“Friendly, efficient and clean”
Review of Red Lion River Inn

Red Lion River Inn
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I selected this hotel because I needed a nice-ish place that accepts pets and had easy access to I-90 and it had good reviews. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. A really lovely hotel and a super staff. When we arrived a giant group of high school athletes was filling the lobby and we were resigned to a wait, but we were in our room in under 15 minutes! Amazing coordination by the front desk staff I must say. They seem to have the balance between groups/conferences and individual guests worked out very well - I think there were two conferences there plus the huge group of athletes (based on signs I saw in front of conference rooms) and I never once felt like we were getting less attention from the staff because of it.

The room was as described, about what I expect from a mid-price hotel. Not super fancy but nice beds, enough room to move and a clean bathroom. My only issue was that it smelled perfume-y when we first got there. We opened the window and the nice breeze off the river took case of that quick, so I think it was just that they had cleaned right before we got there and not from over-reliance on air fresheners that plagues so many places. We ended up spending most of our waking time elsewhere in the hotel - pool, laundry, restaurant/lounge - so the basicness of the room wasn't an issue. It was very quiet - we overlooked the tennis court and the river and there was no traffic noise even with the window open all night.

The maintenance/facilities (?) guy who brought us our fridge was super helpful explaining the layout of the complex, and the coin-op laundry was a lifesaver and so clean. The only thing I'd say as a small criticism was that the restaurant didn't seem fully staffed either time we went there, and we had to wait for tables even though there were plenty of empty ones. In either case it wasn't long so no biggy, and the servers once we were seated were very kind though somewhat harried-seeming. For dinner we just waited at the bar and they were nice about adding those drinks to the food bill so we only had one bill. This may have been because it was mid-week, but in any case reservations would be helpful if you want to eat fast.

Our stay was at the end of a week-long road trip of staying in Motel 6's across the continent, and we hoped for a relaxing fun final night and this place definitely delivered! It's not a high-end resort or business travel kind of place, but I'm not really a high-end kind of person. The hotel was clean, well run and had a lot of fun stuff to do between swimming, walking along the river, tennis (I don't play), a fitness center (didn't bother but it looked nice) and a laundry room (what does it say about me that I consider this entertainment?). I will gladly return if I come to the area again.

Tips:
*Not all rooms have fridges, but they will bring one to you if you ask, no problem.
*Make a reservation for breakfast if you are in a hurry in the morning
*The "roaring start breakfast" is a buffet (this was a little unclear to us ahead of time) which is great for time management in the morning but the selection is a bit small - scrambled eggs, sausage/bacon, oatmeal, fruit, cereal, bagels/toast plus juice. I thought it was all tasty and fresh, but if you want eggs to order or something they won't be included in the free breakfast (they were adding it as a special to the room when I reserved)
*when we came it had been a rainy day and both pools were locked, but we asked at the desk and one got opened just for us! Moral of the story, with this and the fridge thing is to just ask the staff at the Red Lion River Inn and they'll make it work.
*Based on previous reviews, make sure you have the right hotel! I booked by phone and got a rate as good as any I saw on third-party sites (plus free breakfast!) and both Red Lions in Spokane use the same reservation line, so be very clear that you tell them the River Inn is the one you want.

Room Tip: The hotel is a connected set of 2-story buildings, no elevators and a loooong walk from one end to t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank yoA_12
There are newer reviews for Red Lion River Inn

Reviewed June 28, 2012

when we booked our rooms we were under the impression(from photos and description of the property) that we were staying at Red Lion at the park.this place is a dump. the pool was closed(for whatever reason we aren't sure),the hot tub was more of a luke warm tub(yuck),there was no refrigerator or microwave and the river was far enough away that you could barely see it.Bed was awfully uncomfortable too. When we mentioned that we thought we were staying at the other property across the road they said "happens all the time". needless to say we were not plzed with this misrepresented,$145 w/o tax dump that we ended up in for the night!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed at the Red lion along the River walk due to business. The reception was helpful and the restaurant staff was very welcoming. The rooms were worn and could use some updating!
I was on the parking lot side, I was worried about noise but no problems. The River walk is very nice. Too bad the rooms don't reflect the surroundings.

Room Tip: Ask for a Riverwalk room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is my 2nd stay at a Red Lion property in Spokane as a Grad Student attending Gonzaga University. As a frequent business traveler it meets my needs but is not as "fresh" as it possibly could be. Overall the room is acceptable but not fancy by any means and is beginning to show its age. Be aware there are no elevators so if you have a lot of luggage make sure you request the 1st floor. The employees are the best part of the hotel and go far above the norm to make sure their guests are happy. They are very responsive and helpful. That, in and of itself, makes this hotel a good one.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage make sure you get a room on the first floor as there are no elevators.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sherry Y
Reviewed June 24, 2012

The Red Lion River Inn wasn't awful; it just wasn't great. The place is old and the layout is sprawling. We had people who looked like vagrants sitting in a field next to the parking lot. Because the last building is so far from the front desk, the staff had no idea that they were there.

On the plus side: breakfast was excellent and the staff was super nice.

On the minus side: the neighborhood is a little bit sketchy and every time we had to get something taken care of, I had to call the front desk twice. To give them credit, when I put that in a survey after my trip, I got an apology from the general manager and extra points in my frequent guest program. None of the pools was open and we had to go up the road to another Red Lion for our kids to swim.

Our room was clean, but the place could use an update. As I said, there's nothing really wrong with the hotel, but I would look for other options first.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about security, ask for a room closer to the front desk.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Some of the Red Lion Community certainly make my wife, Cathy, and me feel welcome at this lovely, "traditional", family-oriented, hospitality venue by the banks of the Spokane River (and near Gonzaga University and its idyllic, riverside campus) when we visit Spokane, WA on a regular basis.

Among them are Jim, in Maintenance/custodial; Betty G, Nick C., Cindy, AJ, and Tommy in Dining: and Rachel and the current staff -- Miekah (sp.?), Janelle, Nichole--at Front Desk.

The bar is a great place to unwind after a day's driving, and Ripples Restaurant is a "sine-qua-non" in "Inland Northwest Dining". The breakfast buffet includes (for the fortunate) a lovely view of the Spokane River.

Five roundtrip, x-country auto trips in five years...and this is our favorite inn for "unwinding" (except, perhaps, the Red Lion Inn in Lenox, Massachusetts). And, always, it is the employees ("staff") who make it so!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank papagrande45
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I just spent 8 nights at the Red Lion River Inn for a class at a local University. The hotel staff was great - from the front desk to engineering to the restaurant. The rooms are not fancy, but clean and very functional. Some have refrigerators, so extended stays can be comfortable. My room faced the parking lot, but those that face the river have great views. The hotel is within walking distance of downtown and River Park. Compared to the other more expensive hotels in the area, the Red Lion River Inn is a great choice for extended stays where all the basics are covered.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo