“Call to confirm online reservations -- indifferent service at front desk” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Davenport Lusso, Autograph Collection

The Davenport Lusso, Autograph Collection
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Call to confirm online reservations -- indifferent service at front desk”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2007

I just returned from a two-night stay in room 500, which I had booked online at the rate of $116/night. At the same time, I had also booked a three-night stay for my mother at the same rate. (As I write this, she is still checked into room 505.) The hotel itself is lovely and I would usually consider $116/night a bargain for what you get, but I encountered some serious problems at check in.

The short story is that the online reservation system does not tie directly into the hotel's computer system. Each online reservation must be entered by hand and the default stay is for one night. The front desk clerk said that the person doing the data entry often "tabs through" the page where you are supposed to enter the number of nights.

Both my reservation and my mother's reservation were entered incorrectly in the hotel's computer as one night stays (arriving Friday and leaving Saturday -- who does that?). The front desk clerk was able to correct my booking, but could make no assurances regarding my mom's room as the hotel was overbooked for Saturday night. After talking to three different people and showing them printouts of my online reservations, I went to bed that night thinking that my mom would have to move to the Davenport the next day. They could not even assure me that she would get the same rate at the Davenport.

I thought it was extremely lame that they would even suggest that my mom would have to vacate the room Saturday night in favor of someone else, just because they had mis-entered her reservation. Why not explain to the person arriving on Saturday that the hotel was overbooked? Why was this my problem and not the hotel's problem? I asked to speak to the manager but was told she wasn't there Friday night and that she didn't work weekends. It felt like no one was in charge. My husband noted that the attitude at the front desk was "indifferent".

Lessons learned:
1. Call to confirm online reservations.
2. ALWAYS bring a printout of your online reservation. It would have been my word against theirs without it, and even then they didn't seem too impressed.

I checked again on Saturday morning and found that my mom's room booking had miraculously been fixed. Did someone with authority finally look into this?

Good things:
Lovely rooms with nice amenities. Cookies a nice touch. Continental breakfast wonderful and server took good care of us.

Next time I'll probably try the Davenport, since my mom almost ended up there anyway.

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank KingConnie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2007

We've just returned from a 3 day stay in Spokane, June 7-10th at the Hotel Lusso.

Check-in:
Very smooth and quick. Mike, who was working behind the desk, was very polite and explained everything from the wine reception held in the afternoon to the breakfast served in the restaurant in the morning.

Room:
We booked and stayed in a queen room. I have a feeling this is the worst room in the hotel. Initially, we were a bit taken aback by the size, it was very small, but the bathroom was very large. It was also stuffy and had a strange smell. We tried to open the window (which had a view to a dark and dingy alley littered with beer kegs and garbage containers) but it was painted shut. We turned the knob on the heat control all the way down and left to go have dinner. We returned 3 hours later to find the room even more stuffy and smelling of a combination of fish and chlorine (not nice at all). This was not something that I could sleep through, it made my stomach turn. So I called down to the front desk, and Mike was able to move us into a new room (a King!) with no problems (and no extra cost).

[As a side, I think there were ventillation problems with the kitchens of the lounge and restaurant that caused the smell in our room.]

Our next room was SO much better. Large (huge!) and had two windows...one that actually opened! I don't think the air conditioning is all that great in this hotel, and for two of the three nights we slept with the window open (noisy...but slept through most of it).

For people who are sensitive to noise, you might want to avoid having a room that faces the street. We were on the 2nd floor above the Cavolino Lounge that plays music outside under their awning until after midnight. You're also across from a main city bus depot and can hear buses running (and the people who get on and off) into the night as well. There was also a beeping noise in the hallway that went off every 2-3 minutes -- if you're extremely sensitive to this sort of thing, don't stay on the 2nd floor. I think this was for an alarmed door that went down to the street level.

Extra perks:
Every night we were treated with a bag of 3 cookies (I'm assuming they're baked in the restaurant, as they were very fresh!). The first night was oatmeal and chocolate chip, the second night chocolate chip, and the last night a chocolate cookie with white chocolate.

Water pressure in the hotel is on the verge of crazy -- but will be good for people who hate so-so water pressure. Make sure to adjust the shower head to avoid feeling like you're being jabbed by needles on one particular setting!

Breakfast was served in the Fugazzi restaurant downstairs every morning. It's only served until 9am on weekdays (which I think is a bit early) and until 11am on weekends. They have a waffle station, orange juice (which I found really bitter tasting), coffee (regular and decaf), fruit (usually oranges and bananas), there were fresh strawberries on the Friday and Saturday, fruit salad on Sunday, granola, the usual packaged breakfast cereals and milk. There seemed to be a rotation of pastries, two days there were croissants (excellent!), one day there were small tarts and the next some sort of cream puff. There was also a small menu that you could order eggs, ham, etc. off of for an additional cost.

Check-out:
This is where I was very angry. There was nothing wrong with the bill slipped under the door -- that was completely fine. When we left at 7:30am on the Sunday, a man wearing a burgundy buttom-up shirt was working the front desk. I went up and placed my key on the counter. He walked to the computer in front of where I was standing and just looked at me. No 'good morning' or 'how was your stay?', NOTHING.

I said to him, 'checking out' and slid the key towards him. Again, NOTHING. He just looked at me. So I thought, maybe he didn't hear me, and said 'checking out' again. He SIGHED and looked at me, paused and said, 'Room number???' with such an attitude I almost felt like saying 'HEY, why don't we cut with the attitude??'. How am I to know what you need to know to do your job? And furthermore, a little politeness like, 'Good Morning' or SOME sort of greeting or acknowledgement would have gone a long way. Even sub-par hotels/motels I have stayed in at least have front desk people who have that common courtesy.

The rest of the check-out process went like that. RUDE, RUDE, RUDE. I would have rated the hotel an 'above average' if it hadn't been for the incident at the end to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Overall, the placement of the hotel is very good. It's within walking distance to the mall (2 blocks) that has a movie theatre with 20 screens, Williams-Sonoma, Eddie Bauer, Pottery Barn, GAP, Nordstrom's, etc. (The Macy's there is a little on the shady side though!). There are some good restaurants around as well, and you'll be able to find plenty to walk around and look at.

Stayed June 2007
4 Thank Pixiedoodle
Port Orchard, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2007

Our daughter chose Hotel Lusso for her wedding. We booked a limited suite and it was perfect for everyone getting ready in and with the convenience of having the wedding and reception downstairs. The hotel staff was phenomenal, their customer service was outstanding from their valet to maid service. We will definitely stay here again whenever we come to Spokane to visit our daughter and new son-in-law.

• Liked — Customer Service
  • Disliked — Beds were lumpy
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Chelan, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2007

I stayed here for the NCAA tournament. I was encouraged that the hotel was a member of SLH but it really doesn't live up to that designation.

The rooms are nice and spacious. The service was "so-so". Apparently they have an old heating system that has been referenced in previous reviews., It was warm the whole time we were in Spokane but I could not get the heat to turn off. An employee came to the room but said there was basically nothing they could do as it was an old system. Thankfully I had brought a fan and opened the window (NO SCREEN, watch the kids) for ventillation.

The included breakfast was cereal, fruit, and canned OJ, like what one would get at a Holiday Inn. There is no fitness facility and they charge 10 dollars to go up the street. Lastly, they charge your room 10 dollars for keys that is refunded if you return them.

Overall, the room was OK but I would expect more for the prices they charge. But, it is Spokane and there really isnt much else outside the Davenport.

• Stayed March 2007
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank gktmd22
Spokane, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2007

We live in the area and when we want a special treat we always stay here - the complimentary wine in the evening, the fantastic restaurant, the close proximity to shopping and the theatre, and the beautiful rooms can't be beat. We have tried other hotels but keep coming back to this one. They also have great packages - check out the website.

• Liked — Evening wine social!
  • Disliked — No spa service.
  • Tips/Secrets — Check out the hotel website for the best rate and special packages.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2006

I stayed here for a friend's wedding the weekend of Oct. 7. I was very disappointed. First of all, the bellman/valet gentleman, Don, was great. Everyone else lacked anything close to decent customer service skills.

They have done a nice job restoring the hotel. HOWEVER, they did not soundproof at all. We could hear every footstep our upstairs neighbors made....at 5:00 a.m.

Not to mention, the wonderful neighbors who returned to their room at 3:00 a.m., whose door slammed and woke us with a startle.

The rooms have nice furnishings and are OK size-wise. They aren't spacious by any means, but pretty large as far as historic hotel rooms go.

This hotel is classified as a small luxury hotel. I have stayed at some of the world's finest hotels, and I would not say this classification is accurate.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Customer service and noise levels
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Seattleshopper
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2006

I really appreciate a great rate on a luxury hotel, so I was pleasantly surprised to see a weekend rate for Hotel Lusso of just $119/night. For that, I got a nice queen room in a beautifully maintained historic hotel. While my room was smaller than the hotel's more expensive rooms, it was easily as big as an average suburban hotel at 331 square feet. The 14-foot ceilings throughout the hotel really add to the feeling of roominess. The lobby is really nice, and the room I had was very comfortable.

If you want to be in the center of Spokane's active downtown nightlife, than this is where to be. Riverpark Square is just a block away. Macy's, Nordstrom, and a 20-screen movie theatre are all right there. The nightlife extends into the hotel, as its Cavallino Lounge is swanky and lively. On this particular Friday night, the bar was packed. Get an excellent Mohito for $7, one of their specialties.

The restaurant is Fugazzi, and the entrance indicates it used to house a cigar shop. Now it's a steak house and a beautifully designed space. I wasn't able to eat dinner there, but this is also where you go for the hotel's continental breakfast, which is included in the hotel price. They have self-serve waffles, fruit, cereal, yogurt, the usual. The waitstaff is friendly and brings coffee and water to you (or self-serve if you like).

Valet service was a bit slow at times, as one person was acting as concierge, valet, etc. The cost was $12 a night. On the second night, I just parked on the street; and the hotel did NOT inadvertently charge me for that night (surprising, they were keeping track). Indeed, contrary to one reviewer, the hotel never tried to tack on extra charges for anything. The bill was exactly as expected.

The hotel offers free high speed wireless internet -- a rarity for this type of hotel. That's a major plus, and it worked well.

I read (maybe here) that Lusso has nightly turndown service. I didn't see it. However, three tasty chocolate chip cookies were wrapped in plastic and left in my room upon check-in.

Overall, Hotel Lusso is a great place. It's the rare luxury hotel with both free breakfast and high-speed internet access. Even the smallest rooms are a decent size. The hotel has great history and a better location. Of the high end hotels in Spokane, it offered the best price during my stay -- just a few bucks more than chain hotels along the freeway. If a travel pro was reviewing, they'd probably give it four stars. I give it five, primarily because on a comparison of Spokane hotels (for which Trip Advisor bases its rankings), it's certainly among the best. Toss in the extras, and Hotel Lusso is the nicest hotel in the city!

• Liked — I'll remember the lounge... very nice! Plus, it's walking distance to great shopping.
  • Disliked — I'd be nitpicking, but the valet/conceirge was a bit busy at times. They really needed one more person.
  • Tips/Secrets — Join the SLH club at their website. They will upgrade your room if available.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank GoingEverywhere