“HOTEL RUBY SPOKANE OVERNIGHT A GEM OF A PLACE”
Review of Hotel Ruby

Hotel Ruby
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
spokane
“HOTEL RUBY SPOKANE OVERNIGHT A GEM OF A PLACE”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I brought my granddaughter to stay the night before going to the Lilac Festival tea at the Davenport. The staff was so nice, enjoyed Angel, she was so nice, & helped us get a late check out so that after the tea we could come back to our room & change out of our princess dresses...The rooms were clean, loved the comfort of the beds, esp; those sheets. loved the orig. art in & outside of the Hotel. the personal letter greeting us from housekeeping was a nice touch.My grand daughter wrote her a note cack. the continental breakfast was nice, enjoyed the hot waffle. We just went accross the street for our event. thank you for a great experience.Kimberly Frechette

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I booked the Hotel Ruby the day before I started a cross-country road trip. I rolled in late afternoon Monday, March 26th and went for my room. Everything seemed alright--decent location, modern furnishings, working Wi-Fi, nice TV.

It wasn't until I went to lie down around 9pm that things went downhill. I turned down the covers and noticed a few pieces of someone else's hair on the sheets. I have a closely buzzed head, so there is no way it was mine. I had overlooked a piece or two of hair in the shower surround, but I figured (hoped, actually) this was an oversight and the sheets had not been changed from the previous guest.

I called the front desk and asked for someone to change the bedding. Reception guy said housekeeping was not around at this hour, but that I could switch to the room next door. I said okay and went down to get the key.

Upon entering the room next door I immediately checked the bed. Inexplicably, it happened AGAIN! Several pieces of hair, obviously not my own, on the white bed sheet. I had had enough and went to the desk.

I sarcastically said "Wanna try again?", fully intending to leave. The man did not believe my story. I explained exactly what the issue was, several bits of hair, not my own, on the sheets. He said--and this is where it went from frustration at the housekeeping to a whole other issue regarding customer service--"You're always going to find that; it's never going to be 100 percent".

!?!?!?!

I said "If those are the standards at this hotel, I am out of here and am not paying for anything". He said I would not be charged, adding "No worries" as I went to gather my things and leave.

I told another guest as he left the check-in area to check his bed; hopefully he did!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Christopher N
Helena MT
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Ruby on a Thursday evening toward the end of March. Having read the previous reviews I expected a nice stay at a nice price. Right twice!

I left my medication when we left on Friday morning. When we returned home the following Tuesday I had a call from the Ruby. After some miscommunication and crossed emails I received a call from Angel who was both pleasant and professional. I offered to pay to have my meds forwarded, but she declined and they showed up FedEx the next day.

Nice having secure parking. Tight, yes, it's downtown! If you don't know how to park your vehicle in a tight spot, there are lots nearby.

Nice little cozy lounge adjacent. Personable bartenders and cosmopolitan atmosphere.

Okay, Ruby is not five stars, but pleasant and professional staff, clean rooms and exceptional service make it worth another stay. You want five star, go to the hotel and bar up the street and pay a lot more for perhaps a bit more ambiance.

Me, I'm going to the Ruby.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, United States
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Although we live close by, my friend and I felt like it was a vacation staying at this hotel. We loved the artwork displayed in and outside the buidling. We stayed in the hospotality suite. The staff was very friendly, the clerk who checked us in was upbeat and hospitable.
The rooms are remoded, but the walls are a little thin, we could hear the train pass by. We couldnt use the kitchen because "the sink was under maintenance", as we were told. So we had to explore downtown spokane.
Some tips if you decide to stay at Ruby. Ask the clerk to be upgraded to the hospitality suite or ask for a room away from the railroad tracks. The parking is first come first serve, you may have to park in the lot a block away.
We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it over the big chain hotels.

Room Tip: ask for the hospitality suite, ans away from the railroad tracks
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed here for a few days at the end of march and for the most part was disappointed by what we got.
Good...
Central location, really friendly ex marine bartender, secure parking, maids left notes to make it feel personal , our second maid was amazing and knew how to clean a sink make a bed and take out the trash, the art was cute and the lights on the rails cute
Bad....
Elevator stank of pee and puke. Drunk people even in the middle of the day were stumbling up and down the stairs and walk ways, not nearly enough parking for people, bathroom looked like it hadn't been redone very well paint had ran and dried along with some foam stuff down the door.
The stairs were super narrow and dangerous with the snow and rain.
first maid (d something).... Didn't clean the bathroom left trash and mess all over, through the blankets in our bed and gave half hearted attempt at making it and left garbage on the floor.

Im glad that we didn't spend very much time there or I probably would have left early, its cute and theyve the start of something good but unless they control the drunks and get better maids I don't see me ever going back. It wasn't worth what I paid for.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank meagan r
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Very urban, industrial chic - our room looked exactly like the picture. Fun, modern art throughout. The staff was friendy and accomodating. As expected, our room was smallish, but comfortable and clean. The only negative was our room (217) had a noticable old building mold odor that we didn't notice until the door was shut for the night. It was good for the price, but I would ask for another room if returning.

We went to the Bing Crosby Theater a block down the street for a concert and had a light dinner at the Sapphire Lounge before the show and then a night cap afterwards.

The lounge is very artsy and fun, but they are limited in their libations. The bartender was a bit put out when I asked for a "sweet drink" and offered a "trust-me-I-have-a-great-drink-for-you". It turned out to be a Red Bell Pepper Martini that was not only un-sweet, it had a funky vegetable taste that was not pleasant to my palate. They do not have "Tini's" except the basic cosmo and that was made on the sour side. They have only a few beers and when we visited no sweet wines at all. (Sensing a theme?)

We had two appetizers before the show - a baked artichoke dip that was WONDERFUL - creamy and full of rich artichoke flavors and cheese (Fontina?) paired with crisp toasted bread for dipping.

The other was a "proscuitto flat bread" that wasn't flat at all and would be more appropriately named "FAT bread". It was basically regular pizza dough with thick hunks of proscuitto ham, slabs of provolone and capers - a pizza without sauce. The happy hour price of $4 was a good deal and it was tasty enough, but it was not what we were expecting when we ordered flat bread. Between the two items, it was the equivalent of a dinner.

Overall our experience was fun and enjoyable and we would recommend it!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
British Columbia
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I'll start by saying what this hotel is not. It is not a fancy 5 star hotel, it doesn't have valet service, concierges, pools, or gyms. What this " is " is a clean, comfortable, nicely renovated hotel , small and well located, with a funky little bar and parking to boot. Room wasn't super big, but the bed was nice and comfy and I heard no outside noise. The staff were extremely friendly from the front desk through to Steve in the lounge. Close to the Bing Crosby theatre and some nice restaurants and pubs. Would not hesitate to stay here again if was looking for something in downtown Spokane. Great value.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo