“Weekend getaway”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cranbrook
“Weekend getaway”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I wanted to just get away for a weekend together. This hotel offers a great location and all of the things you need are very close. When we checked into the hotel, we parked the vehicle and didn't use it for the full 2 days we were there. A nice place to go for sure!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brent A, Front Office Manager at Hotel RL by Red Lion Spokane at the Park, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind review! We are so very happy you enjoyed your get away at our hotel. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Brent A.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Minden, Nevada
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Resort like property on the park. Plenty of walking paths available in the park. Nice modern room. Very nice pool and workout room. Also, close to downtown. Breakfast Buffett somewhat overpriced. Nice lounge overlooking the pool serving specialty drinks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review regarding your stay with us. The location is ideal and close to all downtown attractions as you mentioned. We value all guest comments and we can't wait to welcome you back.

Warm Regards,

seattle
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have been going to the Red Lion in Spokane for several years now and we love it! The slide and the pool are the main attraction plus we usually stay here while we are hitting Silverwood and camping so it's a nice break!! We will definitely return! We love strolling through the park next door and having a snocone and some pizza. We always have a large trailer in tow so we appreciate the parking available at the Group Health next door!

Two so so things:
1. We liked the old slide better. This curvy one is rough on the hips and legs! :)
2. A breakfast included in the cost of the hotel would make it perfect for us.

Room Tip: We love when we score a room next to the pool patio!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Than you for the review! I am very pleased your family chose our hotel during your vacation. We hope to welcome you back real soon.

Terrace, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had booked our room to view the July 4th fireworks 10 months in advance at the Red Lion. We travel to Spokane yearly during the July 4th holiday. This was my first stay at the Red Lion.

When booking we asked for the best view of the fireworks...this was noted in our reservation. We arrived and found our room not completely made up, pillows without covers etc. Called the front desk and received a pillow cover....that we had to put on (no big deal).
The worst of our experience was on July 4th. We went to spend time with family for dinner that day, when we came back there was no parking (we were offered overflow parking across the street). We did find parking in RLH Corporate parking and when I went to the front desk to let them know we had parked there I was told that was at my own risk of being towed. When I questioned why non guests we allowed to park there I was assured that only guests can park in their lot. We went to the pool later and there was no place to sit, but that is expected on July 4th when everyone is there for the same reason. We went to our room to get ready to enjoy the fireworks and were very disappointed to find that there was an overhang and we could see the fireworks go up...but that was about it. Had we known this wasn't a good place to view them we would have stayed outside! After the fireworks and finished I went out to see if I could find a parking place and low and behold there were parking spots! Of course this went with all the people leaving with their lawn chairs.

I spoke to the desk clerk when we were checking out and have written a letter to Red Lion Hotels...all there response was "we are sorry we couldn't accomodate your requests, we hope you will choose us in the future". Not likely...and as someone else pointed out all this with their "We want to be #1 on Trip Advisor", next year we'll stay at #2 on Trip Advisor the Oxford Suites...which it right next to the Red Lion.

1 Thank MrsMatt65
Brent A, Front Office Manager at Hotel RL by Red Lion Spokane at the Park, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you so very much for providing us with your feedback. I wanted to take the time to persoanlly apologize that you didn't get to enjoy your stay with us. Your comments will be forwarded to the respected departments as we look to improve in all areas.

Portland
Reviewed July 9, 2013

After reading the positive reviews I was really optimistic about staying here. My opinion changed not long after I got there.

First night: we arrived after midnight with sleepy kids and after 5 hours of driving. The welcome was promising, the staff was courteous and the room looked spotless… in the surface.

When we finally had the kids in their pajamas and were ready to put them to bed, we noticed that both beds had hairs and crumbs, also the sheets were not even fitted. So the beds were made (kind of) but the sheets were not changed, so then we began looking around and realized that the hand towels were also neatly placed but with food all over.

The front desk apologized and immediately told me that they were going to give me another room; two minutes later they told me that they did not have the same room available but that they could upgrade me to a suite with one queen bed and provide two extra beds. Well the upgrade was really a downgrade since my kids were now sleeping on air mattresses, instead of regular beds. After all this, it was already 2:30 in the morning. And the suite was not that great, there was not a single feature that was better than the regular room, just the floor plan was different.

