“Some Good, Some Bad”

Quality Inn Downtown 4th Avenue
Ranked #8 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
Reviewed August 15, 2011

My wife and I recently took a weekend shopping trip to Spokane and decided we would use Hotwire to get our hotel for the first night of the weekend. The choice we ended up with was the Quality Inn on 4th Avenue at $76 dollars we thought we had a decent deal Hotwire claimed we saved 30% off the best advertised price. As it turns out I went to the hotel website and the price for the same room was $89 so the savings weren’t that great.

One other thing to note the hotel staff was not overly helpful when we called in to confirm our room type and mentioned that they don’t recommend people book with Hotwire? We arrived early Friday evening the area the hotel is located in is not the best just off of Division Street a stones throw for the main freeway. The lobby was nice and clean and the front desk staff very friendly. The outdoor pool area looked very clean and well lit. The hotel only has the one elevator and it is extremely overworked it seemed for a 5 floor hotel.

The hallways of the hotel are somewhat worn and show there age, the room was a very well appointed king with a large flat screen TV, fridge and microwave. Bathroom was clean and well stocked. The only downside of the room was the fact that it faced the freeway and that was really a big negative. Even with the window closed and both drapes pulled you could hear the semi trucks whiz by all night. Did not make for a very relaxing sleep at all.

The hot complimentary breakfast was a plus and defiantly has enough selection to keep everyone happy. If we choose to stay at this hotel again we would defiantly make sure we got a room that didn’t face the freeway.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 7, 2011

Great room for the value, professional staff during check-in, nice breakfast. HOWEVER, parking is limited after dark. Might get stuck parking on street. Went to evening wedding and came back to hotel after 11:00pm.... there was no parking in hotel lot. Would I stay here again ... YES, but only if I didn't have to go anywhere after the dinner hour.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

I can't say I didn't like it here, but I can't say I would ever return. We got a cheap rate on blind reservation site. The rooms are nice and seem to be in good shape. But the outside of the hotel is in need of attention. The room was left very clean, but there are serious mildew stains in the bathroom. This hotel is NOT downtown, despite its name. But it's not too far of a drive, either. Too few parking spots kept us hunting both evenings we got back. The staff at the front desk was very friendly, but there seemed to always be a cast of thousands stepping over each other and leaving customers at the desk to stand in line for long periods of time. The included breakfast was pretty weak, even for the low standards free hotel breakfasts have set. A sign in the bathroom sardonically warns guests that missing radios, towels, ironing boards and bedspreads will be charged to customers' accounts. Huh. It seems this hotel is either on the verge of stepping up or sliding back. For a heavily discounted rate, it's OK. If Id' paid rack rate, I'd be really upset.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

So I first I booked a room through hotwire for 2 people and they automatically put us in a room with a king bed. That asssumption is NOT a good one to make. Judy the front desk clerk said that is what happens when you book online and told me I needed to book through the hotel. I kindly let her know I wouldn't have gotten the $78 rate if I booked thorugh th hotel.Then the front desk clerk said they may have a two bed room for the next night so I was defused at that point. I went to my room, which was so tiny and was also stinky, 30 minutes later Judy calls me and lets me know it would be a $60 charge to change rooms the next day for the two bed room. I had to tell her if I was going to pay $138 dollars I wouldn't have gotten the $78 dollar room to begin with. If I would have paid $138 dollars I would have definately stayed somewhere else. I realize some of this is my own doing cause I was lookng for a deal but man what has happen to customer service and why is there a $60 between a king room and a double. So needless to say my 17 year old son and 9 year old daughter shared a king bed this weekend.....thanks Quality Inn. I don't think you were worth the 3 star rating $138 dollars or $78 dollars. : (

1  Thank angee112
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We were in Spokane for the Northwest Tandem Rally and we chose the Quality Inn because of the reviews, the price and that you don't have to pay for parking. Wow, for a budget hotel they do a darn good job. The room was nice, the breakfast was great. I was expecting packaged danishes and maybe some bruised apples, but they had eggs, pancakes, bacon, in addition to the usual cold items. It was very impressive.

It's located next to the freeway, but we didn't hear the noise. Also, the staff was great. Very friendly and accommodating. We would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My husband and I got married two weeks ago, but because his entire family was from out of town, I started looking for a good hotel to block wedding rooms over 6 months in advance. I wanted to make sure they were staying in a clean, affordable place that was close to downtown with amenities that would make them feel at home. The Quality Inn on 4th provided all of those things, and everyone enjoyed their stay.

Travis Tramp, the Business Development Manager who set up the wedding block for us, was especially helpful. He got us a greatly discounted rate, which is what initially put the Quality Inn at the top of my list. But beyond the great rate, he also provided great service. I had a million questions, and he always answered my e-mails and phone calls promptly, and was extremely patient and understanding to all of my concerns. He really set my mind at ease, knowing I had picked a great place for my future family to stay. My husband and I stayed there as well a few nights after the wedding, and Travis made sure that there was a special gift waiting for us when we checked into our room. If you're looking to book a block of rooms for an event in Spokane and affordablity and great service are what you're looking for, get in touch with Mr. Tramp at the Quality Inn on 4th St.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, there's a complimentary hot breakfast that is really tasty!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed at the Quality Inn downtown 4th ave in Spokane for 4 nights in July. The staff were friendly and check-in was smooth. The room was typical, a bit dated in decor, but it worked. We got a room with two queen beds after being told to do so from someone we knew who stayed there recently. All of the rooms with king-size beds are on the side by the freeway so if noise is an issue for you, get a room with two queens! Also, the elevator in the hotel is probably the slowest I have ever seen, and watch your step around the ice machines. They shoot ice onto the floor even when aren't using it.

At 8pm and at 8am, we could hear banging and scraping sounds. it turns out they were renovating the rooms directly above ours. So we went to the front desk and asked to have our room moved. They said they were able to move us to the other end of the hotel but when we came back to re-check-in we found out they were going to move us right above the renovations instead.

I decided I didn't want that room but they told me that was all they could do, so I made reservations at another resort and told them I wanted to check out. Right away they did an about face and found a room on the 5th floor away from the renovations and had it cleaned up in half an hour and ready to go. Kudos for that because I was ready to hit the road.

Speaking of road, they were also resurfacing the entire parking lot while we were there, so you couldn't park in half the lot for most of our stay.

Perhaps all these renovations just are bad luck and bad timing on our part. It is good to see they are taking care of maintenance at least!

Apart from that, the breakfast here is top notch. Probably the best free breakfast I had at any hotel in the area. Pancakes, sausages, scrambled eggs, coffee, cereal, toast, muffins, English muffins, fruit, yogurt... it was all there!

The outdoor pool looked nice, but we never got into it. It was often busy and full of kids so I didn't feel like relaxing around it. We also didn't try out the pub. We did eat at the restaurant the first night we were there and had the pizza. I wasn't expecting much but the pizza was really good! Not too thin, lots of toppings and a good size. We also had a $2 off a pizza coupon in our room.

So I would say the hotel got the job done though it was kind of dated, and cost more than other hotels in the area which I found nicer (with the exception of the breakfast)

PS: If you are on the second floor, you may notice a musty smell. They leave the fitness room door open and the area near the elevator smells like a gym locker. They should really leave the door closed...

Room Tip: If you want to be away from the freeway, book a room with two queen beds.