“below par”

Hotel RL by Red Lion Spokane at the Park
Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I am very disappointed with our stay at the Red Lion at the Park. It was way too expensive for what you get. The room was tiny and nothing worth remembering. The free wireless that they advertise is only free for 30 minutes. You have to pay 9 dollars to park in their lot even though you pay over 100 dollars to stay in their hotel. The only nice feature is how close it is to downtown. I had no desire to stay and hang out in this hotel. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012
Dominic L, General Manager at Hotel RL by Red Lion Spokane at the Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

I appreciate your comments. We strive very hard to provide a high level of service and deliver a quality product. We realize that in this case we failed to do so, please accept my sincere apology. Regarding our room size, are room size ranges between 300-350 Square feet, which is a typical size of any hotel room. Additionally, we understand that we are going to recieve a few concerns on our recently added parking fee. We have noticed a big improvement since its implementation, particularly with regards to less car vandalism, theft, and simply having plenty of parking available for our guests. You will notice that many of our competitor hotels have implemented a parking fee as well. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you will change your mind regarding staying at our hotel again when visiting Spokane.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband and I had a great experience at the Red Lion at the Park in Spokane. We loved the pool. Out room was fine, 7th floor, nice bed, great bathroom, very clean. Great staff except the lounge. It was very busy, the drinks were very expensive and the prices high. I would absolutley return for sure. We did not use the restaurant, we did buy a coffee in the morning. The location is perfect right near the park and all the shopping and restaurants..

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the feedback you provided regarding your recent stay at our hotel. It was very nice to hear that you had a great stay and that we were able to meet your expectations. On behalf of myself and my staff, it was our pleasure to serve you, and we look forward to having you return to The Red Lion Hotel in the future.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We booked our trip over three months in advance and expected to be given decent accommodations. The room the two of us were put in would have been tight even for a single traveler. We were charged the same for our room that others attending our event were charged even though they had a double room with ample space. We were put in a "handicap" room with no bathtub. There was only one chair in the room and it was broken. The toilet didn't always work properly. Directions from the staff at the front desk were often wrong and not very accommodating. House cleaning staff was, for the most part, always coming to clean our room as we were getting ready for evening activities. Only on the last day was the room cleaned before 3 p.m.

Room Tip: Be very specific about what you want. It must be spelled out in spades for these people.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pat S

I am very sorry about the challenges that you experienced during your last stay at the Red Lion Hotel at the Park. It was disappointing for me to read the survey, but I do appreciate your feedback and letting us know of the challenges so we are able to address them. Please be assured that your comments are important and they have been discussed with all concerned.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

The outdoor pool is great! More seating needs to be added, but we went during a few conferences at a very busy time. They do serve you out at the pool and the buckets of beer are a pretty good price. The rooms are good, our air conditioner could barely keep up but we called and got that fixed right away. There is not a continental breakfast, but for $10 I was told it was a good breakfast. I never had it. This place is lacking a convienence store or easy food pickup area, but overall was very good. WE LOVED the location. We were able to walk almost anywhere including the great park for the kids, Riverfront Park. There is a Carousel there, a sprinkler area, playgrounds, an awesome wagon with a slide and fun art around the park too. Everything that we drove to was within 10 minutes.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank samjam801

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your most recent stay at the Red Lion Hotel at the Park. As an organization, we work very hard to deliver a positive experience to our guests, and it’s most helpful to learn when we’ve accomplished this. Regarding your request about a gift shop, I would invite you to try our poolside splash cafe that has all sorts of pre-maid sandwiches, salads, snacks and much more! Again, thank you so much for your feedback and I hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Great setting, very friendly staff. Close to downtown. Complimentary breakfast was great and rate was well priced. Will stay here again.

John H.,
Cranbrook BC

Room Tip: Room on 12th floor overlooking the river and park offers super view
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

I am so glad your stay was amazing!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Red Lion At the Park for the best part of a week. We were there for a convention and I'm glad we benefited from the reduced rates negotiated as we would have been even more disappointed otherwise.

