“From the decor` to the food, everything here is excellent!”
Review of Das Stein Haus

Das Stein Haus
Ranked #94 of 926 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My fiance and I were incredibly pleased with our experience here! We'd been to Leavenworth on vacation and loved the old world style and flavors. Das Stein Haus is as good, if not better than some of the places we'd dined at in Leavenworth. While I missed the adorable serving staff in their precious costumes (we ate in the restaurant side and not the bar side), I was thrilled to find that everyone from our server, to those refilling water etc, were efficient, incredibly friendly and very helpful!

Often, when one receives recommendations from the staff, it's because the chef has said they need to "push the special" or "get rid of the last of the____", not so here! Our server Monica was well acquainted with the menu and discussed her favorites with us. As a result we ended up with the split pea soup, salad with balsamic vinaigrette, pork medallions with apple brandy sauce and Jaeger Schnitzel.

Where to begin? Everything was cooked to perfection and presented nicely. The split pea soup was the best I have ever had at a restaurant! Everything there is homemade and the chef has brought his own authentic German recipes with him.

The vinaigrette was a refreshing change from what we're used to. Most places over do the oil but this was a lovely tart, flavorful dressing that complimented the greens beautifully. My favorite was the Jaeger Schnitzel, although it only ever so slightly edged out the split pea soup. The sauce on the Jaeger Schnitzel was rich and delicious and was the perfect accompaniment to the mushrooms, onions and breaded pork!

I'd love to see a dinner sized bowl of the soup on the menu! Monica named off some of their other soups and we'll be going back just for soup and strudel very soon!

I would highly recommend getting one of the authentic dishes as your side. My fiance chose the rice pilaf and while it was all right, it was nowhere near as delicious as the spaetzle. As a matter of fact after he tried my spaetzle, he liked it so well that Monica got him a side order!

This is a great place for either couples or families. The portions are so generous both my fiance and I ended up taking some home. The prices are reasonable for the quality and portions and the service can't be beat!

1  Thank Donna H
George S, Owner at Das Stein Haus, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Our apologies for the late response, Donna. We're just starting to sift through our reviews, and we wanted to thank you for yours. Impressing our guests with delicious, authentic German food and friendly service is our mission, and it sounds like we hit the mark when you and your husband came in. We appreciate the good words—Monica will be thrilled to hear them, too—and hope to see you again soon. We have an order of Jaeger Schnitzel with your name on it!

Best wishes,

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Although the food was good, I thought the service left a lot to be desired. And to top it off, the waitress accidentally charged us $4811.17 for our meal on my debit card. Even though she immediately voided the transaction, as soon as the debit card was run the first time, the bank automatically puts a hold on that amount. Since we didn't have that much money in our checking account, it triggered a Overdraft protection withdrawal from savings along with overdraft fees. Although the owner was able to get the mess taken care of, she offered no apology or anything to make it right and I still had to call the bank to take care of the overdraft fee. So if you go there, pay by cash or use your credit card!

1  Thank John G

Sorry for getting back to you so late, John—we haven't been active on TripAdvisor until recently. We know how much of a hassle the debit card mistake must have been for you, and we'd hoped that our efforts to correct the problem were sufficient. If they weren't, though, we'd like to apologize again. Hopefully, you'll trust that this incident was a fluke and decide to return. We'd love another chance to put our best foot forward.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I can't say enough good about finding this resturaunt. I served in Germany many years ago and now I can get some of the best foods I've ever tasted.

1  Thank Nwwolverine
George S, Owner at Das Stein Haus, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Sorry for the late response—we're just getting active on TripAdvisor, and we wanted to thank you for the kind words. It's wonderful to hear you enjoy our food so much. Coming from someone who has lived in Germany, that's a real compliment. We appreciate your taking the time to write a review and hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Odd strip mall location, generic interior with touches of Germany, so not your authentic brauhaus feel. But the food makes up for it. The schnitzel and spaetzle were excellent along with the fried potatoes. Very nice portions. Since I have been to Germany twice and frequent German restaurants when I travel, i feel good saying this is a very good find. It takes a lot for me to rank a restaurant as excellent, but the very good ranking comes highly recommended

2  Thank Eureka1965

Glad you and your family enjoyed dining with us! Coming from a German food aficionado, your compliments really mean a lot. The next time that Spaetzle and Schnitzel craving hits, we'd love to have you back.

Cheers,

Reviewed July 11, 2012

As part of a party twelve, I made my first trip to Das Stein Haus. The decor is delightful, not too kitsch-y. The food was adequate. I had the Chicken Marsala and like the spaetzle it was on the gluey side. The sauerkraut was excessively salty. The worst part, though, was the service. It was obvious that we were stress inducing for the waitress. You'd think a group of well-behaved senior citizens would be welcomed but at the end this same waitress told us we should have made reservations two weeks in advance so they could have enough staff on hand. I didnt appreciate having our group being chided for only making reservations a few days in advance. I'd be reluctant to go back.

1  Thank Shamally
George S, Owner at Das Stein Haus, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

We're sorry to hear your experience with us last year was disappointing. No customer should ever be chided for anything, especially not for making reservations less than a week in advance. Even though it's been awhile, we plan to bring up the matter with our staff to assure no server makes any similar mistakes in the future.

If you'd like to discuss your experience further, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at (509) 326-2214.

George and Sarah, Steinhouse Family

Been to Das Stein Haus? Share your experiences!