“Not Great Quality Food!”
Review of Hong Kong Buffet

Hong Kong Buffet
Ranked #602 of 900 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stopped for lunch and there are definitely plenty of food options available. We were not impressed with the quality as there was plenty of oil in most dishes and didn't have a fresh taste. If you want to get filled up and don't care how you feel after eating it is okay. The entire atmosphere doesn't give the appearance of cleanliness and hygiene being important to the management. The rest rooms were definitely in need of cleaning along with most of the other public areas. We won't need to go back as there are plenty of dining options in Spokane that offer a much better experience.

4  Thank JERRYG448

Reviewed January 2, 2014

This updates a previous review.

This restaurant used to be one of my favorite places to eat in the area.
I eat there about twice a month.

Potential Patrons should be aware that there are two tiers of pricing here. Lunches on week ends and holidays are $12.99 for essentially the same food which is served the rest of the week for $7.99.

I am concerned by a distinct downward trend in the overall quality of the food served here.
This is especially evident during the Expensive "Seafood Buffets". I ate lunch there on New Years Day. I had several different types of the seafood. The baked salmon and cheese appeared to have been slathered with mayonnaise before it was cooked. The salmon had an odd and unpleasant taste. I have eaten, and enjoyed, frog's legs at other restaurant. The ones they served yesterday have a strong "gamey" taste. They seemed well past their prime before they were cooked,
The crayfish had been cooked whole with being cleaned. The deep fried shrimp had a half dollar size wad of raw dough surrounding them. Only the outside of the wad had been cooked.

They proudly boast about their Alaskan king crab and their Lobster. The crab legs were the smallest size I have ever seen ....roughly the size of a pencil. And, I did see a bin on the steam table which was marked "lobster" - but the chunks looked unlike and lobster I have ever seen.
It appeared that whole lobsters were stripped of the tails, and anything else that is normally eaten, then the bits that were left over - legs, upper abdomen, claws....were chopped into smaller pieces and steamed.

Several of the items on the salad bar were well past their prime, they had an off "acidic" flavor.

I can no longer recommend this restaurant - they need to substantially improve the freshness and the quality of the items they serve.

6  Thank Kelly B
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

This Thanksgiving night, so we had few options. This is our first time, what a disappointment. The lobster, crab, were older than I am. I was not impressed as the vegetables were tired and far overcooked. The sushi and pho were very nice, and made to order. Sadly, even the ice cream is freezer burnt. We lived in Hong Kong and Singapore but really is a far cry from even average mall Chinese food. Find an alternative. I'd rate it a C-

3  Thank DavidPlate
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were travelling through Spokane and had a coupon for this buffet. Weren't sure what to expect but we were very pleased and enjoyed a wonderful lunch. It looked much more authentic than most buffets I've seen and the food was varied and very tasty. Many different variations with well spiced flavours. The sushi was fabulous, many selections. The won ton soup was very different using whole wheat won tons, yummy. Lots of great veggie selections and too many choices to try. Everything was fresh, clean, well appointed and delicious. The hostess was very helpful and our server good about clearing the table. I really appreciated that.We talked to some locals who eat there often. We were very impressed with the food quality and variety of selections.The manager came by to talk to customers which always helps in good customer service. Well done Hong Kong.

1  Thank Luaulady495
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We went for lunch and the price was excellent, under $8 per adult. There was plenty to choose from. Both Asian and American style foods available at salad bar, hot food and dessert, so I guess picky kids could still find something they would like.
I liked that they had California rolls in the buffet. The fried rice, a pork dish, dumplings, avocado spicy rolls and this sticky peanut dessert were my favs. I will definitely go back. We have tried just about every Asian restaurant in Spokane Valley and this is by far the best. The rest are horrible to say the least, and it gets old having to go downtown to PF Changs to get decent Asian food. I highly recommend.