“Second time here, this time with my parents. All were pleased.”
Review of Das Stein Haus

Das Stein Haus
Ranked #86 of 895 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Odd strip mall location, generic interior with touches of Germany, so not your authentic brauhaus feel. But the food makes up for it. The schnitzel and spaetzle were excellent along with the fried potatoes. Very nice portions. Since I have been to Germany twice and frequent German restaurants when I travel, i feel good saying this is a very good find. It takes a lot for me to rank a restaurant as excellent, but the very good ranking comes highly recommended

2  Thank Eureka1965
George S, Owner at Das Stein Haus, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Glad you and your family enjoyed dining with us! Coming from a German food aficionado, your compliments really mean a lot. The next time that Spaetzle and Schnitzel craving hits, we'd love to have you back.

Cheers,

George and Sarah, Steinhouse Family

There are newer reviews for Das Stein Haus

Reviewed July 11, 2012

As part of a party twelve, I made my first trip to Das Stein Haus. The decor is delightful, not too kitsch-y. The food was adequate. I had the Chicken Marsala and like the spaetzle it was on the gluey side. The sauerkraut was excessively salty. The worst part, though, was the service. It was obvious that we were stress inducing for the waitress. You'd think a group of well-behaved senior citizens would be welcomed but at the end this same waitress told us we should have made reservations two weeks in advance so they could have enough staff on hand. I didnt appreciate having our group being chided for only making reservations a few days in advance. I'd be reluctant to go back.

1  Thank Shamally
George S, Owner at Das Stein Haus, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

We're sorry to hear your experience with us last year was disappointing. No customer should ever be chided for anything, especially not for making reservations less than a week in advance. Even though it's been awhile, we plan to bring up the matter with our staff to assure no server makes any similar mistakes in the future.

If you'd like to discuss your experience further, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at (509) 326-2214.

All the best,

George and Sarah, Steinhouse Family

Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is the kind of food you would get if you ate at a family restaurant in Germany...I have no doubt. At least it reminds me of the meals I used to eat at the homes of friends of German descent. The menu is varied and has enough choices to make everybody happy. I settled on the jaeger schnitzle with spaetzle and red cabbage. It was very good. Because I was driving some distance in unfamiliar territory, I chose not drink the beer, but the menu looked delicious. The atmosphere includes German music, German castle posters and homey kitsch. The service was good and it was a great meal. I would eat here again.

1  Thank sejcook
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I am starting to get a better taste for German places. This one is Pretty good, not top shelve.
I had Jaeger Schnitzel with Spatzle and Red Cabbage. The Schnitzel was good but not wonderful. The cabbage was a bit sweeter than others I have had. The spatzel was moist and tasted good. The server seemed a bit standoffish but competent though I did wait a bit longer than I would have expected with a light crowd. She got distracted by a larger table with an obviously “Regular customer” toward the end. I am not a beer drinker but they did have a much nicer beer list compared to the wine list very light on German wines. The prices were lower than other places I have been and they offered a small and regular portion.
All in all I would go back but it is a long drive on surface streets from Downtown Spokane – 10 to 15 Min from the HI express.

1  Thank rockboyontheroad
Reviewed April 13, 2012

It's ok; I keep hoping the food will be more like what I had in Germany. I like that you can get soup or salad with your meal. They don't seem to serve a lot of butter with the bread, but they did bring out more when asked. On the last visit, it seemed as though the bread was closer to "homemade". In the past, the bread resembled what is served in a cafeteria or low end restaurant (a generic roll). The portions are large, but the schnitzel seems to be a little greasy. My husband always orders steak, and he said it's ok. The servers are usually friendly, but there seems to be one server (perhaps owner) who is a little cool and doesn't seem to really have strong feeling as to whether you return or not. I hope the restaurant stays in business as it seems to be a neighborhood feature.

1  Thank Anon58759

Been to Das Stein Haus? Share your experiences!