of micro brews on tap as well as a full bar.

All in all, a great casual dining experience for all ages and pallet persuasions.