The setting is great, right next to the river so you can walk out of the grounds and stroll round the Riverside Park straight away. It also has a nice outside pool and a rather bare indoors one. The reception staff were welcoming and very helpfully pointed us in the direction of various things to do and places to eat whilst we were there. The room was fine, spacious, well appointed and clean, with coffe making facilities, fridge and freezer and a full range of cable TV (but the air conditioning was rather noisy). There was free WiFi throughout, which was rather slow, or the option to upgrade to a faster speed for extra. The decor throughout was rather 1950's and 1960's dull browns and greens, which makes the corridors rather gloomy and made us think that the hotel was overdue a refurbishment, but we then realised this was recently done. But so far, nothing to really turn you off, I agree.

Now to the things that really did annoy us. The shuttle service didn't turn up at the airport to meet our flight as it was meant to, and it was rarely available to take us anywhere local as advertised. The buffet breakfast was a huge disappointment: we arrived at 8:00 to find powdered egg scrambled eggs that had been sitting there for so long they were like cardboard, and there was no other choice. Dinner that evening in the Lounge was even worse: the place was relatively empty but we had to wait 45 minutes for a pulled pork sandwich and a quesadilla, and when they arrived, the pulled pork was cold (the quesadilla was just about hot enough to eat, but no more). The waitress did not seem overly concerned about the delay or the state that the food arrived in. We did go for the a la carte breakfast, just to see if it was better: an improvement, but if you walk across to the DoubleTree at the Convention Centre you get a much better breakfast and much better service.

After our early experiences, we avoided eating at The Red Lion again, though we did try to have a drink there later on in the week. It took 10 minutes for a beer and a cranberry juice to arrive (again, the bar was not overly busy). When waiter after waiter walked past our table and ignored our empty glasses, we decided to give it up as a bad job and leave. Except we couldn't get our check, because our waitress was nowhere to be found and no one else was willing or able to get us our bill and take our money - what?! When our waitress did appear, she apologised for not being around but she had been fixing some fancy desserts. This confirmed our suspicions from the first evening we tried to eat there: there is no chef in the kitchen in the evenings. The food must be prepared earlier in the day and then left to be reheated by whoever is around, hence the results.

Apologies for going into so much detail about the disappointments we experienced during our stay, but we didn't really expect to encounter this at a hotel of this reputation (and with its corporate headquarters right next to it). We loved Spokane and look forward to going back, but I don't think we will be going back to the Red Lion, as we like to eat and drink where we're staying from time to time, and enjoy it!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool get the afternoon sun so they get quite warm. You also get the noise from the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your feedback. It was very disappointing for me to read your comments, but I do appreciate you letting me know the details, so that I can properly coach my team. Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings in service you experienced during your stay. One of the hardest things to read as a Manager is when our guests did not receive great customer service during their stay. As an organization we work very hard at delivering a positive experience and it’s most helpful to learn when we’ve come up short in meeting this objective; it helps us overcome issues for future guests. Your comments are very important and they will be discussed with my staff. I certainly hope you will consider staying with us again on a future visit to Spokane.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We spend Wednesday evening through Saturday morning in Spokane. We've never spent time in Spokane before. If you are thinking of visiting, this hotel is a great launching point for downtown shopping, bike riding along the river, walking through the River Front Park, heading out to eat in town...The location is fabulous! On the river, walking distance to all the above. From what I can tell we were at the scenic heart of Spokane and it was great. You have to experience the revitalized steam plant building: <http://www.steamplantspokane.com/> the interior design/architecture just blew my wife and I away. The food and beer(s) were delicious. Anyway, back to the Red Lion; the price was low for a place with a perfect location, very friendly staff, eager to serve. Nice lobby, convention facilities looked busy, the outdoor pool adds fun with the slide and with drinks and food served there, you have to plant yourself down for a while. No fine dining but they sure have the setting for it in an area called The Windows that cantilevers out over the river - gorgeous! So for the price we paid, I don't see how you could get any better. The whole time my wife kept saying "I'm just having so much fun, I love this (mini) vacation".

Room Tip: There are rooms all around the pool that looked great for families with kids who are safe swimmers...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family