We woke up next day and the bed where my 3 year old was sleeping was completely deflated. They brought a different one for the second night, and it deflated also; finally, the last night they provided a roll-out bed that was finally available. I’m not mentioning what happens when a 3 year old wakes up at the middle of the night saying that his bed is not working, but anyone that has kids can imagine the scene. So, two nights of sleep were ruined.

At the end of the stay, we also got a bill for $9 per day for parking! We were never told that we were responsible for that, and there is no other place to park close by.

The good: the staff was always helpful and courteous; the bed and pillows were really comfortable; the pool was clean and the slide fun; the location is really good.

The bad: The restaurant food was absolutely nasty; the housekeeping was really deficient; the surprise parking charges were a disappointment.

I would not stay there again; with what this place charges, the experience should be excellent and it was not.

6 Thank Luizgm
I would like to thank you for your review! All feedback, good or bad, assists us in making our guests stay more comfortable. I would like to truly apologize for the lack of cleanliness in your room. This is definitely not the type of stay we want our guests to have! We value you as our guest, and look forward to having you with us again soon.

Seattle
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Red Lion at the Park July 4th -6th we have been making this our 4th of July destination for the past several years. This year upon arrival at the hotel on the 4th there was quite a long line of guests waiting to check in and there were only 2 front desk clerks working. After a 20 min. wait we finally are at the front desk and the young lady that helped us was really no help at all. She was short tempered and quite rude. We had reserved a specific room and the room was not ready. We were informed the housekeeper was not quite finished cleaning the room so we should just go have lunch and come back later. I asked if she could check us in and hold the keys at the front desk so we would not have to wait again in a long check in line but she brushed us off saying just go do something for awhile.(I need to note that right next to this unfriendly front desk clerk was the sign requesting "make us #1 on Trip Advisor", not a good placement for this sign.
We left and returned an hour later had to again stand in a line that took 15 miins to reach the front desk, still no staff has been added, to be told no the room still wasn't ready but this time this same desk clerk decided she would check us in and hold the keys so we would not have to stand in line again but that SHE absolutely would NOT release the room keys until housekeeping had been down to tell her the room was ready. She assured us it would only be another 10 mins and she would wave us up to the desk when it was ready. We waited the 10 mins and noticed this young lady had left the front desk. Assuming she went on a break we waited some more when another 35 mins had passed we stood in line again and when we reached the front desk we were greeted cheerfully and when we asked about our keys the young lady looked it up and said oh yeah that room has been ready, here are your keys.

As we made our way to our room at the end of the hall on the 5th floor we noticed that although the carpet had been replaced in much of the hotel this hallway had been neglected. It was worn and quite dirty. Also the prevailing odor of dirty baby diapers was awful. We noticed in several areas along the hall that the wallpaper was torn and in need of repair or replacement.

Our room was fairly clean the telephone had not been wiped down and I don't know what was on it but I sure didn't want to use it and the TV didn't work. When we told the housekeeper that was working nearby she looked at us like we were nuts and said I guess you better call someone about that.

I was saddened to see that this is what has become to the Red Lion at the Park as it was one of my FAVORITE hotels in the Spokane area. I can honestly say that for the price one pays the value and service just isn't there anymore.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank MoBayGirl
Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We take all customer issues very seriously. I'm sorry to hear our front office staff did not handle your chek-in with professionalism. Please accept my apologies and I hope if you us a chance to make it up to you on your next stay.

Olympia, Washington
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel. The first was about ten years ago. The location is great. On the river with dining room overlook. The staff is friendly and helpful. The food is average. The hotel is becoming well worn compared to other hotels in this caliber of rating. Carpets are well trodden and grey looking. Shampoo would not hurt!
Our discount room was facing the car park and gardens on the rear side of the hotel. There was a very long walk through an endless corridor to get from the main facilities to the room.. It was clean, apart from mold in the grouting of the bathroom tiles. (Tilex with Clorox fixes that folks). The bathroom fan didn't work so the bathroom easily filled with steam. The fan on the heat/AC in the bedroom was so loud and rattling that we couldn't stand it and slept with the window open instead. However, there was plenty of noise in the morning to awaken us.
The riverside park is delightful for a stroll or as a means to reach downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the river not the car park.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business