“Absolutely disgusting”

Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
British Columbia
“Absolutely disgusting”
Reviewed April 30, 2009

We recently stayed at the Red Lion on the River Inn in Spokane, WA. One word to summarize? Disgusting. Absolutely filthy. For $140 per night we were greeted with yellow stains on the linens that had obviously not seen detergent in quite some time, whole cheerios laying on the carpet beside the center bed table, as well as a puddle of urine on the base of the toilet! Besides disgusting, the hotel itself was a huge disappointment. The parking lot was unsecure and made us feel very unsafe. The carpets were soiled, the doors into our room were banged up metal, and the ceilings were heavy textured with that popcorn looking material that is most likely made with asbestos. I have never written a review of a hotel before, but if this review helps one other traveler from the disappointment and disgust we experienced...it will have been well worth my time writing!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank citydweller32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Troy, Montana
Reviewed November 23, 2008

We had a reservation at the HIE across the street and stayed about five minutes due to busloads of teenagers staying there. We were tired and hoped that the Red Lion would have a room for us.
We were greeted warmly and offered a king room for $99 - we took it, grateful to have a place to stay for the night.
The property is older, but has been redone and it is clear that the staff is passionate about service. We were given clear information on how to get to our room. We walked in and were delighted with what we found. We had a balcony with a view of the river, a clean, large comfortable room, complete with a counter, coffee pot, mini fridge... The bathroom was older, but it was spotless and included some upscale soaps - it really is the little things that matter sometimes.
The bed was exceptionally comfortable and the hotel was just about silent - they were almost full, but the design and layout of the rooms left absolutely no noise at all - I slept like a baby and I typically struggle to sleep in hotels.
At checkout, I thanked the staff for a wonderful stay and mentioned that I was now a raving fan. I will be moving a reservation that I had at another property (HIE) across the street to this hotel and I will be requesting the same room.

• Liked — Service, service, service
  • Disliked — I have no complaints...
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Jeanie W
Castlegar
Reviewed September 8, 2008

Some of the reviews for this hotel that have been posted over the past year left me a bit concerned when I found out that it was what I received for my winning priceline.com bid. Turns out I was worried about nothing. From check in to check out my wife and I had a wonderful stay. Prior to our arrival, I emailed the front manager Les Hammons with a special request and he was kind enough to return my email and accomodate my request without any problems. The room was quite comfortable; the bed especially so!!! Bathroom was nice as well. What could have been better? We found out upon check in that the hot tub was closed for renos which was slightly disappointing but truth is we likely wouldn't have used it this trip anyways -- but for some guests this I'm sure was unwelcome news. Hotels should in my opinion be upfront with such things as this; this aside, we will definitely consider staying here again!

• Liked — ultra comfy bed; awesome
  • Disliked — hot tub was closed for renos
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RogerCarlson
British Columbia
Reviewed August 23, 2008

Red Lion River Inn was a huge disappointment.

The airport shuttle took 45 minutes to pick me up, and once I arrived at the front desk, I was given a friendly greeting, but no mention or apology for the very late shuttle.

Though I was noticeably tired from the long day of travel and late arrival, the clerk assigned me to Room #337, apparently the absolutely furthest room from check-in possible (literally around a five minute walk with heavy suitcases in the middle of the night!). I know the hotel was not full, so why the inconvenience? The room itself was subpar as well, with a lumpy mattress and a poor paint job in the bathroom.

I tried to contact management (Les Hammons), but received NO response.

Will be avoiding Red Lion River Inn in the future.

• Liked — Location and river proximity
  • Disliked — Incosiderate staff and uncomfortable room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Balcovpas
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We were placed on the top floor, and only after loading our stroller with our several heavy bags did we discover there is NO ELEVATOR in this hotel. The hotel staff was extremely rude when we asked about an elevator, acting as though we were the crazy ones for thinking they might have mentioned the absence thereof when we checked in. Granted, we only had to schlep our stuff up a flight of stairs, but for travelers with small children or lots of heavy bags, the lack of elevator is a real problem!! Worse than that, the bathroom was absolutely disgustingly FILTHY on check-in--used bandaid (!), part of a disposable razor, a moth, and HAIR HAIR HAIR all over the floor., old coffee dried in the sink, weird stains on the towels! Hotel staff reluctantly offered to "clean the room" at 10:30pm when I had a 5 am flight to catch--no thanks, just clean it right the first time! Rooms are small, old, and overpriced. Food prices at the hotel are obscene! And did I mention NO ELEVATOR? This is NOT a three star hotel! Location is okay, but there are far nicer hotels in this price range closer to the downtown area. Avoid this one like the plague--yuck!

• Liked — Free wifi
  • Disliked — FILTHY room, unresponsive staff, NO ELEVATOR!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank clspencebr
California
Reviewed June 17, 2008

The river view from the dining room was gorgeous. The breakfasts were great, but the dinners were only okay. The room was very nice with granite counters in the bathroom and stone shower enclosures. There were 2 queen sized beds in a clean spacious room with another view of the river, with people strolling and jogging on the walkway as soon as the sun rose (at 4am!). The inn is located an easy stroll from the breath taking Spokane Falls. It was centrally located, near everything I wanted to visit, I definitely plan to stay again. (points taken off for the adequate, but not spectacular food served for dinner).

• Liked — the views
  • Disliked — no elevator to the second floor rooms, dinners so so
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank NowAndAgainTravel
hartnettm
Reviewed June 6, 2008

I booked my reservation on-line to get a cheaper deal ($118 for a king) than if I called over the phone. The Red Lion confirmation that I printed said my reservation was completely prepaid for the special Internet rate. I had e-mailed the hotel several days before my check-in date asking them to verify my reservation. I never received an e-mail back.
When I checked it, the front desk staff was inexperienced, which didn't bother me, I am in the hotel business and know what it is like to be new, but the reservation wasn't prepaid. Not a big deal as long as my card only got charged once.
We walked into our room and everything appeared to be a fine. The sheets and pillowcases were clean so that was great. The room wasn't vacuumed very well. There was candy and strands of hair on the floor. The office-type chair, lamps, and headboard looked as if it hadn't been dusted in months. There wasn't a min-fridge or microwave in the room even though they had a cabinet for them. I have stayed at other hotels for cheaper and had a fridge and microwave in the room. The TV in the room was only a 20-inch TV. Pretty small. When I took a shower the next morning the water pressure was great, but went from hot to cold several times. I enjoyed tThe shampoos and lotions,they were Bath and Body Works. We heard housekeeper start work on other rooms at 7:30am. Pretty early to be going to rooms.
I had a workshop to go to the next morning and asked the front desk where I need to go, not a huge deal, but they told me the wrong conference room.
There wasn't even a breakfast of any sort that came with the room. I felt like I over paid for my experience.

• Liked — It was close to downtown
  • Disliked — The value
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business